MIM Deluxe Strat from the past present and future questions

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by edsdds, Sep 7, 2016.

1. edsdds

edsdds Strat-Talker

So back int he day I owned several MIM Deluxe like the Powerhouse Strat, Nashville Tele, Delonge, etc. These always seemed to have decent pickups and hardware, vintage tuners/bridge, and amazing necks. Mostly it was the neck that made these just that much more special as they seemed to always have rolled edges.

So know I am on the hunt for one and notice everything is 12" Radius. Very cool unique options but when did these all go 12" and do they have the very nice necks with rolled edges too?

2. alainvey

alainvey Senior Stratmaster

Earlier this year they discontinued a lot of the old Deluxe models and replaced them (I think) with a single Deluxe model, which is the 12" radius one you're looking at. The Deluxe Players strats were always 12".

Rolled edges has never been a thing on any mim model afaik. Just because the edges aren't 90 degrees doesn't mean the edges are 'rolled', which is a fairly labour-intensive thing. Only the USA models have this feature advertised.

That's past and present sorted. I happen to be from the year 2037, and I can tell you that Fender now uses 17.23" radii and only produces necks made from recycled children. Gibson no longer manufactures guitars but they are world leaders in microwaveable children.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  3. edsdds

edsdds Strat-Talker

:(

lol funny.

Well I am building a strat and I might have to cough up for an MIA neck.

4. alainvey

alainvey Senior Stratmaster

Better hurry up, in a few years mia necks will cost you over 50 children.

5. andrewps24

andrewps24 Strat-Talk Member

Do you know exactly what are powerhouse pickups? Is it MIM std PU?

6. edsdds

edsdds Strat-Talker

I don't remember exactly. I think they were upgraded pickups but the guitar has an active boost that you could get the pickups hotter with.

7. jpjr50

jpjr50 Strat-O-Master

Fender has also been doing compound radius necks from 9"-12" up / down the neck. I'm no shredder but a flat neck board seems to make play a bit quicker and I have big hands anyway.

I cannot play a 7.25" at all, I fumble it up big time. I think Fender needed to give consumers options and convert Gibson owners a neck they are familiar with.

Pickups are not expensive so put what you want in it. The Suhr pickups I added to my MIM Strat have turned the guitar into a beast.