• No

Votes: 4 8.7%

• Total voters

fudailrosli

New Member!
Jun 10, 2021
Malaysia
Hi guys,

During this pandemic with the lockdown and all, im quite bored and end up doing relic on my Mexican Strat

Despite the thick paintjob, i just really wanted a relic strat so so bad and ended up doing it myself

Should i be regret for what i've done? I have mix feelings on this.

IMG_20210611_022727_804.jpg

HazyPurple

You've gotta get up!, to get down!
Silver Member
May 5, 2020
UK
Looks like you've done a couple of dozen World Tours.

If that's the look you wanted, then you have succeeded.

BuddyHollywood

Senior Stratmaster
Jul 22, 2011
Venice, CA
I want to address your mixed feelings on it. Overall as a piece of art it is an interesting look. I believe the reason your feelings may be mixed is that it doesn't look like it happened naturally as a result of 50 years of play wear. It looks as if it was in a fire that burned the finish as opposed to being worn down. There is something about the symmetry that is appealing to me though.

soulman969

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 5, 2016
Fort Collins, CO
IMHO and IMHO only there is no way to realistically make a new guitar look like an old beat up road worn one. Every one I've ever seen looks like a phony man made relic job.

In most cases the body is made to look worn but all the rest looks new. Shiny metal parts, non-aged plastic, no fretboard wear or phony fretboard wear. It's just not worth the effort IMHO.

J4ME5

Strat-O-Master
Sep 1, 2020
X
If you had never done it – you would always wonder 'what if', so... all is not lost! If you decide that you do regret it – use this as both a lesson and (crucially) an opportunity! What I would do (if 'I' ended up regretting it) would be to strip the body back to wood, and respray the guitar with nitro... – in WHATEVER colour you like, play the sh*t out of it – and let time work its magic!

Every cloud has a silver, nitrocellulose lining :thumb: !

Baelzebub

Dr. Stratster
Nov 1, 2019
State of Disbelief
Your circus, your monkey.

Regret is for suckers. Learn from it. If it was a pleasant experience, repeat it. If it was an unpleasant experience, try to avoid repeating it.

Regret is just throwing good energy after bad.

BelairPlayer

Strat-Talker
Apr 3, 2012
Northern California
iu

Bricks

Strat-Talk Member
Oct 18, 2020
Martensville, SK, Canada
Hi guys,

During this pandemic with the lockdown and all, im quite bored and end up doing relic on my Mexican Strat

Despite the thick paintjob, i just really wanted a relic strat so so bad and ended up doing it myself

View attachment 486035
Did you look at many pictures of Strats that were naturally reliced by time and use? Your relic job dosen't look that natural, some of the area's you reliced wouldn't have been so worn down.
Did you sand the back of the neck? That works great for playability, your hand moves so freely.
I do tip my hat to you for giving it shot though, remember, tenacity is a great thing, just try again and check out more pictures of previously mentioned guitars.

Guy Incognito

Senior Stratmaster
May 14, 2019
Here and now
Hi guys,

View attachment 486035
First off, it doesn't matter what anyone but you thinks about your stuff....... until you want to sell it. Then it matters a lot.

IMO 99.99% of Relic'd guitars look like junk it's not a good idea to just relic one with whatever tools and no plan.

I've never got on board with faking Mojo that was supposed to be earned. The idea of buying a new Relic'd guitar is IMO silly and I laugh whenever someone sells a Relic'd guitar "In mint condition".

All that being said........I have one that I really like. Sssshhhhhh, don't tell anyone.

Here's my Relic
IMG_20210610_180336.jpg

Last edited:

Intune

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
So basically you just said the fake mojo guitar you have looks like junk, makes sense. I do agree that a lot look way over done but 99.99% is not really accurate.

Then the faking of mojo, it’s supposed to be earned. So what if I bought a vintage guitar that’s worn? It’s not my mojo, it’s not my battle war stories, what’s the difference then if I bought a new fake mojo or a old not my mojo. I didn’t earn the wear, I earned the money to buy the mojo.

See where this whole fake or real mojo doesn’t really make sense.

Guy Incognito

Senior Stratmaster
May 14, 2019
Here and now
So basically you just said the fake mojo guitar you have looks like junk, makes sense. I do agree that a lot look way over done but 99.99% is not really accurate.

Then the faking of mojo, it’s supposed to be earned. So what if I bought a vintage guitar that’s worn? It’s not my mojo, it’s not my battle war stories, what’s the difference then if I bought a new fake mojo or a old not my mojo. I didn’t earn the wear, I earned the money to buy the mojo.

See where this whole fake or real mojo doesn’t really make sense.

The only reply I can come up with is Yes.

It a long story but technically I have two half relic'd guitars lol.

In my head I don't like relic's because it seems silly to take something that's perfectly good and wreck it. Then on the other hand sometimes it looks freak'n cool.

I'm a complicated man and I go back to it doesn't matter what I think. I both "get it" & "don't get it" at the same time. Plus there's a small amount of sarcasm in that first post. Where's the sarcasm emoji?

Obviously since I have a relic I like I can't truly hate relics.

Last edited: