MIJ Stratocasters

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by gcgoode, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Antigua

Antigua Senior Stratmaster

The reason why a low end MIJ can be better than a high end MIM is because of quality control. It probably wasn't supposed to work out that way when Fender laid their plans, but that's what can happen in the end when you put human labor into the equation.

When you weigh the models by price points and specs, you're going by what was planned out in the board room, not what actually resulted at the end of the production line. I don't know why quality control is all over the map when it comes to mass produced guitars, but it is. There are a lot of low paid workers being asked to do very precise wood and finish work.

Maybe not everyone changes their electronics out, but it's so easy to do, compared to reworking the neck or redoing the finish, that it should not be counted against the quality of the guitar. It's just too trivial.

Ubermuzik likes this.
  2. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster

It might be trivial to the likes of you & I who are happy to change pickups, pots & switches, but the vast majority of the guitar playing public view a soldering iron with the same degree of awe & trepidation as I view a pair of knitting needles. For those people, a guitar with poor pickups or electronics is a daunting prospect to get right, & probably more trouble & expense than it's worth.

Paying a tech to change the pickups is likely to cost as much as, or more than, paying a tech to do a set up or a fret stone.

3. Antigua

Antigua Senior Stratmaster

To say that cheaper electronics are even of lesser quality is dubious in the first place. It's more accurate to say they are a) not vintage correct, and b) cheaper to produce, but they perform their their function with the same degree of precision and reliability. It's so common place to refer to them as lesser quality that we just take it for granted, and never stop to ask if that's true by it's merits. They're neither better or worse in terms of how they perform. Many expensive aftermarket pickups have a ceramic bar glued to their underside as a feature of their design. Like simoncroft said in another thread, if you like to play 'dirty blues', for example, those stock ceramic pickups might even be preferable over the vintage spec ALNiCos.

A badly crafted guitar is another matter, because it's much less ambiguous as to how a good guitar is supposed to be made. The only way you can argue sharp fret ends are a positive, for example, is if the player likes a guitar that tortures him as he plays, perhaps to bring out more of the 'dirty blues'.

4. stratman323

Yep, I guess that's fair comment.

5. bloomz

bloomz Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

None I have owned have penciled neck dates.

I've never replaced electronics in any I've owned. I find stock ones to be just fine.

Tho most have been Contemporary models, with larger frets and quite possibly better pups

6. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

I've owned 2 E6 MIJ ST57's.....both had a pencilled late 1985 neck date....(December)...

I think once you get to 1988-89 they stopped being used...

7. Ubermuzik

Ubermuzik Strat-Talk Member

First off. The number after the letter E in the E series Japan means NOTHING ! It’s totally random. I have an E series 9 which I bought here in the USA from a Japanese man in 1985, it’s a 1984 MIJ Strat. The E series or JV series MIJ Strats are as good as the AMERICAN CUSTOM SHOP Strats. The only thing you may want to change is electronics ,but some even had Fender USA electronics ,and gray bottom pups. The sound will tell you. You can spend $500. replace all pups and pots,cap,toggle with USA parts,and have a Strat as good as it gets. I’m assuming your guitar has a maple neck ( 57 ) and possibly Olympic white body or possibly sunburst.
    DO NOT BUY A USA FENDER ! The MIJ prices are now in 2021 catching up to made in USA prices ,and are much better guitars unless you want to spend $3500. or more for a CS . ( You don’t )

8. Ubermuzik

What’s with the bridge pup ? I know they came in three colours. Sunburst,Olympic White,and Black. You seldom see black. Take strings off,get a screwdriver ,and show neck pocket ,end on neck at body that goes into bodies end pocket,take off pickguard and show electronics. That’s important . If pots are not small, don’t change them- generally speaking - Same with pups. Are they gray bottom ? I ask as Fender shipped a lot of electronics to Japan early on. It’s hit or miss. Great guitar anyway you look at it.

9. Ubermuzik

10. Ubermuzik

The implication that this is a “so so “ guitar is all wrong. First off if you take neck off you’ll see neck is 57 ,and body 62. The electronics are hit,and miss. Anyway you look at it,it’s better than any standard off the rack USA made fender. If you have to change pups,pots,cap,toggle no big deal. The Gotoh tuners are better than the Kluson deluxe use as standard USA Strats.

11. Ubermuzik

Spot on.No one seems to be aware of this. I have an 1984 E series ( bought in 85 ) with E9 ... I even have receipt for a setup dated 88 ...

12. stratman323

Oh are you back, spreading misinformation & your weird conspiracy theories again? Even though your earlier posts were corrected by several ST members & some of the misinformation you posted was deleted by the mods? I had hope that you'd got the message by now?

Apparently not...

balston11 likes this.