Mini soldering iron ?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by StratPlus97, Sep 3, 2017.

1. StratPlus97

StratPlus97 Senior Stratmaster

I'm looking for a recommendation on mini portable soldering irons.

2. busted-e-again

busted-e-again Strat-Talker

You mean portable like a Mag Torch, or portable like you can plug it in anywhere without a base station?

Recommendation depends on use. Are you soldering surface-mount components or sweating water pipes? For emergency in-guitar wiring I'd get a 60W Hakko and don't forget a little metal stand.

3. StratPlus97

Portable as in NON plug in. Not sure what a Mag Torch is. Soldering for guitar use.

4. busted-e-again

busted-e-again Strat-Talker

StratSounds likes this.
  5. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

Remember, you need a lot of BTUs when soldering on the back of the pots, or to the claw.

johnnymg likes this.
  6. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member

Agreed............. 60W. High heat for very short time is best for the back of pots.

7. jaybones

jaybones Dr. Stratster

Don't forget flux. Couldn't figure out why my grounds weren't sticking, until someone asked me "You use enough flux?"

8. ivan H

ivan H Strat-Talker

I'd also recommend getting a couple of different tips for the iron, a larger chisel type for the back of pots, claw etc, & a fine conical type (probably already fitted to the iron.) I know you specified "non plug in," & butane irons can be handy little items, but really, electric is the way to go wherever possible & as was pointed out, anywhere you're going to use an electric guitar you're going to have electricity. A temperature controlled electric iron can be had relatively cheaply. Regarding flux, make sure it is electronics grade, no acid type flux. Same with the solder you use. Hope this helps. Cheers

9. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

I have a small battery iron, don't know what the wattage is but so far it's done everything I need it to. I thhink I got it at HD or Lowes

10. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Way too complicated advice so far. Soldering like playing a guitar is as much about technique as the equipment.

Run over to harbor freight and get their cheap soldering iron. Spool of rosin core solder. Heat up the wire end and put solder on. Sandpaper the back of the pot and splash some solder on the pot. Then put the wire to the pot and heat the two together pressing a little solder into the pair and the iron. Use a wood stick/pencil to hold the wire to the pot as you pull the iron away. Done.

If you need to solder off-grid then get an inverter or a really big fresnel lens out of a television screen and aim well.

11. StratPlus97

Uhh, probably going to need electricity? Pretty sure, I would NEED electricity an electric guitar.
    Although, I'm not sure what that has to do with my question. You may be implying that I should be using a plug in soldering iron I guess, which I have.

I'm simply just asking for some recommendations on a portable non electric soldering iron.

12. StratPlus97

Thank you, but i do know how to solder, and have been doing it for a while now.