MIJ lefty Strat - seller says 2001 - I reckon 1993-4? Genuine?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Isca, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

For the price of the HB you can hardly go wrong. The quality and playability of their guitars is excellent. 3 days to get here from Germany... :whistling:

3bolt79 and Isca like this.
  2. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Most Honored Senior Member

When speaking of used prices.....yes you are going to need to be a bit more diligent...but there are some decent prices around....Yesterday I received a 2018 Am Pro that is in perfect condition that I paid $690 + $25 shipping....deals are out there

IMG_20201117_083706627.jpg

As for MIM, MIJ, MIA comparisons, I know many many people feel MIJ is the way to go.....and for right handed players, maybe this is the case...I feel Fender Japan does us lefty's a disservice with what they offer us....such as can't even do a correct decal on the headstock, offering the cheapest P/U's with no upgraded models, basswood bodies with no upgrade options....I am not saying they are junk...when I play one of my MIJ's, I have never thought about the body wood...

I have a few MIM strats, a few MIJ strats, and way more than a few MIA strats.....they are all nice guitars...Will there be issues with the guitars...yeah, that will happen no matter where it is manufactured....fret sprout happens....

As a lefty, I feel the one advantage that we have is the guitars are built in limited numbers and such there are probably a limited number of builders building these guitars....so in a sense, we get semi-custom shop guitars for the price of an everyday guitar....

Like someone above stated regarding HB guitars....I too have an HB that I love....I rotate my strats on a regular basis, but my HB has been hanging on the wall next to my desk since the day I received it....and it was stupid money....like $180 w/an upgraded gig bag and that price included the shipping from Germany to the US.....

Here is a quick pic of my HB....

IMG_20201117_091426898_HDR.jpg

Best of luck on whatever you decide to do...

3. Isca

Isca Strat-Talk Member

@crawdaddy I have considered HB's offsets, simply because the new price of the current Fender MIJ offsets here is way too steep for me (£1000/$1300) and they're holding their value in the used market.

Below that, there's a big drop to the CV Squier Jazzmaster which I've heard mixed things about.

In general, whilst Fenders are indeed my main axes and I love their designs, I don't feel a huge sense of brand loyalty to them and would be just as happy with a high quality guitar with another name on it. I've owned other Japanese brands over the years and found them to be great value - still regret parting with a couple of MIJ Tokais. Fender have annoyed me over the years with their paucity of lefty offerings, and I still can't forgive them for the righty-only Jagstang release back in the day...

3bolt79 and crawdaddy like this.
  4. Thrup'ny Bit

The only reason I ever bought a Fender was that some scrote stole my Tokai, Christmas 1995... :mad::mad::mad::mad:

3bolt79 likes this.
  5. HighwayStar106

HighwayStar106 Senior Stratmaster

Another Harley Benton recommendation here. I've got one of their necks on a partscaster, and the frets and nut are literally flawless, which they never are on cheap guitars in my experience. Or some expensive ones for that matter.

Of course you could always buy a right-handed Strat and do a Hendrix...

3bolt79 and Isca like this.
  6. Isca

Isca Strat-Talk Member

Hmm, good to get revenge on all the rightys who have 'done a Hendrix' to lefty Strats... I really, REALLY hate when I see that, because us lefties are already short of instruments without righty cannibalising our precious guitars! ;)

3bolt79, Nubs, HighwayStar106 and 2 others like this.
  7. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Most Honored Senior Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You tell 'em brother......:whistling::D:whistling::D

3bolt79, Isca and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  8. Isca

Isca Strat-Talk Member

@crawdaddy @Thrup'ny Bit @Guitarmageddon my quest for a lefty Strat continues... just wondering what you folks thought of this, please?

It appears to be 2004-2005, in good condition - missing tremolo compartment cover and the scratchplate is non-original, but he says he has the original still.

I am pretty sure it's an ST57-65L. He wants £550. 65k yen is about £480 in today's money, so obviously the price exceeds its original price, but I'm unsure how much inflation plays into this since the mid 2000s... obviously you can't always judge a used price today by original RRP.

How much do you guys think would be a fair price for this? The guy lives about an hour from me, so I am tempted to offer him cash in person and maybe get a bit off.

As always, your knowledgeable input is gratefully received! ;)

Nubs likes this.
  9. Thrup'ny Bit

You can't guess at which model ST57 it is by looking at the outside. The Yen price means absolutely nothing after it landed in this country. :p I can't see the front of the headstock, or the underside of the pickups and the wiring.

3bolt79 and Guitarmageddon like this.
  10. Isca

Isca Strat-Talk Member

I may be speaking from a place of ignorance here, but I think one can guess which ST57 it is with the lefties easier than rightys, as there are far fewer models - at least in the catalogue! The 65L is the only maple-fretboarded lefty of the 57 type in 2004 or 2005.

Here's the lefty page in the 2004 catalogue.

Forgot to include headstock photo... here it is, the usual lefty Japanese 'Fender with nothing else' ;)

d.jpg

11. Thrup'ny Bit

Well, the string tree says ST54, not ST57.

This is mine

ST54HSs.png

Isca likes this.
  12. Isca

Isca Strat-Talk Member

Hmm, that's interesting - you're right, the string tree does look like a different kind on the 57s in the catalogue... however, there is no ST54 in a lefty model shown! Maybe they made some guitars that didn't make it to the catalogue? I don't see a lefty ST54 in any of the earlier catalogues either. The mystery deepens...

crawdaddy likes this.
  13. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

There are tons of guitars that never made it to the catalogs....just enjoy it!

Thrup'ny Bit and Isca like this.
  14. Isca

Isca Strat-Talk Member

Well, I haven't bought it yet, so can't enjoy it until I decide to buy it or not, hehe :D Am deciding if it is worth it or not :)

15. Guitarmageddon

Worth how much?

16. Isca

Isca Strat-Talk Member

As I said above, the seller wants £550 for it (that's 951 of your Canadian dollars!)

17. Guitarmageddon

Well, that's high, but it IS a lefty......so if you think it's worth it, go for it - can you try it in person or is this an online purchase?

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  18. Isca

Isca Strat-Talk Member

I'd probably have to meet up with him in a nearby city, so could potentially have a strum! Yeah, it's hard to know how righty prices translate to lefties, as supply and demand is different for us southpaws.

19. Thrup'ny Bit

Lefties were always pretty rare and always cost extra. If I recall, sunburst used to be £25 extra and lefties another £25 back in 1995 when I bought my black right handed one. :p

Isca likes this.
  20. Thrup'ny Bit

Most of them seem to have come here. :D

Isca likes this.