MIJ strat bridge

Tsjackson

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 15, 2016
UK
Hi there,

Ive a stupid first world problem I’d like to rectify.

I have a 1989 ST-67 and it has the incorrect saddles installed, for no real reason I’d like to put as close to the correct ones as I can on it.

C15AEE6C-BBE4-4202-AC32-CF97C3D2B167.png

I’ve read about issues with spacing compatibility when swapping saddles, is it less of an issue if I just buy an entire bridge assembly instead of just saddles?

729F1835-9B5B-4212-889C-E2202C730AE2.jpeg

And this is a real nit pick quest… the proper saddles should have had fender stamped into them all the same way up, so in the playing position they’re all the correct way up. Does anyone know if these are made by anyone?

Before I get torn to shreds, I'm well aware how ridiculous this is.

It’s not for tone or playability and there’s nothing wrong with the ones it’s wearing,

I just have a bit of money left over after selling some bits and it’s always been a niggle I’ve wanted to fix!

Thanks in advance

A1EFAD2D-8E8A-45FB-BE28-5D3AB78BFFE1.jpeg

Guitarmageddon

Dr. Stratster
Apr 19, 2014
Canada
Hi there,

Ive a stupid first world problem I’d like to rectify.

I have a 1989 ST-67 and it has the incorrect saddles installed, for no real reason I’d like to put as close to the correct ones as I can on it.

View attachment 564899

I’ve read about issues with spacing compatibility when swapping saddles, is it less of an issue if I just buy an entire bridge assembly instead of just saddles?

View attachment 564900

And this is a real nit pick quest… the proper saddles should have had fender stamped into them all the same way up, so in the playing position they’re all the correct way up. Does anyone know if these are made by anyone?

Before I get torn to shreds, I'm well aware how ridiculous this is.

It’s not for tone or playability and there’s nothing wrong with the ones it’s wearing,

I just have a bit of money left over after selling some bits and it’s always been a niggle I’ve wanted to fix!

Thanks in advance

View attachment 564901

You want 2 7/32" spaced saddles - many ST-68's ST-72's etc came with those 70s style saddles stock though.....

Tsjackson

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 15, 2016
UK
It's not ridiculous to me. You want it period correct so to speak. Callaham are always a good place to start.
Yes, period correct if not actually original is what I’m after! Thanks for the link, il have a read. I’ve never actually tried a Callaham bridge but I’ve only ever read good things.
I’d be even more inclined to do it if it was an improvement to more than just the aesthetics

Tsjackson

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 15, 2016
UK
You want 2 7/32" spaced saddles - many ST-68's ST-72's etc came with those 70s style saddles stock though.....
Thank you, I had read about the 2-7/32 spacing.

And that’s interesting that they could be stock, I did think it was strange that the only thing that didn’t appear to be original on my guitar was the saddles… I’ve swapped a few bits since getting it although kept all original bits.

It’s always just bugged me that they aren’t the rolled saddles.

Stu78

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 20, 2019
Scotland
Yes, period correct if not actually original is what I’m after! Thanks for the link, il have a read. I’ve never actually tried a Callaham bridge but I’ve only ever read good things.
I’d be even more inclined to do it if it was an improvement to more than just the aesthetics
Well without wishing to ignite controversy as to whether aftermarket bridges made of steel actually make a difference over standard ones I would say they do

I have a Callaham block attached to the Fender bridge on my Strat and there is a dicernable difference in tone and sustain IMO. 🙂

Noobieoldie

Strat-Talker
Jan 23, 2022
Austin, TX
Well without wishing to ignite controversy as to whether aftermarket bridges made of steel actually make a difference over standard ones I would say they do

I have a Callaham block attached to the Fender bridge on my Strat and there is a dicernable difference in tone and sustain IMO. 🙂
Just want to second what Stu said. I also have a Fender bridge (Fender stamped saddles) and a Callaham block. It's a nice sound.

Tsjackson

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 15, 2016
UK

Just want to second what Stu said. I also have a Fender bridge (Fender stamped saddles) and a Callaham block. It's a nice sound.

I feel like this maybe a better way to spend my pennies… leave the saddles for now and get a callaham block? Although I’ve never thought my strat lacking in that way but I’ve never tried it so how would I know! Blissful ignorance haha

SpeedKing

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 9, 2015
UK
In my opinion what you want are the 'Pure Vintage' saddles from Fender.

As close as anyone does to the vintage articles. Stamped 'Fender' on one side and 'Pat. Pend.' on the other just as the originals were. I just fitted some to my 4 bolt '71 tribute ('71 was the last year they were used before the die cast block saddles seen with the 3 bolt neck and bullet truss rod and as those yours incorrectly wears.

Expensive at about £55 here in the UK for the set but they'll fit with the (vintage) string spacing you have and are the most accurate you can buy.

_DSC0030.jpg

Also if you want it to look vintage correct loose the G/D string tree and fill the hole. The second string tree didn't appear until '72. Otherwise it's a pretty accurate 'reissue' (although they're not called reissues of course).

Most early ones I've seen do have the more correct bent steel saddles (but only stamped 'Fender Fender') and some even have the incorrect pre '63 wide 12th dot spacing (but yours has the correct positioning).

Last edited:

Guitarmageddon

Dr. Stratster
Apr 19, 2014
Canada
I feel like this maybe a better way to spend my pennies… leave the saddles for now and get a callaham block? Although I’ve never thought my strat lacking in that way but I’ve never tried it so how would I know! Blissful ignorance haha

I wouldn't change your block, you won't notice much change at all - you already have a heavy big high mass block in there, even though it's not steel.....

Willmunny

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Jul 22, 2019
Mcleary Wa

As close as anyone does to the vintage articles. Stamped 'Fender' on one side and 'Pat. Pend.
' on the other as the originals were. I just fitted some to my 4 bolt '71 tribute.

Expensive at about £50 here in the UK for the set but they'll fit with the right (vintage) string spacing you have and are the most accurate you can buy.

View attachment 564915 .
+1, I put these saddles on my 1985 mij fender bullet.
Exact match to the ones I replaced.
Good luck

Tsjackson

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 15, 2016
UK

As close as anyone does to the vintage articles. Stamped 'Fender' on one side and 'Pat. Pend.
' on the other as the originals were. I just fitted some to my 4 bolt '71 tribute.

Expensive at about £50 here in the UK for the set but they'll fit with the right (vintage) string spacing you have and are the most accurate you can buy.

View attachment 564915 .
Thank you for that, those do look the business. And yeah all these tiny bits of metal are expensive in the U.K.

I’m beginning to feel spoiled for choice as a posed to lacking options an hour ago haha

Tsjackson

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 15, 2016
UK
I wouldn't change your block, you won't notice much change at all - you already have a heavy big high mass block in there, even though it's not steel.....
I agree, if it was one of the small blocks or I actually had an issue with how the guitar was performing I may be inclined to swap the block but as it is I love the guitar and just fancied some fancier saddles.

Noobieoldie

Strat-Talker
Jan 23, 2022
Austin, TX
I don't know what Fender vintage-style saddles cost in the U.K., but they're quite inexpensive here in the U.S. The Callaham block is the pricier addition. But certainly not a bad idea just to try the block first, then decide on saddles.

Just a quick edit/add-on here: I know there's a lot of varying opinions about whether saddles and blocks make any real difference. Personally, I do think Callaham blocks have a tonal difference. But also, when we're messing around with our guitars and switching things in an out, we're usually doing it because we have an obsession for our guitars and it's just a fun thing to do.

Last edited:

Tsjackson

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 15, 2016
UK
I don't know what Fender vintage-style saddles cost in the U.K., but they're quite inexpensive here in the U.S. The Callaham block is the pricier addition. But certainly not a bad idea just to try the block first, then decide on saddles.
If I get new the fender and Callaham and a few other decent saddle sets are around £50, as I’m not in a rush I’m sure I could get a set for less.

I’ve already talked myself out of swapping the block… I was briefly overcome with just wanting to spend money on something for my guitar no matter what but the only thing about it I want to change is the saddles so I will stick to my original plan, thanks though

Tsjackson

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 15, 2016
UK

As close as anyone does to the vintage articles. Stamped 'Fender' on one side and 'Pat. Pend.' on the other just as the originals were. I just fitted some to my 4 bolt '71 tribute ('71 was the last year they were used before the die cast block saddles seen with the 3 bolt neck and bullet truss rod and as those yours incorrectly wears.

Expensive at about £55 here in the UK for the set but they'll fit with the (vintage) string spacing you have and are the most accurate you can buy.

View attachment 564915

Also if you want it to look vintage correct loose the G/D string tree and fill the hole. The second string tree didn't appear until '72. Otherwise it's a pretty accurate 'reissue' (although they're not called reissues of course).

Most early ones I've seen do have the more correct bent steel saddles (but only stamped 'Fender Fender') and some even have the incorrect pre '63 wide 12th dot spacing (but yours has the correct positioning).
Ah yes the string tree, another tiny niggle… I am aware that the MIJ guitars aren’t strict reissues, I like the vintage radius and love the neck in general but some of the details are a little odd, given that it would’ve been so easy to do as per an original.

Honestly the only reason I bought it (other than wanting a strat) is that it’s the same age as me! And was about 1/2 the price of an AVRI. But it is a fantastic guitar, lovely neck and sound.
My only issues are visual and pretty silly really but a fool and his money are easily parted…

Riderock

Strat-Talker
May 27, 2020
Ontario
Fender has 2 different vintage saddles available . I believe they are the same spacing . Here in Canada Fender/Fender $45 and Fender/Pat.Pend $65