Join Strat-Talk Today

MIJ Question: ST-62 VSP vs ST-62 TX

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by bobwalnut, Feb 7, 2020.

1. bobwalnut

bobwalnut Strat-Talk Member

Hi friends,

Sort of new to the community but have a quick question. I've caught the Strat bug and I'm looking to pickup a nice MIJ model. I've heard wonders about the ST-62 VSP and have recently come across the ST-62 TX.

My question is, besides the pickups being different (Alnico Pickups vs Texas Special Pickups), are there any other differences between the two; ie: components, finish, wood? Does anyone know what years both of these guitars were produced? They both seem a bit more difficult to find than other MIJ strats.

Also, feel free to suggest any other models!

Thanks for your time..

2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Welcome to the forum!!

What years? what specific guitars? These were all different from all years, and the ones in the early to mid 90s with Fender Japan Texas specials sold at several different price points, some with basswood bodies, some with alder, etc.....

a VSP is a much higher end guitar, if it TRULY is what the seller claims - a lot of times they're not. Alder bodies for sure, nitro finish, alnico fiber bobbin Fender Japan pickups (lower output than Texas Specials, more 'vintage strat' type tones) and USA CTS pots and USA 5-way switch....or 3-way on some.....

Any high end ST-62 is a great guitar......but again it was sold by price point....

For example something that sold for 55,000 Japanese Yen when new would be a much lower end guitar with ceramic pickups and basswood body.....compared to the 110,000 of one with an alder body and alnico pickups.....

So it's the designation after the model.....like ST-62-110, ST-62-85, ST-62-55 etc ......and a lot of sellers don't know, so you can only tell what 'level' it was by opening it up and looking inside....

Values have been crazy high by some sellers too, unless it's a nitro finish VSP I would never pay over $700 US absolute max for one......

Most of the ST-57's and ST-62's trade in the 400-650 range....depending on what specs it has....

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    diogoguitar and velvet_man like this.
  3. bobwalnut

I appreciate the in depth reply, I wasn't expecting that! I think the VSP is what I'm truly after. It looks like Ishibashi is selling 3 VSP's ranging from $1,100-$1,200.

diogoguitar likes this.
  4. Guitarmageddon

Those are ridiculous prices...you could get an actual first run JV Squier from 1982 for that kind of money.....or an actual USA made Fender reissue for not much more.....

You also have to pay import fees and high shipping from Japan, I'd avoid it if possible.....

The real value of a VSP is somewhere in the 800 US range.....maybe a bit more if it was pre-1994 FujiGen Gakki built....

5. bobwalnut

Actually, when I look at their website and convert the JPY, the price ends up being way less than what they're listed for on Reverb/Ebay ($655-$820 usd). Maybe they're priced higher on other sites to make up for the fee those places take? Maybe I'm converting them incorrectly??

https://www.ishibashi.co.jp/u_box/e/eubox.php?key=VSP&T=gazo

6. Guitarmageddon

Well....that does seem like better pricing, but those prices probably don't include the $150 or so shipping fee.....

Have you played vintage spec Strats before? 7.25" fretboard radius? small vintage frets? wide vintage 2 7/32" spacing at the bridge? Pickups that hum in all 5 positions?

Just wondering before you commit to something.....

A used Mexico Made Fender Classic Series 60s would feel similar, if you could try one out first in person...that is if you haven't yet....

Not sure what your playing experience and current collection is like?

7. bobwalnut

You're an absolute legend for these replies. Thank you again.

I have played a 1960's CS Strat in another life when I had more $$$.

My main guitar now is one of those MIJ Pawn Shop Mustang Specials.

Have you played a VSP before?

8. Guitarmageddon

Never played a VSP, but I did have a top of the line ST-57-115 (115,000 Yen) from December 1985......E6 serial...and it was well played, and sounded and played amazing......

9. bobwalnut

10. Guitarmageddon

11. bobwalnut

Hi again GuitarMeageddon,

I've tracked down a 1986 ST-57 Reissue (MIJ) with serial number E636353. Any way of telling which of the ST-"xxx" models it is? Seller isn't sure.

12. Guitarmageddon

You'll have to see the wood grain and look under the hood - there is no way of knowing. If it's sunburst usually you can tell the body wood - and the pickups if they are flat pole are usually ceramic (non staggered) - but not always. Solid color = no way of knowing the wood without taking the neck off.

How much is it? Got pics or a link?

13. bobwalnut

Again, you're a damn legend. It's an ST-57-55 for $750. Way too much IMO, especially for being the bottom of the line of that series.

At this point I think I may actually go after one of those new Vintera 50s Fender is making. Have you played one?

14. Guitarmageddon

Total ripoff - that's a guitar worth less than $500.....

basswood body and ceramic pickups then?

I think you should look at the older Classic Series 50s/60s instead of Vintera.....it's more vintage accurate and closer in specs to MIJ 'reissues'

15. bobwalnut

I'm assuming so...The seller didn't know about the wood but according to various sites I've read, definitely basswood. He actually was selling the guitar with Fat 50's PU's but I still think it's too overpriced.

You know, I've been told the same thing about the Classic Series. Going to keep an eye out an MIJ still but from everything I've heard the CS Strats are great?

16. Masamichi

Masamichi New Member!

Hi !

All of "MIJ ST-57" in 1986 is used alder body. ST-57-115 is made of all of Fender USA parts and lacquer finish. ST-57-85 was made of all Japanes parts with lacquer finish. ST-57-55 was all Japanese parts with poly finish. But PUs are Fender USA for all of them. At that time, Fender Japan made the best quality electric guitar in the world.

But price is always problem for Stratcaster fun.

Can you get used "Fujigen" low-end Stratcaster type model in US? Fujigen is good quality guitar maker in Japan and inexpensive. Actually, all of vintage MIJ were producted by Fujigen. So pretty much you can say you got the same quality guitar as vintage MIJ. Vintage Japanese guitar collecters are very carefull about it's made by Fujigen or not.

Enjoy looking for your next guitar.

Attached Files:

Stratomike likes this.
  17. Guitarmageddon

Incorrect - the Fender Japan catalogs of the time show basswood on the lower end models

http://brochures.yokochou.com/guitar-and-amp/fenderjapan/1986/en_03.html

18. bobwalnut

Thanks again for your insight, still on the hunt

19. Masamichi

Masamichi New Member!

Attached Files:

20. Mankonis

Mankonis Strat-Talk Member

Hello guys.

Nice conversation here.
    I have an E-serial Mij Strat. The date on the heel says it was built in 1989.
    Unfortunately, on the neck only STD-57 is written, nothing else.

Staggered Alnico pickups, cheap electronics, spaghetti logo. Looks like it's basswood?

I feel a bit confused about what it is. I would think it's cheapest 55000 model though.
    Maybe someone can confirm or give more details?
    I am just curious.

here are some pics:

20191102_222022.jpg 20191102_221011.jpg 20191102_221855.jpg 20191102_222031.jpg 20191102_222059.jpg 20191124_123444.jpg 20191124_123457.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.