Mike McCready's custom shop

Guitarchaeologist

Master Spuddler
Silver Member
Dec 17, 2016
Behind the 8 ball
It's interesting. You'd have a hard time selling a car with a paint job in that condition.
Maybe not. There is a market for "Rat Rods".
"The rat rod is an acquired taste, a vehicle with the rust accentuated and the road patina honed. While the classic hot rod is painted and chromed, the rat rod revels in the weathering. That doesn’t mean less power in your T-Bucket, or fewer engine mods in your Chevy C10. Instead, it means that those classic trucks, coupes, roadsters or sedans are rocking the rust as they barrel down the strip."

Scott Baxendale

Most Honored Senior Member
Gold Supporting Member
May 20, 2020
Sante Fe, NM
Maybe not. There is a market for "Rat Rods".
"The rat rod is an acquired taste, a vehicle with the rust accentuated and the road patina honed. While the classic hot rod is painted and chromed, the rat rod revels in the weathering. That doesn’t mean less power in your T-Bucket, or fewer engine mods in your Chevy C10. Instead, it means that those classic trucks, coupes, roadsters or sedans are rocking the rust as they barrel down the strip."

I’d like to officially call the heavy faux relic guitars “Rat Rod‘s” from now on!

Ebidis

Providing the world with flat bends since 1985
Nov 14, 2013
Alabama
I'm sure the guitar is important to Mike but why would anyone else care about his beat up guitar?

I thought Ten was awesome in '90/'91 and they've had a few good songs since...yay Pearl Jam.
Yeah, My thoughts on Pearl Jam are that they had one great album, a decent followup album, and everything after that was unlistenable dreck.

revtime

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 17, 2014
kansas
Yep Rat rods are a sub culture in the hot rodding world. Just like rat rodded guitars. There are special tools n techniques to get it lookin that way.
Does a rat rod that was left in a field to "naturally" achieve its patina have a special mojo about it vs sanding the finish off here and there?

sale83

Strat-Talker
May 25, 2011
Serbia
15k???!lol

Looks like any other harder relic CS out there.

They are now making everyone's old guitar put a "signature" add "iconic" to it and sell it for a bit higher price than regular cs or masterbuilt.