MIJ O serial number Strat 93/94? Halp!

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by freetheradio79, Jan 18, 2021.

1. freetheradio79

freetheradio79 New Member!

I recently bought a used 50’s style MIJ sunburst strat with a maple fretboard. It has a 50’s style larger V shaped neck a hardtail and the saddles on the bridge say fender on them with Kluson style vintage tuners. It also has the round or circular string swing on the headstock. The serial number begins with an O than 6 digits after. After some research the O series was produced in 1993-1994. The finish is considerably more dull than a typical polyurethane finish. The only sheen it has really is in the cutaways between the horn and the neck.
    I’m really curious to know if it could be nitrocellulose or a laquer style finish. Also some of the finish is chipped away on the fret board which is atypical for most poly finishes right?Also if it is a basswood or alder body. Anyway if anyone could give me more info about the guitar and its value I’d greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  2. SonOfLerome

SonOfLerome Strat-O-Master

Pictures please! Also, welcome.

3. balston11

balston11 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

freetheradio79 and rafasounds like this.
  4. rafasounds

rafasounds Senior Stratmaster

The finishes on most Fender Japan guitars are a very thin polyester, not polyurethane. Very different from the cheesy PU we find in most guitars of today. A few of them came with lacquer finishes but very rare. It’s common that these guitars show wear patterns similar to real vintage Fenders.

5. bikehomero

bikehomero Strat-Talker

Welcome to the forum. As mentioned before, round string tree was used at 54RI but a hardtail bridge is not typical to a 54. Yes, we need pictures.

rafasounds and freetheradio79 like this.
  6. freetheradio79

Here are some pics. I noticed it says with synchronized tremolo on the headstock but it’s a hardtail. Unfortunately I don’t have a pic right now of the back. I’m guessing it’s a ST54-110 similar to the ST54-900 that pick ups vintage alnico USA and an alder body.? If this is correct what do these sell for?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  7. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Senior Stratmaster

Well we could always do with more pictures ... the more you have the easier to determine which model ... particularly internals and neck pockets etc. but so far that certainly looks like a hardtail ST54.

8. freetheradio79

Ok I’ll send some more in a few hours when I get home. Cheers

9. balston11

freetheradio79 likes this.
  10. freetheradio79

Here are more pics I opened up the removed the pick guard the other day and didn’t see any writing or markings. I’m not gonna take the neck off. I just hate doing that.

Attached Files:

11. balston11

Yes seems to be an ST54 hardtail I have had a look around and even though these are not in the catalogues they seem to have made a few around 1990 to 1994 some pictures show the neck pocket seem to have NT stamped in (No trem???). I am not sure what versions they made but there was at least an ST54-48 which would have been a very low end model. I have seen one stamped as export and one not.

12. rafasounds

rafasounds Senior Stratmaster

Body is Alder or Ash (or Sen which was used in Japanese guitars at the time), but I think Alder.

The knobs and pickup covers don't look original to me.

Looks like someone attempted to sand the finish on the fretboard. Two frets are completely sanded. The wear pattern doesn't look natural to me on the fretboard.