MIJ ST-72 CST50R (55 series?) Pricing in Europe?..

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Kvoh, Jan 14, 2022 at 6:44 AM.

1. Kvoh

Kvoh New Member!

Hi there folks,

Wanted to inquire about pricing on the above spec'd Strat in Europe. It seems prices are awfullly high as of late, and I'm conflicted on buying in at this point in time due to it. However, I'm also concerned prices are only going to get worse over time..

Anyways, I'm looking at ST-72 from 1984 with an e serial number that's priced at around a grand (1100 euros ish)

What are peoples take on this price? Good? Fair? Too high? Way too high?

From what I've seen available to the European market it seems about normal. Due to us having a very limited amount available, as well as the pains of import duties if bought from even the likes of the UK, - - Nevermind Japan itself.

As a relative lamen I'd appreciate the feedback and help from anyone with greater knowledge/expertise. This is my first ever post here, so hi!

Thanks folks, hope I can gain some clarity and learn some new things :)

2. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

If it's the one I think it is, it looks to be in very good condition. It does seem a little on the expensive side, but if you want it, it's probably worth it. The lack of customs problems (more money) buying from an EU country has to be good. ;)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022 at 4:28 PM
    s5tuart and Willmunny like this.
  3. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Senior Stratmaster

Welcome Kvoh.

I have a 2005 ST72 I bought in the UK about 2.5 years ago used but mint for £600 from PMT music (national network) with a 21 day free return for my money back if I didn't like it.

I didn't .... I loved it. Basswood body (but impossible to tell with a solid colour) but Alnico pups (now in a partscaster as I've put a Blackmore guard into the ST72) but impeccable build quality.

What I'm getting at is that more recent versions are to be found cheaper but are just as good (I used to own an '84 or '85 3 bolt '70s SQ Squier). The reason the early ones are held in such esteem is that they were compared at the time to Fenders own US output and found to be as good/better for the lower bucks.

Either way I think the money is about right if you do want an early one... the reputation isn't going away even though better buys are out there.

Mine..

_DSC0013.jpg

Got a link to the option you're considering?

mad axe man likes this.
  4. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

I know a lot about these....and 1100 euros is an insane high price, RUN away.....

s5tuart and FrieAsABird like this.
  5. ChrisD

ChrisD Senior Stratmaster

I have a CIJ St72 from around 2002. It came with the original shipping box and even the customs paperwork. I bought it 3 or 4 years ago for £500 and it's as close to mint as you'll get in a used guitar.

In fairness though, the prices of used guitars seems to be going crazy recently.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  6. Thrup'ny Bit

They do indeed. There's no rhyme or reason to it, or any clue when (if ever) it will get back to normal.

s5tuart and ChrisD like this.
  7. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Senior Stratmaster

Got a link?

...... If It's a beautiful example....

Wouldn't an ST72 from 1984 be a Fender 3 bolt SQ 70's produced just after but alongside the very first Japanese JVs?

8. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I'm with @Guitarmageddon. Wait for another one that's priced rationally. You don't need to buy one right now.

9. Guitarmageddon

Those are something like 'CST30" models, I forget the exact designation, the ST-72's didn't come until the 1984/85 A serials....

10. stratlt

stratlt Strat-Talker Gold Supporting Member

Fender ST72 were launched earlier, and the first ones were with the JV serial. There was even a ST72-115 version:
    https://www.faberguitar.com/Fender-Japan-JV-ST72-115-NAT-1983-K31_1

11. Guitarmageddon

12. Thrup'ny Bit

I was replying about a Fender.

s5tuart and Guitarmageddon like this.
  13. s5tuart

s5tuart Perfecting time travel since 2525

Prices are crazy high on the ones I see!
    I've not had a real Fender for ages because of it and neither will I get one unless prices fall.
    They are, after all, only modular guitars :whistling: