Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Minimum tube amp for gig

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Rasputin13, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN
    For my larger amp I use an efficient speaker.
    More than 50W goes to waste.

2. 8T_BoCO

8T_BoCO Aspiring Stratospheric Stratitician Strat-Talk Supporter

Mar 2, 2016
    Colorado
    Yes, SS is far more portable. My 4 lb Quilter 101 head isn't tube, but to my ears doesn't sound like a traditional SS amp.

3. Rasputin13

Rasputin13 Strat-Talker

Jun 14, 2017
    Cleveland
    So educating people new to this who don't know where to start is frustrating to you? You don't have to chime in then.

4. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Indeed not. What is frustrating is that most posters will "chime in" without mentioning a lot of particulars regarding the genre they play, the PA systems they encounter, whether or not they need various tones or just subtle shadings of the same tone. There is also the issue of whether or not a lot of bands keep their drummer in a locked closet and deny them nourishment. Most of the drummers I know, hit the tubs hard and dare you to keep up.

D

jimyjazz and StratEdgy like this.

5. Stratkins 51

Stratkins 51 Strat-Talker

Jan 16, 2016
    Somerset,England
    Fender BJ is a great little amp.I used to play bass in a three-piece with a guitarist using a BJ,it really cut through nicely in smaller venues.
    When I gig on guitar,I use a Laney cub 12r 15w valve combo.I prefer it to the JR as I find it more flexible and I really like the edgy break-up sounds from the < 1w input.This amp never seems to get a mention,but I think it's worth a try.I even turned down a bargain priced tweed JR at my local store,just preferred the Cub.

wildhawk likes this.

6. Rasputin13

Rasputin13 Strat-Talker

Jun 14, 2017
    Cleveland
    Why do no tube amps have the capability of plugging headphones in?

7. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Certified Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    With a tube amp, odds are you'll need pedals to do that anyhow.

If your band's drummer has no concept of dynamics, it's time to find a new drummer.

8. Dadocaster

But he's my only son!!! I would miss him. A LOT!!

D

9. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    So sit on him until he learns. In future years he will thank you.

jimyjazz and Stratkins 51 like this.

10. Dadocaster

He is in HS marching band drum line. Those kids make some noise.

D

jimyjazz and StratEdgy like this.

11. Dadocaster

This is making me want to play drums.

TAKE COVER CATS!! GONNA DRUM NOW!!

jimyjazz and JustABluesGuy like this.

12. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    My five year old grandson can make a hell of a racket on the drum kit I bought him for Christmas. It doesn't mean that I'm willing to listen to it, I sent him home with it and left that pleasure to his Dad.

13. Dadocaster

I am that dad...

D

14. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    Sometimes, being a grandparent has it's advantages, one heck of a way to get your own back on your kids. :p

15. wildhawk

wildhawk Most Honored Senior Member

Feb 12, 2014
    Here
    Around here I call them former drummers.

True. It doesn't take much.

I've done large churches, park pavillions, banquet rooms and other places larger than the average bar with amps running nowhere near 25w.

I had an old MIM Fender 25R that was way too loud to stand by dimed.

PA systems are dirt cheap these days. If a person needs 50, 100, or more they must be playing large venues and should buy one.

16. Tomas83

Tomas83 Strat-Talker

Jul 30, 2014
    NE in the 4 corners
    One can play a gig with a Blackstar HT-1 (1watt). It sure depends on lot of things though. I tend to think you are better of with a tiny amp and at least a 2x10 speaker cabinet (or 4x12) than 100w combo with a 12 inch speaker. Buy the amp you like the most in your desired price range and for venues with good PA you can even gig with a Joyo American Sound amp simulating pedal like I've done multiple times and it sounded very good.

StratEdgy, wildhawk and Thrup'ny Bit like this.

17. Kerry Brown

Kerry Brown Strat-Talker

Mar 5, 2014
    BC, Canada
    I tried a Blackstar HT1R with a 4x12 cab at a jam with drums, bass, and two other guitars. The bass was running a Peavey 200 watt, the other guitar's were in a Peavey 5150 with a 2x12 and an Orange TH30 1x12. With every thing dimed on the Blackstar it was pretty good for rythmn but was lost in the mix for lead. I was pretty impressed with how loud it was but it wouldn't really be a usable gigging amp. There were no cleans at all. It had one usable tone, everything dimed.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017

18. jeff h

jeff h Senior Stratmaster

Jan 13, 2017
    Ohio
    There is this level of satisfaction to firing up my 6505+ on top of a 4x12 slant top. The volume may only be at 1 or lower, but it does bring a smile to my face. :D

To the OP, There are a plethora of 18 watt tube amps on the market. No need to look at anything more powerful if you don't want to. It can certainly do the job. We have a lot of those Z amps down here and they are pretty popular but there are many many choices.

19. liltimmy

liltimmy Senior Stratmaster

Play live with who? How often? What kind of music? What kind of clubs? Other bands before or after your show? Does the drummer hit like a girl? 15-25 watts will cover it unmic'ed but I would fire the drummer. If you can't hear the rimshot=band timing will be less than ideal. Does he arm himself with American rock crusher sized sticks and hit full force? You will want 45 watts at minimum, minimum. If you have a "rock n roll band" and are using a 15 watt amps cause you can hear it over your drummer I won't be staying for your show....

Guys will say "but you can mic your 5 watt Marshall and be just fine". That's assuming the soundman is competent enough and the PA is powerful enough to push plenty back through your monitor. Many clubs don't have monitors, this is a reality. Many clubs have a PA but no soundman. Many monitors aren't powerful enough to kick you back enough sound to be heard over a loud drummer. You wanna tote your own monitor on top of the other gear you gotta bring? It's easier to bring a bigger amp than it is to bring a small amp, a bunch of extra PA gear, and a mic, cable, and stand for your guitar amp mic.

If you note the post below that "tube amps are fragile and need maintenance" i.e retube once to a couple times a year. That's if you use a gutless little blues jr or deluxe reverb because you are always pushing the amp to it's limit. Gigging regularly those amps can and will fail when the going gets loud. It's that simple. A big, powerful amp does not need to be serviced that often and is less likely to die at a gig. 6L6, 6550, KT88, KT66 powered stuff is more reliable than EL34, 6v6, and EL84 amps. You generally aren't working a big amp as hard as you would a little amp.

I have a twin reverb. It's been two years since I had a retube. Still sounds good and I am into the volume knob pretty deep at 9/10 gigs or more. It lives in my truck. I blow speakers, not tubes. Hardly fragile, hardly unreliable. Heavy? Heck yeah.

20. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Strat-O-Master

Sep 3, 2016
    Houston, TX
    That's it! Take out your frustration on them!