Join Strat-Talk Today

Millennials in the Workplace

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Guy Named Sue, May 22, 2018.

1. nadzab

nadzab Peace & Love, my Brothers & Sisters... Strat-Talk Supporter

As a "university goer from the East coast" I'd be interested if you expanded on this a bit.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  2. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Senior Stratmaster

Hey, I have a great idea for the Internet. Let's identify a group of people, that I'm not part of, and talk about thier differences from me and thier inferiority.

Anyone want to discuss tone wood?

Bowmap, Loth, abnormaltoy and 2 others like this.
  3. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Senior Stratmaster

@Mr. Lumbergh

Guy Names Sue is basically on point.

One exception: I disagree strongly that there is a problem discussing groups as groups. This video isn't just some dude spouting off about his personal gripes. He's describing data from a substantial body of well-tread, peer reviewed data in a number of fields and layering his own commentary. You can't blow up Social Psychology, I/O Psychology, Sociology and Anthropology just because someone who is an exception to empirical trends might feel bad.

It's absurd to suggest that any study or discussion of groups or group trends is inherently "ist".

Instead, reasonable and level-headed people who do good research in these fields understand the obvious fact that group data don't describe the individual. Group data doesn't predict individual behavior. When a peer reviewed journal publishes a study on "millennial psychology" - the science community doesn't go into a fit of hurt feelings. They are able to understand and process the data in context - just as anyone watching this video should be able to do.

4. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Some of those claims are similar to those made in The Bell Curve, which also represented itself as "scientific" but which had some outright racist overtones as you may recall. Again, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect in this day in age to treat folks as individuals rather than lumping them together over stuff they have no control over, and I don't think that position is unreasonable. If you disagree, we'll just have to agree to do so.

aiabx and Loth like this.
  5. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Senior Stratmaster

A blanket statement about blanket statements?

TSims1 likes this.
  6. Class A Knob

Class A Knob Senior Stratmaster

As long as we're discussing generations and perceived shortcomings, here is a hilarious rant by comedian Bill Burr.

7. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Does not make a material difference. The point is, people that are 10 years away from retirement raise hell about the people that are 20 years from retirement. An eyeblink.

8. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist Strat-Talk Supporter

This is more or less a global trend that goes well beyond any local universities. Last week there was a long article on BBC about similar issues in China.

9. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Nonsense on top of nonsense on top of nonsense. No human being springs from the womb on a particular date with a huge suite of traits that roughly correspond with the traits of the other babies doing back flips out of their moms. After they manage a soft landing on planet earth THEY GO HOME WITH SOMEONE who clothes, feeds, cares for and educates them. Who does all this? The previous generation and/or generations. What world do they live in? The world the previous generations created.

Amazing dodge for preceding generations to be able to not only yell "those people are terrible" but also "it's not my fault!!" simultaneously.

Nonsense on top of nonsense on top of nonsense.

10. CigBurn

CigBurn Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I generally have a lot more fun when I hang out with people under 35 than folks my own age..

11. rolandson

rolandson Still Breathing Strat-Talk Supporter

My children are millennials.

Daughter holds three college degrees; two bachelor and one masters; speaks 7 languages fluently and 3 more kinda sorta. Her work on Parkinson's was published in the New England Journal of Medicine while she was a sophomore in high school. She's currently teaching elementary school and heads a program providing free summer camp for the children of active military...she's been involved in that since a high school junior.

Son teaches technical theater at a medium sized liberal arts college while established as its resident stage manager, is nearing eligibility for an Actors Equity Card in stage management and is an IATSE electrician/lighting and sound rigger...while pursuing a bachelor's in math.

I don't think "entitled" is how i would describe either of them.

CigBurn, aiabx and Guy Named Sue like this.
  12. CaseCandy

CaseCandy Senior Stratmaster

are being taught these ideals of self entitlement from social media.

Guy Named Sue likes this.
  13. Loth

Loth Strat-Talker

I had a job once in chain grocery store deli about 6 years ago. Most of the staff was 19-30. Management 45+. We had a handful of really great people, a few average, a couple less than average employees. Nothing out of the ordinary. Our managers were balanced leaders, kept pace and discipline and had the staffs respect. One of our employees was around 60 or so who was not management. He however, talked down to everyone under 30. You could see with his constant eagerness to throw out millennial stereotypes that he was always desperately seeking for reinforcement of his point of view. Boss would tell you to stock sandwiches, he'd walk past you and shout something like "figures your not doing the dishes! HA!" or get your attention, look you dead in the eye dramatically and give you an order that he had no authority to. I learned quick that he didn't have an actual management position by getting yelled at for be in the wrong station and having to protest 'well this guy said I should be here!' This attitude stretched to the best of young workers to the worst. He had nobody's respect because he gave nobody respect. And the irony of it all was he often left early without permission with a dirty slicer and the deli behind on stock. I found out later that he was dishonorably discharged from the navy when he was young because got into to too many fights. All of this reflects on him, not on your generation. Even the "millennials! HA!" attitude isn't a generational thing.. I have had at least as many people my age complain about generalizations about age as I have our parents generation. Some of you will say, "but you can't ignore the data!" I'm not going to check your data, I've been down the rabbit hole of heaps and heaps of data to similar broad stroke sentiments that didn't seem worth my time to investigate in the first place. If you want to invest time into, to each their own. Just don't be the deli guy. He spent all of his time looking for the ass and didn't realize he stank of ****.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  14. Jason D

Jason D Senior Stratmaster

I know some 40-70 years olds in the work place that make millenials look like outstanding employees. Also, those pieces of crap are well past the point where they can still blame their parents for their own actions. So, anyway, let’s rail some more on these goofy young people!

LunarSlingShot likes this.
  15. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Still haven't been canceled yet, working on it Strat-Talk Supporter

Man I love Bill's Monday morning rants. He is a genius. BTW that blonde guy in the video managed to screw up his what was it called, social media influencer? Career pretty badly. He went to the suicide forest in Japan and filmed a dead body and uploaded it to YouTube. Talk about bad judgment!

16. Mr BC

Mr BC Strat-Talker

I have to laugh at "lack of good parenting" criticisms. I wonder how many people who make those remarks are parents.

As for "corporations" having a difficult time managing millenials, I'd say a couple things:

1. There are PLENTY of exemplar of toxic corporate culture from which nobody needs to pay much attention to their opinions.

2. At a minimum, 50% of the problem is probably with the managers. The fruits of typical managerial training, that I have seen (both personally, and in the news) are pretty rotten. In the corporate world (especially in America) managers are not trained to be leaders.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Strat-Talk mobile app

Paperback Rocker and Dadocaster like this.
  17. roadhog96

roadhog96 Senior Stratmaster

If your really 72 and you havent retired yet then your social security will be there for the millennias to enjoy, your running out of time. Enjoy the rest of your life, you've earned it and deserve it.

18. TSims1

TSims1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Overachievement isn’t good either. We want em right in the middle, staring at their iPhones being inundated by social media propoganda. Much easier to control that way. Sure......the sky is the limit.......but we don’t have wings anyways. Keep your eyes on the screens.......eyes on the screens.......eyes on the screens........

MMMWWWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Cerb and rolandson like this.
  19. rolandson

rolandson Still Breathing Strat-Talk Supporter

Indeed! As my son tells it, what better way to maintain a source of cheap labor:thumb:

West Coast Idea and TSims1 like this.
  20. TSims1

TSims1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

You have a bright family. Keep it up!

rolandson likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.