Join Strat-Talk Today

MiM x MiA Charvel Body?

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by diogoguitar, Aug 10, 2019.

1. diogoguitar

diogoguitar Senior Stratmaster

I'm thinking about doing a charvel partscaster, mainly because i like the contours of the pro mod body shape. I typically buy MIA or MIJ instruments, but in this case the only option for me is MIM because I'm lefty and MIA is not available off the shelf for me.

As I think through why I prefer MIA guitars, it's basically because of the fretwork and hardware details. If I'm buying just the body, the fretwork wouldn't matter.

A higher end MIM like the pro mod series already come with SD pickups. So, I guess the question is - would I be missing out anything by getting a MIM charvel body, in terms of woodwork quality or any specs?

Thanks

2. Blue Beagle

Blue Beagle Strat-Talker

If you put a Charvel MIM body against a MIA (both with no markings), they'd be practically identical in all aspects.

3. TangerineDog

TangerineDog Senior Stratmaster

The American workers routing and finishing the body get more money globally speaking, the Mexican ones less. Taking currency value into account, they're all equally underpaid but can buy about the same amount of stuff from their respective wages in their respective countries of employment.
    So yeah, go for it ;)

diogoguitar likes this.
  4. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

With Fender, the Mex bodies are usually made of more pieces of wood than the USA .

Not sure about Charvel, but you can probably see the witness lines if you hold them up to the light and compare

diogoguitar likes this.
  5. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Get the MIM.

Your finished guitar will be a partscaster and won't sell any better with MIA or MIM body on it, you'll need to part it out to get some of your money back anyway. Start out spending less going in and the pain will be lower later.

TangerineDog and diogoguitar like this.
  6. RhinestoneStrat

RhinestoneStrat Strat-Talker

I would also go for the MIM body. I feel the quality is the same no matter how many pieces the body is. I have a '96 MIM Fender Strat and a '98 MIA Fender Strat in which both feel as equally good overall. I believe MIM is great quality and a lot more affordable.

7. slowesthand

slowesthand Senior Stratmaster

I have no idea about Charvel, but the finishes on MIM and MIA Fenders is a bit different. Most MIMs are polyester and most MIAs are polyurethane, the best I can describe is the MIA is more furniture grade and the MIM is more appliance grade.
    The harder MIM can seem more durable, more wear resistant, but if you bang it hard enough the failure is more catastrophic.
    Woodwork should be fine and everything should fit with no problem.

diogoguitar likes this.
  8. diogoguitar

diogoguitar Senior Stratmaster

thanks guys. This is helpful. I'm waiting for the right opportunity to pull the trigger.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.