MIJ lefty Strat - seller says 2001 - I reckon 1993-4? Genuine?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Isca, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Isca

Isca Strat-Talk Member

Oh great, now you've made me get My Lovely Horse in my head and I'm going to have to revisit Father Ted again! ;)

2. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

ezgif.com-resize.gif

3. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Most Honored Senior Member

As for the body being stamped ST-362....when it comes to left handed guitars, it makes absolutely no difference....since the 90's (probably even late 80's) all Fender Japan has offered us is Basswood....don't know why they don't just stamp them ST and leave it at that....

As for the electronics, I know some people like GFS....myself....kinda ugh....the ones that I had a while back were pretty tinny sounding...the lasted about a week and went start....

I guess only you can decide if you want the guitar....and maybe to you the electronics will be ok....

Good luck on your decision.....

Thrup'ny Bit and Isca like this.
  4. Isca

Isca Strat-Talk Member

Thanks! The GFS appear to be their alnico staggers, which are about 18USD each, so the bottom of the bargain basement. GFS pickups are made by Artec IIRC, and people seem to praise GFS but slate Artec, so I reckon a lot of the GFS talk is undeserved hype...

To be honest I'm torn... I am quite tempted to just hold out for a decent US-made Strat at this stage. Or grab one of the new FSR MIJ lefties in the current/upcoming black Friday sales, perhaps.

People are paying silly money for used stuff currently here in the UK; I just saw a couple of older MIM Strats go for close to the price of a b-stock Player. Christmas coming up, plus people on lockdown looking for a retail therapy adrenaline hit I suppose? Heck, I suppose I'm right there too ;)

5. Isca

Isca Strat-Talk Member

[​IMG]

Just spotted this on Reverb, it's rather floating my boat... MIM Plus Top in near mint condition, 2013. £415 and open to offers. Consider my head turned! Doing some research on it now ;)

crawdaddy likes this.
  6. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

That's a much lower end guitar quality wise than the MIJ.....in my opinion many others.....price isn't so great either I don't think @415....it's just a Standard with ceramic pickups etc, and a nicer top veneer...

Isca likes this.
  7. Isca

Isca Strat-Talk Member

Yeah, on further inspection it's just a standard MIM of that period with a flamed top... the guy has now lowered his asking price to 450 on the CIJ, so I think I will go for it :)

Guitarmageddon likes this.
  8. crawdaddy

I had a 2015 in Tobacco Burst w/rosewood neck, that I regret selling....but I did get $450 for it in 2019.....really wish I could find another one.... 20190522_145111.jpg

I thought it was a great guitar....

I forgot, I also had a 2015 in Cherry Burst w/a maple neck...

20181107_151422.jpg

Isca likes this.
  9. Isca

Isca Strat-Talk Member

Oh, that's interesting to hear! How do you feel those guitars stack up? Were they basically identical to other MIMs of that era, beyond the cosmetics?

Though I have to say I do favour maple necks :)

crawdaddy likes this.
  10. crawdaddy

Both of these guitars were from 2015....so they aren't really that old....yes, they are just like other MIM guitars from recent years...very nice guitars.

I know others feel that MIJ are better than MIM, but to me the left handed ones seem to be on par with each other. The both had Ceramic P/U's, though the MIM Player strats now have Alnico P/U's...They both had 21 frets....the MIM's were Alder, the MIJ's were Basswood....etc

If you have the chance, you might want to look for the newer Player series. I have a couple of them and love them. They now have 22 frets (not a big deal to me, but nice), they now have sweet Alnico P/U's, and the fit and finish on the ones I have are fantastic....

Here is a pic of my Tidepool Player next to my LPB American Standard strat...

20200703_104642.jpg

Isca likes this.
  11. Isca

Isca Strat-Talk Member

@crawdaddy thanks for the lowdown on the lefty MIMs... I will try one sometime in the future, but for now it looks like I'm gonna go ahead with this CIJ Strat! He's dropped his price and I'm gonna go and take a look on Monday :)

crawdaddy likes this.
  12. crawdaddy

Cool, you can't go wrong if it sings to you....we will be awaiting a NGD next week.....and you are welcome....there are some very knowledgeable people here.... and you have met only 2 (guitarmageddon & Trup'ny Bit) of the many that will help steer you in the right direction...

Take care and have a great weekend

Isca likes this.
  13. Isca

Isca Strat-Talk Member

Cheers, thanks again for all your help, you guys are great! I will post a new thread if/when the new Strat is safely home with me! Have a great Sunday :)

14. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member

I’m thinking you would be better off. Alnico vs ceramic pups. Decent size frets. Just make sure that everything works on your new guitar. I had a couple of players where the truss rod didn’t work fully.

Not really sure what your budget is, but my favorite Strat right now is my Fender Vintera 70’s Strat, which unlike the player, comes with a gig bag. But I bought a case for mine.

I paid a few bucks over 800 bux (something like $806) for it brand new last year, which isn’t a whole lot more money than the Player series. They don’t make them anymore due to the whole ash shortage thing. But maybe they will give us a solid color option with a different kind of wood , like alder for the body, next year.

If you can afford a Vintera, check out the modified Vintera model. Has a push/pull pot for adding the neck pickup in I guess and has a 9.5 radius fretboard, vs 7.25 radius on the 50’s and 60’s models. Also the frets may be bigger on the modified. Not too sure about that. Mine has tiny vintage size frets.

Isca likes this.
  15. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

The only MIM I'd look at is the Classic Player 50s, I have one of those, it's not a patch on my old ST54, I bought it as a spare...

And I prefer the ceramic pickups in the MIJ to the 57/62s in the MIM.

16. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member

‘I’m batting about close to 1 out of 4. I had two players and one Vintera I had to return for truss rod issues. In the last year. 4th one was a Vintera that was perfect. I had to do a full set up on it, and cut the nut properly to lower the first fret action (first fret notes were sharp) and the whammy wouldn’t stay in tune. But the frets were level on both the Vintera I got. Not so with the player guitars.

17. Isca

Isca Strat-Talk Member

Don't confuse a poor second class citizen lefty with talk of colour options, modified specs, Vintera line etc... that's all stuff that is located in the 'righties only' part of the store ;)

crawdaddy and Guitarmageddon like this.