Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups ad space available Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

MIJ E series club.

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Dave G., Jul 7, 2015.

1. MagnusR

MagnusR Strat-O-Master

Feb 21, 2013
    Sweden
    Here are my E6 and E9. Some pups, switches and pots have been changed during the years but otherwise they are stock :) Mine since they were new.
    DSC_0155_4.jpg

muso.greg likes this.

2. Believer7713

Believer7713 Strat-O-Master

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    I also have this one in the contemporary series owners club. This is a great guitar with an amazing tone and feel. When I got it it was a basket case so while recovering from my last knee surgery I did the restoration. The paint was almost all gone and I really fell for the natural look on this one so it got clear coated. New frets and the p'ups weren't original so I went with a set of Alnico p'ups. Also had to replace a couple saddles since the screws were seized into them. The serial is really hard to see but itstarts with E7
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

muso.greg and 1980 like this.

3. Believer7713

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    From what I understand about the serial, yours would be an '89 because the second digit is a 9. E9=1989. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

DaveyC likes this.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Gardner

Gardner Strat-Talk Member

Aug 20, 2013
    NJ
    Strat.jpeg 1986. All original parts. Incidentally, I'd consider selling if someone is in the NJ area. Great guitar, but I'm looking at getting a 2012 American Standard.

6. noise boy

noise boy Strat-Talk Member

Apr 9, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    It's not that simple, per the Fender website the serial number is not a sure fire way to ID the year of the guitar, they didn't number them quite the specifically. The only thing that you can get is the higher the number the later the guitar was made.

7. echoes71

echoes71 Senior Stratmaster

Jul 15, 2013
    USA
    Even that isn't always the case.

8. Believer7713

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    You gotta love how Fender or even Fujigen Gakki didn't keep accessible records from that era...NOT.

Rockape likes this.

9. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    It's a common problem. Fender US have virtually no records before 1994-ish. It's like they never thought that folk in the future would be interested in their guitars. Which shows a remarkable lack of confidence in their product... :rolleyes:

Fuji-Gen, along with Tokai, seemed to play the typical Japanese game of playing their cards close to their chest & not releasing info on the sort of things that we are interested in, on the grounds that it's commercially sensitive information. The Japanese don't seem to believe in widespread disclosure of this sort of thing. It's possible that there are records somewhere, but I wouldn't advise anyone to hold their breath while waiting for these records to be made available to us. ;)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017

10. Believer7713

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    Don't worry I won't be holding my breath over this guitar unless it will help me play better.

11. Believer7713

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    Got another addition to this club. Just got it yesterday and loving it. I don't know what the no name humbucker is but it has a beautiful growl to it.
    1490630418538.jpg
    1490630428691.jpg

12. kris ford

kris ford Strat-Talker

Apr 30, 2017
    Detroit

13. nozi

nozi New Member!

Jul 11, 2017
    Cagliari
    Hi, new to the club! Mine is a 86 Contemporary Standard 22. A gift from my grandmother (that now is not in this world anymore) for my 18th birthday. Why some of you decided to swap the System One bridge for a 6 screws and did the change bring some sonic improvement? Thanks

14. noise boy

noise boy Strat-Talk Member

Apr 9, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    They aren't swapped, Fender Japan built lots of different models of Strats within the E-Serial number run, some with Fender System 1-3, Some with Kahler 2500 series trems, and lots with traditional 6 screw tremolos.

muso.greg likes this.

15. nozi

nozi New Member!

Jul 11, 2017
    Cagliari
    Thank you, noise boy :) I was referring (for example) to hogdog who wrote that he replaced his system ones whit 6 screws on two strats

16. Believer7713

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    Unfortunately the body cracked out on this one where the Floyd anchor (wood screw style) was poorly installed... body probably ruined. So I had to buy a new body and make it a Partscaster. It still has the E series parts from the old one.
    1499813613991.jpg

17. muso.greg

muso.greg Strat-Talker

The neck is almost always the best part on an E series IMO. It's a shame about the body cracking where the tremolo mounts. That is fixable if you (or someone else) feels it is worth the trouble. I would fix it if it was my guitar - it's labour intensive and not much needed in parts. However if you have to pay someone else for the labour...

18. muso.greg

muso.greg Strat-Talker

Everyone has their own reasons for doing things, and their own tastes. If there were parts missing or broken on a System 1 they are not easy to source and replace (but that's improved a bit recently!). I can't think of any reason that it would be a good idea to swap a System 1 tremolo out...! If you want to dive bomb they just don't do that well, but other than some Floyds and Kahlers not much does. The System 1 is as good as any tremolo I have tried, and better than many. A well set up six screw vintage style tremolo is OK if you use it for the occasional warble, and it "looks the goods" to some people. Just like the original Fender style tremolo the design of the System 1 is an ingenious mixture of simplicity with purpose but the System 1s performance parameters exceed the Fender 6 screw original 2 or 3 to 1.
    If anyone wants to get rid of there System 1 tremolo I am always buying - I put them on partscasters and my custom builds.

nozi likes this.