MIM 69 CBS STRATOCASTER!

Riverside

Strat-Talk Member
Mar 11, 2022
Windsor Ontario Canada
Why doesn't Fender issue a 1969 Fender CBS Stratocaster Jimi Hendrix tribute guitar? It would be identical to their Classic series 70s (without the bullet truss rod)....(even though I love the bullet truss rod with the three point neck)...but with an with an alder body Maple neck large headstock? It would be probably the best Stratocaster coming out of Mexico. They wouldn't have to do anything special ash or alder body maple neck large headstock Alnico pickups 250 pots simple. Does anybody agree? 1140-jimi-hendrix.imgcache.rev.web.1100.633.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Guitarmageddon

Dr. Stratster
Apr 19, 2014
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Why doesn't Fender issue a 1969 Fender CBS Stratocaster Jimi Hendrix tribute guitar? It would be identical to their Classic series 70s (without the bullet truss rod)....(even though I love the bullet truss rod with the three point neck)...but with an with an older body Maple neck large headstock? It would be probably the best Stratocaster coming out of Mexico. They wouldn't have to do anything special ash body maple neck large headstock Alnico pickups 250 pots simple. Does anybody agree? View attachment 550444

Hey! Just saying hi! I live in Windsor too!! Wow!

Riverside

Strat-Talk Member
Mar 11, 2022
Windsor Ontario Canada
Well, they do already have a MIM Hendrix Strat... it's not a maple cap neck (like in your photo) and obviously white, but nonetheless kinda sorta the same:

Yeah that model...backwards headstock messed up bridge pickup slant is a Frankenstein mess. They should make a real nice late 60s CBS Stratocaster simple yet truthful. It would be a killer Stratocaster in memory of Jimi!

kurher

Strat-O-Master
Oct 2, 2017
3rd Stone from the Sun
Yeah that model...backwards headstock messed up bridge pickup slant is a Frankenstein mess. They should make a real nice late 60s CBS Stratocaster simple yet truthful. It would be a killer Stratocaster in memory of Jimi!
It is supposed to have the characteristic differences of a lefty without the inconvenience of a flipped body.
For a truer reissue there's always the Japanese ST68.

CB91710

No GAS shortage here
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Feb 24, 2019
SoCal
Fender has made probably a dozen different Hendrix signature and tribute models since the early 90s.

The current MiM Hendrix model has the reversed headstock and neck pickup.
They did not reverse the body or tremolo, and frankly, those make the ergonomics absolutely horrible, however, it doesn't capture the cool look that Jimi (and Joe Perry) had.

Riverside

Strat-Talk Member
Mar 11, 2022
Windsor Ontario Canada
Fender has made probably a dozen different Hendrix signature and tribute models since the early 90s.

The current MiM Hendrix model has the reversed headstock and neck pickup.
They did not reverse the body or tremolo, and frankly, those make the ergonomics absolutely horrible, however, it doesn't capture the cool look that Jimi (and Joe Perry) had.
Yeah you're right....I don't like it at all.

SpeedKing

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 9, 2015
UK
If they made a MIM version how would they justify the Custom Shop versions?

Same with the Classic Series and Vinteras ... decade generic supposedly (though you can actually define them as having the same details as certain years... the cs70s for example fits the specs for most of '72, all of '73 and most of '74) so you need to go AV series to get exact year particular specs ('57, '62 etc.).

In fact the closest Fender currently do in terms of look is the MIJ JV Modified 60's strat. From the front it looks like a '68 maple cap save for the bare truss access at the headstock but turn it over and .... skunk stripe! Why add the skunk? So those that can still have the option of paying £2500 for a Custom Shop '69 or even £6000 for the Custom Shop Hendrix '68 both of which are true maple caps. That also gets you vintage specs (spacing, radius, frets etc). The extra £3500 from the '69 to the 'Hendrix '68 gets you the reversed nut, a different COA with the word 'Hendrix' on it and a string tree positioned unusually close to the nut like Jimi's was.

fender-jv-modified-60s-stratocaster-maple-fingerboard-olympic-white-1386007.jpg

Basically Fender will sell you anything from a white bodied and maple cap neck Squier Affinity for say £150 to the above at a bit over £1100 to the aforementioned Custom Shops ... each price hike getting you closer to the famous original instrument.

Last edited:

CB91710

No GAS shortage here
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Feb 24, 2019
SoCal
I wonder why? They would sell like crazy! They made the same guitar practically in the '70s classic series why can't they make a 69 Classic series? It's really stupid that Fender would be that idiotic.
Probably concerned that it would pull sales away from the Performer and the rest of the Vintera line.

The CBS headstock is a love/hate thing, and without the 70s Classic/Vintera being available due to the Ash situation, they probably don't want to add another CBS model to the line.
Doing a '69 would also require tooling up for a completely new neck, with the CBS headstock and heel adjust.

If they are able to bring back the MiM 70s model, then this would end up being stuck in the middle between the Vintera 60s and 70s.

Honestly, without the reversed pickup, which is what makes the sonic difference on the Hendrix model, it would be "just another Strat with a big headstock"... I don't think the market is there as you believe.

If they tagged it as a Hendrix Tribute or attached anything to him, they would also have to negotiate with and pay the family.

Riverside

Strat-Talk Member
Mar 11, 2022
Windsor Ontario Canada
Probably concerned that it would pull sales away from the Performer and the rest of the Vintera line.

The CBS headstock is a love/hate thing, and without the 70s Classic/Vintera being available due to the Ash situation, they probably don't want to add another CBS model to the line.
Doing a '69 would also require tooling up for a completely new neck, with the CBS headstock and heel adjust.

If they are able to bring back the MiM 70s model, then this would end up being stuck in the middle between the Vintera 60s and 70s.

Honestly, without the reversed pickup, which is what makes the sonic difference on the Hendrix model, it would be "just another Strat with a big headstock"... I don't think the market is there as you believe.

If they tagged it as a Hendrix Tribute or attached anything to him, they would also have to negotiate with and pay the family.
They could call it a 69 CBS STRATOCASTER...... IT'S SIMPLE! MIM CLASSIC SERIES.

Straddled

Strat-O-Master
Mar 7, 2022
Evergreen State
Fender's been responsible for the weirdest Hendrix guitars, if 6 was 9 indeed.

They started weird and went from there. Being a Jimi fan, I never liked what Fender was doing with it, wonder how Jimi feels?

He's not here to say so I 'm going to advocate for him.

Hey Fender, check this out:

Screen Shot 2022-03-18 at 5.55.27 PM.png

That's the one. Plain jane white Strat, Maple neck.

Something relatively unknown about the original model is that starting in maybe '67 the Maple necks had a Maple cap, a separate Maple fingerboard. A slab board I'm thinking.

Here's an article about it.

Hendrix's Strat looks stupidly like mine, or vice versa. That's why I bought it, I knew that the second I saw it, it was just like it, very close.

P1430325.jpg P1440593.JPG

Even the - correct - trem arms are nearly identical, spooky.

It's time for a Strat hug.

Straddled

Strat-O-Master
Mar 7, 2022
Evergreen State

Crazy, at an early funky point of the solo, he cops an little Edge riff from the future.

Here is the guitar, they let it out back in 2010 Kenny Wayne Shepperd played it on Jimmy Fallon. Sadly, he sounded just like KWS, has that one signature riff.

Last edited:

Riverside

Strat-Talk Member
Mar 11, 2022
Windsor Ontario Canada

Crazy, at an early funky point of the solo, he cops an little Edge riff from the future.

Here is the guitar, they let it out back in 2010 Kenny Wayne Shepperd played it on Jimmy Fallon. Sadly, he sounded just like KWS, has that one signature riff.

Well that's what I mean! These guitars are iconic and every true Strat lover would love to have a '69 CBS MIM Classic Series Stratocaster' come on Fender wake up!

Arrested Dev

Strat-O-Master
Jan 18, 2022
Austin, TX
Don't mean to hijack, but can anyone hear educate me about the maple "cap" vs maple neck thing? Were the '69 model year guitars with cap, or 1 piece necks? thx

I may or may not be currently obsessed with building a '69 (birth year) black with maple guitar....