MIJ lefty Strat - seller says 2001 - I reckon 1993-4? Genuine?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Isca, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Isca

Isca Strat-Talk Member

@Thrup'ny Bit I've touched base with the seller and asked him if he's willing to take the scratchplate off and photograph the pickups and electronics :) Hopefully that'll help get an ID on this! I cannot find any lefty ST54 anywhere online, so it's an interesting mystery to try and unpick :) I've also said I'd love to see the neck pocket, but I understand if he's not willing to go to the trouble.

2. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Most Honored Senior Member

You are correct....Fender Japan didn't make an ST-54 for us lefty's.....but maybe just maybe someone had this guitar built to their specs.....

I am looking at the P/U's and notice that they are staggered....most likely not original to the guitar or like stated above....someone had this guitar built to their specs....The el cheapo P/U's Fender Japan offers us lefty's are not staggered....

The only way to tell if it is a '54 or '57 is to take the neck off....

As for the price only you know what you are willing to pay, but to me it doesn't sound to to bad....my Fiesta Red ST-57 wouldn't leave my hands for less than $900US....I did sell an St-62 a few years ago for right around $800....

Good luck to you...

Isca and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  3. Isca

Isca Strat-Talk Member

Thanks for your insights, very useful, particularly regarding the staggered pickups and the ST54 not being available as a lefty ever, which I suspected as I have not managed to find another like it online anywhere! The seller has agreed to take the scratchplate off and photograph the guts, so that will give some extra insight I hope :)

crawdaddy likes this.
  4. Nubs

Nubs Strat-O-Master

That 2-tone strat is SEX!! So nice looking!

Isca likes this.
  5. Isca

Isca Strat-Talk Member

I think he made the right choice going with the black scratchplate, it gives it more character than the white original :)

6. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

It reminds me too much of the late 1970s, when every Fender (and more importantly, every copy that us kids could almost afford) looked like that.

I suppose you really had to be there to appreciate the return to white scratchplates.

crawdaddy and Isca like this.
  7. Isca

Isca Strat-Talk Member

Conversely, when I was a kid in the 90s, every run of the mill Squier Affinity was sunburst with a white scratchplate - indeed, that was how my very first guitar looked! ;)

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  8. Thrup'ny Bit

Strats white, Teles black and all's right with the world. :p

goto.png

Guitarmageddon, crawdaddy and Isca like this.
  9. Isca

Isca Strat-Talk Member

Meet my twin gals, Dawn and Eve ;) Dawn is very upset by your blanket statement about Telecasters, and wants you to admit that she is just as pretty :D

(They're my trusty pair of American Standard Teles, '98 and '99, both with Rio Grande pickups; Muy Grandes in the white one, Muy Grande/Tallboy in the black one.)

Twins-7576.jpg

Nubs and crawdaddy like this.
  10. Thrup'ny Bit

My son bought himself one like your white one in 1997. He's never changed a thing on it except the strings. He loves it to bits.

Isca likes this.
  11. Lost Sailor

Lost Sailor Strat-O-Master

I really disliked my MIJ '68 reissue' lefty, new in '95 - maple neck burst....
    Compared side by side with my ole '72 it sounded thin and weak and the neck hurt my hand, and basswood felt more like balsa.....I couldn't wait to get rid of it.....in '12 I found a lefty MIM that was so nice I thought it was MIA until I looked closer.
    I really like it and the neck feels like the one on my Fullerton.....I did replace the pickups to V mods that are right hand --

Isca likes this.
  12. Isca

Isca Strat-Talk Member

I used to gig these guitars HARD and they were played at about 300-400 high energy rock shows, so wear and tear means a lot has been changed on them... Graphtech nuts, totally rewired with CTS reverse audio pots, CRL 3-ways (been through multiple switches on each guitar), Schaller straplocs, Graphtech String Saver saddles on the black one, totally lined their cavities with copper... oh, and the white one is technically a partscaster as the body is from an early 2000s American Standard! I have its original body, but it's in a real state... the original owner hammered a bunch of nails into it and covered it in stickers! If these were nitro the finish would be half off after the life they've had, but this thick poly is impervious to regular wear (both have a few small chips, mostly along the bottom edge - you can see the most prominent on the white one)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020 at 8:24 AM
  13. Isca

Isca Strat-Talk Member

It's really hard to compare instruments as I barely get a chance to play any lefties where I live before buying. I have a local friend with almost 40 lefties in his collection, including several MIJ Fenders, but those are all post-2016 modern FSR ones - the quality is really lovely on those guitars. I've never held an older MIJ Fender, and the only MIM Fender I've ever held is my current Jazz Bass.

People always say if you 'pick a good one', you can find amazing MIMs - and of course dud MIAs - but as you are probably aware, us lefties rarely have the luxury of walking into a store and trying 10 different guitars of the same model! ;)

If the deal with this ST54(?) above doesn't come to anything, I'll hold out for a used MIA or maybe even have a go with a MIM Player if one comes up for the right price.

Nubs likes this.
  14. Nubs

Nubs Strat-O-Master

1000% agree. Black PGs look so much better on a burst body IMO. White just seems to interrupt the natural flow of the colors.

I had a burst MIM tele a while back where I swapped the PG to black. It looked so much better!

Bland and boring:
    [​IMG]

Much better:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Isca and crawdaddy like this.
  15. Isca

Isca Strat-Talk Member

Oh yes, that looks tons better! For me I think black guard is the best for black or burst bodies, and white/parchment is best for anything else. I've tried a black guard on my white Tele and didn't like it at all, and I'm not keen on pearloid or tortie guards at all.

Nubs likes this.
  16. Isca

Isca Strat-Talk Member

@crawdaddy @Thrup'ny Bit @Guitarmageddon hope I'm not bothering you guys, but I got a chance to look at the guts of that 2004 MIJ I posted about and I'd love to hear your well-informed opinions!

It's not great news, unfortunately...

i.jpg j.jpg

k.jpg m.jpg

...neck is stamped ST57 but has 54-style string tree.... body is stamped ST362, so low-end... and pickups are definitely non-original, a set from GFS, so probably OK but definitely at the budget end of the spectrum.

At this stage I'm thinking this guitar is not worth the £550 he's asking. He seemed open to an offer, but I'm not sure I am sold on this any more - with the original pickups missing and the odd partscaster-esque assortment of parts, I'm thinking I may be better to look elsewhere. What do you guys reckon?

17. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

body markings mean nothing when it comes to Fender Japan - I had an ST-57 from 1985 with a factory ST-62 body, etc....body is basswood, looks 100% right as it should.......

it's not a partscaster, it's 100% original except the loaded pickguard or electronics....

Can you try for like 450-500? It's well worth that.....the GFS are considered by many an upgrade over what was probably stock low end ceramic bar magnet pickups....if this was a normal righty I'd say don't buy it, but lefties are HARD to come by and this one is considered by many to be 'upgraded'.....

18. Isca

Isca Strat-Talk Member

Thanks for your quick response! So you're saying a genuine ST57 sometimes came with an ST362-stamped body, and it's the neck marking that is important? That's more reassuring to know. And the round ST54-style string tree? Maybe just all they had in the parts bucket at the factory that day? ;) Or maybe a previous owner swapped it for the look? I will see if he'll go to 450 :)

Guitarmageddon likes this.
  19. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

YES, I'm saying consistency was never guaranteed with Fender Japan, and much more so on lefty guitars.....the string tree's been changed, no big deal.....it didn't leave the factory with that string tree.....

Isca and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  20. Thrup'ny Bit

The model goes by the neck stamp, mine has an ST62 body too. The round string tree is much nicer than the butterfly any day, it's actually engineered. As it's a lefty and it's what you want the price isn't prohibitive. Buy it you know you want to.

goon.gif

No pressure of course. :p

Isca and Guitarmageddon like this.