MIK Fender Stratocaster (first post!)

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by tuuur, Jul 21, 2008.

1. thaus

thaus Most Honored Senior Member

Love the yellowed white colour.............

2. AnArmyOfJuan

AnArmyOfJuan Strat-Talk Member

Well, I don't own the LA Strat, but I do own the Lite Ash Tele. I had started to mod it, first by turning it into an Esquire, then by buying the parts to Nashville it, but I ended up putting it back to stock. the only thing changed is compensated saddles. it's brilliant. I can't think of anything I would commit to changing on it. the compensated saddles probably aren't even really necessary, since I use 11s anyway.

I've played the L.A. Strat, and likewise, was quite impressed with the quality.

3. 60strat

60strat Strat-Talk Member

i also love this strat.

4. Marmelaki

Marmelaki Strat-Talk Member

I also have the Lite Ash Tele and there are some things that I would gladly change or fix - things that in fact set it apart from American Teles or Strats for that matter.

For starters, the plastic nut seems so extremely cheap. I'm sure a bone or synthetic-bone nut would be much better for tone and tuning.
    Secondly, I would like to have the frets a bit more looked-after - they are not properly beveled and some go as far as being sharp-edged :neutral:

Other than that, the guitar is ok - for its price range.
    When I finaly do the above mentioned work I'm sure it'll be much better overall.

5. AnArmyOfJuan

AnArmyOfJuan Strat-Talk Member

well, I do have to admit that i bought mine from a coworker when I worked at Guitar Center. I think the nut had already been changed, and I know it had a full setup. other that that, it was/is stock. I don't consider a setup to be a mod, especially since I use heavier gauge strings than most, so every guitar I buy needs to be set up.

6. 60strat

60strat Strat-Talk Member

i have had no problems with the frets they are smooth no ruff edges
    the tone/sustain on this strat is awesome. it seem funny just about
    every one that comes incontact with this strat loves it and it is compared
    to the MIA ash strat and no mention of any problems with the craftmanship of this strat at all. i guess you cant please everyone.

7. AlanJMackie

AlanJMackie New Member!

MIK JAZZ BASS !!!

OK ... I was going nuts trying to find some info on my MIK JAZZ BASS !!!

Looks just like tuuur's Strat but its a MIK Jazz Bass.. looks to be a 62 RI ..

I am in the middle of rewiring the bass and have included some pics

SN is an E1 + 6

If you have info on this please email me at [email protected]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  8. AllroyPA

AllroyPA LeftyStrategist

Korean Fender did not track serial numbers ... most likely arooud 1990 or there around ...

9. CeltRocka

CeltRocka Senior Stratmaster

Im almost certain its a Korean E10 Squier from late 80,s or early 90,s. Ive got an E10+6 digits from 1987.Its got the same neck - Kenjii sticker says ST 362 [62 re issue] yours is 357[57 ri] same tuners,are they red labelled Fender ? same string trees,same electrics.Also same body,a laminated [not ply!]cap, top and bottom,abt 2mm thick.Reading abt these on other forums they seem to appear more in Europe

10. DimesProdigy

DimesProdigy Strat-Talker

I also have a Korean strat that looks exactly the same as original posters, same body, neck, hardware, electronics, E10 serial etc... Only thing is it is a Squier as Celtrocka's and a 362, or 62 reissue instead of 57 reissue. Don't know the year around when it was made but it is an awesome guitar with a superb neck, just needs a fret level and crown as it seems to have worn down some frets since I aquired and have been playing it.

11. Orlando Mike

Orlando Mike Senior Stratmaster

12. jonnys

jonnys Strat-Talk Member

I realise that this is an old thread but I found it while googling the topic and since there is not so much information about these elsewhere I thought I would add what I know.

I have one of these MIK Fender Stratocasters. I bought it new in the UK in the mid/late 1980s - probably 1987. The logos on the headstock are the same as shown in tuuur's photographs, the serial number is E1049403.

It was made before Fender started making guitars in Mexico. At that time the only other options for buying a new Fender in Europe were either MIA or MIJ.

These MIK Fenders were slightly more expensive than the Squiers of the time but cheaper than the Japanese built Fenders and much cheaper than the USA made guitars.

I was a teenager then and remember spending hours gazing at pictures of guitars in a Fender brochure - some proudly claimed "Made in USA" others were made in Japan. In one corner of the brochure there was a standard strat, standard tele and standard precision bass and these were the budget Korean range.

At that time I was only in the market for a budget guitar but I think vanity made me opt for a "proper" Fender instead of a Squier. The prices were similar (the Squiers were maybe 15% cheaper) and I have always wondered if there was really much difference between the two.

Today, the guitar feels nice to hold and play. I have no issues with the neck and body. I think the compromises to keep the price down were made in the standards of the electronic components used.

The original pickups were disappointing - they sounded harsh and shrill and hummed a lot.

The pickup selector started failing after three or four years and I see that I have replaced it. (I had the same problem with a 1992 Japanese Telecaster although that selector lasted less than a year).

I have also removed the original string trees - seeing the photos above I remember why now. :)

I don't pick it up very often these days but it was my first strat and I will not be parted from it.

So, these Korean Fenders are real. They are not Squiers that have been tampered with but they are the budget Fender models of the mid/late-eighties, not anything special I am afraid to say. They were priced slighly higher than the Squiers at the time but not by much.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  13. shunter

shunter Strat-Talker

Very interesting thread!

I too have have MIK strat which has a serial number and headstock very similar. My serial number is E1046940 i.e the same letter and first 3 digits.

Mine also has the same roller string trees and also has the same bridge stamped Fender. However I believe it (and yours) to be a squire that has been built from old Fender parts.

Mine is a beautiful paying guitar although like yours the pickups are a bit cheap.

I relaise this thread is over a year old but its intersting to see the same MIK "Fender" out there.

14. jonnys

jonnys Strat-Talk Member

I found this thread because I was having a look to see if I could find out more about it - apparently you can find out everything on the internet now can't you? :)

It was branded, marketed and sold as a Fender. I am certain that it is not a Squier with a fake decal as some have suggested because I bought it new from a reputable dealer and it has been in my possession ever since. I also remember the promotional material from the time.

It was definitely made in Korea.

The rest is guesswork and failing memory. :oops:

I bought it in either March 1987 - for my sixteenth birthday, March 1988 - for my seventeenth birthday or March 1989 - for my eighteenth birthday. I definitely owned it in October 1989 when I went to university.

It makes sense that it was probably made in a factory that made Squiers. The serial number would suggest it was made by Young Chang.

The question that I have long wondered about is how much different to a Squier it really is.

At the time I bought it the MIJ guitars were too expensive for me and the MIA guitars were totally out of my league.

I remember having to decide between a Squier and one of these MIK Fenders.

I didn't post these numbers before because I am not sure that they are correct but they are certainly in the right ballpark:

At the time a new Squier Standard Strat was either 149GBP or 159GBP. You could also get a deluxe version which was either 159GBP, 169GBP or 179GBP. The Squier range was not extensive in those days.

I think that the MIK Fenders were 199GBP or could have been 229GBP. So the question is how were they different?

Or were they just the same guitar but branded as a Fender to tempt gullible people to pay more?

The neck and the body are good, real good. But as mentioned before the electronics let it down.

The paintwork did not look so good after getting a few knocks. I should also point out that mine never had a picture of a smurf on it either. ;)

I am sorry to say that when I chose the guitar I was a complete novice so I didn't try the Squier and the MIK Fender out for a comparison, otherwise that might have answered all my questions.

15. lucasvega113

lucasvega113 New Member!

Korean Fender Stratocaster

can anyone tell me anything about this guitar? real? fake? its history perhaps? it says made in korea under the fender emblem and the serial number is cn329006.

Attached Files:

16. Boundforglory07

Boundforglory07 Strat-Talk Member

In the mid 90's they made an anniversary strat. It had the fender logo in big and the squire one small off to the side. Mot people try to take advantage of the oppertunity and rub off the squire logo and sell it. I hope not, but thats my opinion.

17. houseguitarshop

houseguitarshop Strat-O-Master

18. houseguitarshop

you have a completely different factory then this thread is about.

yours was made in the cort factory in korea around 1992

here is a thread about squiers your is on the second page

Squier History (models of guitars) - Fender® Squier® Guitar and Bass Forum

19. houseguitarshop

no this is not a squier it was labeld fender from the factory, I have seen plenty of fender labeld guitars that look just like the squier label, same hardware, same paint, same wood, same sting trees, same logo color, same neck plate with plastic shim, same aged pickup covers, etc, same guitars differnt logo.

anywho great guitars

20. houseguitarshop

here is a fender that look just like my squier

Attached Files: