Miley Cyrus

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Stormy Monday, Oct 12, 2021.

1. dirocyn

dirocyn Most Honored Senior Member

I hear plenty of talent. She's a good singer. I'll admit I have issues with the pop production on a LOT of her recordings; she put her name on a lot of music I can't stand. But there's talent there. The way she's singing is intentional. Bet you can't do better. I know I can't.

StratUp, Gridlock and abnormaltoy like this.
  2. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Most Honored Senior Member

I actually think I could do better honestly. I'm not a female, so I don't know how I would do a side by side comparison though.
    I have been exposed to a lot of great vocalists, she's not one of them.
    But in fairness, that's just my opinion.
    I'm 100% certain that miley cyrus doesn't care what I think, nor should she.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  3. chas3rd

chas3rd Strat-Talker Gold Supporting Member Silver Member

..she makes me wanna rip my ears off and jump off a cliff! Miley Virus
    ..metallica sucks too and I’m not afraid to say it. Boring with pitiful guitar solos and inane lyrics.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  4. brians

brians Senior Stratmaster

Jeez, all this hate , why?
    The woman can rock hard , I say go MC

5. jwj1701

jwj1701 Strat-O-Master Silver Member

She's wayyyyyyyyyyy past the baby girl stage. I’m not trying to be insulting.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2021
    abnormaltoy likes this.
  6. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Mouth draggin' knuckle breather

Nicely stated.

I don't have an in-depth knowledge of her catalog, but there have been some highly publicized productions that I'm not overly fond of, but, being all grow'd up and hair'd over I have the ability to hit the power switch or change channels when stuff comes on that I don't like.
    Personally I think she's pretty good when she sings country, of course it helps if you like country music.

dirocyn likes this.
  7. Strangher11

Strangher11 Strat-Talk Member

Miley, so desperate to stay relevant, she must have bribed Metallica with a small fortune to do that bit, sorry but I am totally disgusted with them now. Sellouts .........

8. Strangher11

Strangher11 Strat-Talk Member

not ..........

9. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Mouth draggin' knuckle breather

It does my heart good to see a storied piece of musical history being used rather than locked away in a dust free case.

For them that don't know that guitar belonged to Peter Green of Fleetwood Mac fame, then it went to Gary Moore, now it's in the hands of Hammett.

AncientAx likes this.
  10. Bob Spumoni

Bob Spumoni Senior Stratmaster

I've got a photo of myself swinging half-nekkid on a wrecking ball. Any interest at all?

11. Eric_G

Eric_G Senior Stratmaster

Yup, lots of unjustified hate here...

Miley Cyrus is not my thing, but saying she has no talent is simply hate...

She was nominated to a tons of award and has won more than a few...

According to her wikipedia page, she "has attained the most US Billboard 200 top-five albums in the 21st century by a female artist, with a total of thirteen entries."

I seriously doubt you achieve this without talent...

You're allowed not to like, just like I can't stand Celine Dion... but there's no way I would say Celine Dion has no talent... that's just taste.

When a statement of no talent is made against an accomplished artist like Miley Cyrus, that's not right.

PonyB, sssstratsss, dante1963 and 2 others like this.
  12. rocknrollrich

You know who else was nominated and won a lot of awards, sold millions of albums...?
    Kanye.
    You know who else doesn't have any talent?
    Kanye.

Popularity doesn't always equate with talent. Sometimes it does, but sometimes it doesn't.
    I don't "hate" miley cyrus. I don't even know miley cyrus.
    If it was hate, I would say things like "she's a terrible person" "I wish she would go away" "she has no redeeming qualities".... things like that.
    I don't campaign to have her removed from the music industry. I don't protest her concerts. I simply just think her voice is terrible.
    If I met her in person, I probably wouldn't say that to her, mostly because I don't hate her.
    I think you're confusing hate with an honest, well informed opinion.

Edit:
    I also can't stand celine Dion's music.
    I'd rather rip my fingernails off than listen to her stuff. (I played in a band that covered a few of her songs, and it was actually painful to endure the syrupy sweetness of it all).
    I don't hate her. If she tripped and fell in front of me, I would help her up. I would be kind and gracious if I interacted with her. I don't hate her.
    Her work? Omg I hate that shiz.

Edit on top of the edit:
    While I absolutely dislike celine Dion's music, I actually do think she has talent. Miley is still not talented imho.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
    Baelzebub and Chuck8436 like this.
  13. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

I couldn't be bothered wasting energy hating her or anyone else. Just disinterested. I'm sure she can sing, but so can a lot of women...some a lot better, (Tedeschi), and can actually play an instrument and write a song.

But then, I've never been much entertained by any spawn of Disney, in any format. Disney is the very definition of banal.

tanta07 likes this.
  14. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

The number of posters in this thread with long time accounts and low post counts is astounding.

15. Eric_G

First, I didn't directly pointed at you with my post, but... if the shoe fits !

Second, the definition of hate is to feel intense or passionate dislike for (someone).

I read a lot of post here, yours included, that carried more intense dislike than others. When you use statement like:

"She's friggin terrible."
    "She's barely an alto (probably not even), has a gravelly grating voice, and pretty terrible delivery."
    "...but let's dislike for the right reasons.... no talent."

That is a lot more than just dislike, it, to me, resonate intense dislike that fits the hate definition.

Can she sing, absolutely.... is she one of the all time best vocalists... of course not...

Does she deserve an evaluation of "no talent"... I can't find any argument supporting that statement.

Just my 2 cents !

16. Eric_G

Looks like polarising personalities pull the lurkers out of the shadows...

17. rocknrollrich

I think my quotes above absolutely demonstrate that I DON'T hate her.
    "terrible delivery" "dislike for the right reasons..."
    Again, no personal attacks on her character or life.
    There are people that I do absolutely hate. She's not one of them.
    But I wouldn't lose sleep over it either way. Honestly I don't hear too much about/from her, so it's not really front and center in my life.

What may have garnered a semi visceral reaction from me, on this thread, was all of the "great singer comments" which to be fair, shouldn't have bothered me.
    But it's kinda like people saying "ketchup on a steak is awesome" and me wincing and saying "really? That's what you consider awesome?"

18. Eric_G

My dislike of Celine Dion has nothing to do with her music. I dislike the individual, met her a few times, was not impressed. I also have a hard time watching her excess of emotion in about every interviews or shows she she gives. However my deceased cousin who work with her in the Cystic Fibrosis Canada organisation for which Celine is a spoke person always told me she was one of the nicest individual she ever met. So I have to respect her for that.

EDIT: I had to correct a typo here... my cousin told me Celine was one of the nicest individual she ever met

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
    rocknrollrich likes this.
  19. Eric_G

I hear what your saying, I guess I see a lot of nuance between excellent/good/ordinary/bad/terrible delivery...

When you chose terrible, I felt the selection of qualificative was exaggerated to express dislike and had been more align to hate. I guess I still require more work on my understanding of the English language.

However the statement of "no talent" can't really be me not understanding... I still think that statement was uncalled for..."

20. rocknrollrich

See, you have a reason for not liking the individual, I get that. I've never met celine Dion, so I can only go by what I know of-- terrible music! lol.

I'd just like to add, in a world full of so much hate already, it's quite alright to add a little bit more. Since when does everyone have to love everyone?