Mini Floyd Rose Bridges -- What's The Story?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Vermeer, May 7, 2013.

1. Strat-Guy

Strat-Guy New Member!

Sorry for bumping this up, but how does it compare to regular bridges in term of sustain? I wonder it would have less sustain, since the strings don´t go through the bridge block.

2. davidwhitson

davidwhitson Strat-Talker

Sustain is dependent on a lot of other factors so it's hard to say how much the bridge contributes or takes away. My 95 has really good sustain but it may just be that guitar and have nothing to do with the bridge.

3. burner

burner New Member!

Question:
    How does the Fender "mini Floyd" compare in regards to post width vs. an OFR?
    Anyone?

4. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

Not sure what either's actual post width measurement is, but I do know that the Blanda bridge (the "mini Floyd") has the same post width as the non-locking Fender 2 post bridges because they are direct replacements for each other.

davidwhitson likes this.
  5. MGW-AB

MGW-AB Strat-Talker

I had a 1998 American Deluxe Fat Strat Locking that had the Fender Floyd. There was a very slight sustain difference but it was minimal. Likely due to the cast steel block. My biggest gripe with the Fender Floyd was the saddles themselves. Pretty rough finish on the blocks that was a real pain to keep clean and then the allen head lock screws were prone to rusting as well. I had to remove the bridge to brush the rust off with a soft brass wire brush and then lightly oil them about every two years or so. I never did figure out how to remove rust from the hex socket where the allen key goes. Those gripes aside, it was a pretty good bridge. I never once had a string break at the saddle like you sometimes see on a regular two-point. In combination with the LSR and the locking tuners the tuning was pretty stable.

6. burner

burner New Member!

Ah, I see...thanx.

If the mini Floyd/Blanda is the same width as the standard Fender 2 post bridge, then...NO, it is NOT the same as an OFR.
    So there's that.