MIJ lefty Strat - seller says 2001 - I reckon 1993-4? Genuine?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Isca, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Isca

Isca Strat-Talk Member

Hey all, spotted an MIJ lefty Strat on Gumtree (our Craigslist equivalent here in the UK). He says he bought it new in a shop in 2002 and dates it as a 2001, but I think he messed up and went by the O serial without clocking that it's MIJ, not CIJ. As it's MIJ, O actually means it's 1993-4.

First up, this makes me question if he bought it new in 2002... I am thinking he looked up the serial, misdated it, then picked that year so that it sounds like he bought it soon after it was made, whereas the truth is it would've sat in the shop unpurchased for over half a decade if it's a 1993 or 1994.

That bit of possible misrepresentation aside, it does appear genuine to me. I think it's an ST62-65L.

My only other misgiving is that neither the 1993 nor 1994 catalogue shows a black option for this model. However, I do know the catalogues are not always night (it also lists one guitar as being maple fretboard, right next to a pic clearly showing a rosewood board!)

Have attached the guy's pictures. Any info or opinions from anyone more knowledgeable than me would be greatly appreciated! :)

P.S. he wants £450, which seems fair in the current market for a lefty of this age in this condition.

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      93.4 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      80.4 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      65.3 KB
      Views:
    • 4.JPG
      4.JPG
      File size:
      96.5 KB
      Views:
    • 5.JPG
      5.JPG
      File size:
      79.1 KB
      Views:
    3bolt79 and Jerseystratfiend like this.
  2. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Most Honored Senior Member

It is not an ST-62, but it is and ST-362....the give away are the the Fender logo on the headstock and the tuners....

It looks legit....black is always an option (usually the only option) for us southpaws....

I too do not believe the seller bought it new in '02....lefty guitars might sit around in a shop for a year or 2 before they sell, but 7/8 years is stretching it...

Being a lefty myself....the price here in the states for a 362 model would be about $400....obviously in the UK....YMMV....

3bolt79, Nubs, Isca and 1 other person like this.
  3. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Most Honored Senior Member

Here is a pic of one that owned back in the day.....an "E" series:

14.jpg

1.jpg

4. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

You are correct, this is from 1993/94, not 2002-era......

It's not an ST-62 at all, that would have split shaft tuners and the Fender 50s spaghetti logo

It's an ST-362, lower end model with ceramic pickups, and basswood body

450 quid is not a GREAT price on it....it's too high.....

3bolt79, Isca and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  5. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

Like @crawdaddy says, it's an ST362 and I reckon £100 too much.

6. Isca

Isca Strat-Talk Member

Thank you @crawdaddy @Thrup'ny Bit and @Guitarmageddon for the insights, I really appreciate it!

I'm trying to get my head around the used prices of MIJ/CIJ Strats... I actually haven't bought a used guitar for years and coming back to the fold, the second hand market seems nuts at present. The prices asked are just laughably high, but there also seems to be a supply/demand bottleneck, particularly in the lefty market where we're always used to slim pickings anyway. Any guitars I've been eyeing on Ebay go for way more than I would pay. People on furlough, cooped up in the pandemic, bored and looking for that adrenaline hit of grabbing a new axe maybe? I'd have expected a slew of people unloading gear to pay their bills etc, but if anything it seems to be the opposite.

For context I bought my main squeeze MIA Fenders back in the day for bargain prices - all imported from the States in the hallowed era of 2 dollars to the pound. My second hand American Standard Teles (of which I had 4 at one stage) only cost me about £500 each, AFTER shipping and customs, from the US! The cheapest I got on Ebay in poor cosmetic condition for £150... now obviously inflation happens and the pound now sucks, but it seems unbelievable to me that new Chinese instruments in 2020 are going for more than I ever paid for MIA stuff.

3bolt79, The_Whale and crawdaddy like this.
  7. Thrup'ny Bit

When I bought my MIJ ST54 in 1995 it cost £350, my son's Am Std Tele cost £700 two years later. I don't buy used, I think it's a bit of a mugs game and I know what I'm really looking at 99% of the time...

3bolt79 likes this.
  8. Isca

Isca Strat-Talk Member

@Thrup'ny Bit conversely, I've always been a used gear guy. Partly as I've always felt satisfaction in getting a bargain, but also because often the thing you are looking for as a lefty isn't made in a lefty version anymore. Also, I don't baby my instruments and have always gigged them heavily, thus I've never seen much value in paying a premium for showroom condition as I know they won't be that way for long. My guitars are chipped, dented and have rusty hardware from literal blood and sweat spilt on them onstage! When a bit stops working, I replace it. Been through a lot of bridge adjustment screws, 3-ways etc over the years...

9. balston11

balston11 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Whilst my friend from across the Pennines and I agree on many things this is an exception. I always buy used and take great care to know what I am getting. I must have bought over 100 guitars on ebay (mainly then sold them on) and I have had no disasters but obviously the odd minor issue. The most recent minor issue was a Westone Thunder 1 I paid £110 and the 3 way switch gave up after a couple of days but 12 months later and these are in some cases fetching over £200 I just need to get round to doing the repair should be easy.

3bolt79 and Isca like this.
  10. Thrup'ny Bit

Oh, if you want to buy used guitars, that's fine. I don't sell guitars, if I didn't want to keep them, I wouldn't buy them.

3bolt79, Belexes and Mike Furlong like this.
  11. Isca

Isca Strat-Talk Member

Oh a tangent but still on the subject of new vs old, how do the current Player Strats match up against older Japanese stuff? I've heard good things about MIA Fenders being more consistent and better made in recent years - is this also true of MIM? Would I be better grabbing a 2020 Player instead of an MIJ/CIJ from the 90s/00s, given the prices aren't much different?

3bolt79 likes this.
  12. Guitarmageddon

The MIJ/CIJ will be WAY WAY higher quality than the MIM, and @Thrup'ny Bit would agree with me, but a lot on this forum wouldn't......the only advantage the MIM has to me is perhaps better pickups.....

13. Thrup'ny Bit

I have a more expensive MIM, the Classic Player 50s. It's close to the MIJs for quality, but not as close as the Squier Classic Vibe is to it.

If that make sense at all.

Mike Furlong, Isca and Guitarmageddon like this.
  14. Guitarmageddon

I've never found one single MIM Fender product I like the quality of, new, used, old, recent, every one I worked on for customers needed a fret level and crown.....100% of like 30 guitars......so that made my mind up......even brand new ones bought from the shop last week.....

3bolt79 and Mike Furlong like this.
  15. Thrup'ny Bit

The quality and quality control on the first batch of CP50s out of the factory in 2006 was the best you'll see. The quality of the Player and Vinteras doesn't look good so far, from those I've seen in the shops and the reports here on the forum.

3bolt79, Isca and Guitarmageddon like this.
  16. Isca

Isca Strat-Talk Member

None of my guitars have stock pickups and I normally also completely rewire with proper lefty taper CTS pots, so I tend to base my choices on what guitar has the best fit and finish neck and bodywise. If the current MIM aren't great when it comes to the basics, I guess I'll steer clear! Thanks for the info.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  17. Thrup'ny Bit

You have to make your own mind up about things, I play a Harley Benton and love it to bits. :p

18. Isca

Isca Strat-Talk Member

I've been tempted by their Rickenbacker 4003 copy!

3bolt79 and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  19. Thrup'ny Bit

My least favourite bass ever, but each to his own perversion :)

20. Isca

Isca Strat-Talk Member

Haha! I've always liked their look and sound, but have never played one due to the price and scarcity of lefties :)

3bolt79 likes this.