MIJ ST-62 stamp in neck pocket, ST-54 neck?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Scooter, May 13, 2020.

1. Scooter

Scooter Strat-Talk Member

Hello, long time lurker. I have a '94 54 RI MIJ Strat, two tone sunburst. Best I can tell from the grain it is alder. I purchased it in '96 from a music store employee who I know. He had bought it new, realized he was a Tele guy, and sold it to me. Here's the thing - I never paid attention until now because I'm sending the neck off for a re-fret, but there's an ST-62 stamp in the neck pocket (VERY faint) and the neck is stamped ST-54. P-series serial number. The guy I bought it from didn't swap the neck.

I don't have extensive knowledge of MIJ Strats but I know that an ST-62 stamp is normally a '62 reissue, isn't it?

Or did Fender Japan sometimes mix and match bodies and necks with different stamps?

I have a long history with this Strat. TONS of gigs. I've swapped the neck two different times but I'm going back to the original, this time refretted with larger frets. I swapped the pickups to 57/62's, and I presently have a Dimarzio Heavy Blues in the bridge (may go back to the 57/62). I replaced the trem with a Wilkenson, and at some point had it rewired with CTS pots. It's as good or better than MANY American Strats I've played. The poly finish is a little thicker than I'd like but it has some honest "real world" relicing on it. I'm sure there are better Strats out there but I see no reason to seek one out. It's a great guitar.

diogoguitar and mutato like this.
  2. Scooter

Scooter Strat-Talk Member

Answered my own question! Found a thread here stating that it wasn't uncommon for ST-54's to have ST-62 stamped in the neck pocket. So there ya go. Or there I go, that is.

I also learned that maybe I shouldn't be calling it a "reissue"? Which is fine. I just call it "the Strat" :D.

3. Michael919

Michael919 Senior Stratmaster

Glad you found your answer. Yes, technically it isn't a '54 reissue model, but it is somewhat modeled after a '54,so, it kind of is. :)

Sounds like a keeper. There's something cool about having a guitar for a long time. Enjoy!

4. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

The basic guide is neck and scratchplate, maple and 8 hole single ply ST54 or ST57, rosewood and 11 hole three ply ST62. The bodies just provided different colour combinations.

Scooter and Michael919 like this.
  5. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Senior Stratmaster

Happy you found your answer but if you think you're getting away without showing us pictures you've got another thing coming Scooter!

Welcome and lets see this 'strat'. I have a CIJ ST72 and LOVE it.

Michael919 likes this.
  6. Michael919

Michael919 Senior Stratmaster

^^^^ What he said!!! Pics!