Join Strat-Talk Today

MIM Strat Standard, Classic, Player?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by steve_stiffler, Nov 21, 2013.

1. steve_stiffler

steve_stiffler New Member!

Hey guys!

I´m new here!

I´m also new with Fender guitars....!

My question now is.....which strat is the right for me?

I like the sound of the RHCP, Rage Against, Clapton, Classic Rock, Blues and Funk.....no Metal

Which Strat is the right one for me?

the Standard ?

what kind of pickups should i look for?

i like the 60´s strats with the rosewood fingerboard.

THX for help.

2. revmike

revmike Strat-Talker

1st question is, what's your budget. From what you've said I might recommend a 60's Classic series. An excellent guitar in the sub $1k class. If the budget is less a MIM standard would serve you well too. Lots of choices. Also if you like heavier rock you might thing about doing a MIM standard with an hss pickup configuration.

3. steve_stiffler

thx for your answer!

budget is something between 400-800 Euros (500-1100 USD)

I´ve seen a MIM Standard Plus Top SSS

It was an Amazing looking´and sounding guitar it costs abou 600 Euro but I dont know if its versatile enough!

Or if I have to change the Pickups?

I like the strats with the rosewood fingerboard, small headstock and the SSS

Dont know which one to choose.

i dont know if i should get a HSS

For that Humbuckersounds if allready got a Les Paul

THX

4. oatsoda

oatsoda Puck of Paradox Strat-Talk Supporter

Welcome to strat talk Steve. I have a 2013 MIM plus top, and love it. The ceramic pups that come stock on lots of the MIMs get a lot of negative press around here, but honestly they sound pretty darn good. If they were garbage, Fender would not have sold hundreds of thousands of them. I find that they are smoother sounding than the alnico 3s or 5s though, and if you desire that edginess to the tone, they can always be easily changed later on. There are lots of choices for aftermarket pups too.

That being said, most of us on the forum agree that the amplifier you choose has a huge factor in your tone, and if you don't already have one, you are better off picking up a good quality amp and a mid level guitar rather than a stellar guitar and a piece of junk amp.

So that's my best advice, look at the big picture before focussing on the details.

And again, love the sound of my MIM with the stock pups, through my Vibrolux Reveb, or my Carvin Nomad, or my #1 amp, my old SS Fender Princeton 112 plus.

Good luck!

5. gilmourstrat

gilmourstrat Senior Stratmaster

Welcome to the forum, Steve.

Your choice depends also on your requirements/desired specs: Standards/Classic Player have 9.5'' radius vs the 7.25'' (vintage) on the Classic Series. Also they differ on the neck profile (Modern "C" vs Soft-V).

Body wood (Alder) is the same on three models. Pickups are different between all three guitars.

My best advice is to get to a store and try as many Strats as you can. I'm sure one will "speak" to you. That's the winner. The most expensive may not be the best for you.

Standards are usually an all-round guitar with modern specs, Classic Series is totally vintage-spec and Player is vintage with a modern twist to it. All three are great guitars on there own, just different.

6. steve_stiffler

thx !

I also could say that i fell in love with this strat.

for the AMP........I have a small 8" Fender mustang as a practice amp and a 12" Peavy.

But I will change the Peavy and think im gonna go for some marshall, or fender tube amp.

are there any thinks that i should specially look for at the Mexico strats ?

some issues or problems the have sometimes?

or just the standard things?

are there any things that many people upgrade after buying a mim strat?

Tuners? Trem. block?

7. steve_stiffler

I actually like the thinner necks more than the baseballbats.

so i think a vintage will not be my first choice.

yesterday I`ve just visited a guitarstore and tested some strats.

the guitar thats been talking to me was the MIM standard with the rosewood fingerboard and the plus top.

I also tested some of the cheaper MIA strats for about 850 Euros.

For the moment plus top standard would be my first choice.

my questions has just been if there would be a fender series in that pricerange that would have been a bit more built for that kind of music.

thx for all of your fast answers ( and sry if m english is not the best :) )

8. oatsoda

oatsoda Puck of Paradox Strat-Talk Supporter

The strat is a very versatile guitar, and in the hands of a creative player, can play any kind of music. Some will argue that it is good to have a guitar with humbucker pups as well, and I'm all for that, but the standard strat is a great keystone to lay in your wall of sound.

I don't personally like a HSS strat, but play one if you can before you make p your mind. It is possible with an HSS strat to replace the stock H with one that is wired to be split, then you can still play it as an SSS, getting that mid position quack. But for me, an SSS is all I really need, and a backup SSS, and one with P90's, and a hollow body with a bigsby, and couple dreadnaughts, and a parlor, and a ...

9. steve_stiffler

THX!

I think im gonna get one of the plus top standard.

Changing the pickups if I need some hotter ones is not that complicated.

Thanks for your opinions :)

10. gilmourstrat

Don't forget to come back and show us pics! :)

11. steve_stiffler

I promise that I will stay in the Forum!

And YES I will show you a few pics.

And maybe I´m gonna make a short review :)

:) Thx for your help

12. gilmourstrat

No problem, glad to help out as much as I can.

A review would be awesome as well. :)

13. Merglet

Merglet Strat-Talker

With the money you saved on guitar I think you might be able to nab a nice little tube amp. ^_^ Looking forward to the pics of your new guitar!

14. Yogi

Yogi Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I've owned all 3, and the Classic Player would be the clear winner if it was me choosing. But if you've played them all then go with your gut

15. WineCaster

WineCaster Strat-O-Master

Classic Player 50's for life!

16. Mandrax

Mandrax Senior Stratmaster

Love my classic player. I've owned it for around 8 months and when I play some of my other guitars for a while and come back to it, I always get a smile on my face. I can happily recommend them.

17. MrPoppa2

MrPoppa2 Senior Stratmaster

MIM Strats.........

I am a big fan of the MIM dual magnet pups, and you are spot on about Fender having a great sounding Strat with those pups. If you want to have some fun, find a used SE Squier Strat, drop in some 250k pots. and an 0.047uf cap, then put in some MIM ceramic pups, you can recreate a MIM Strat for under $100.00, and have a Strat to be proud of. Thats , if you don't mind a Squier logo! ....poppa

18. Steve112

Steve112 Senior Stratmaster

I completely agree. My '79 Strat and '11 MIM Strat sound quite different but both very beautiful. I did play with the pup height on the MIM but now have it dialed in nicely. The MIMs are a heck of a lot of guitar for relatively little money.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.