Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Minimum tube amp for gig

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Rasputin13, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Some say that cats are dumb. My cats are smart enough to spot drumsticks and run.

D

JustABluesGuy and Thrup'ny Bit like this.

2. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Strat-O-Master

Sep 3, 2016
    Houston, TX
    They are quite smart. Another great thing about cats is, they know exactly how you feel.

They don't give a ____ , but they know!

3. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Well put.

D

JustABluesGuy likes this.

4. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member

7 watt Garnet Gnome single channel amp...With a good overdrive pedal and a speaker change yes this amp can hold its own....

Attached Files:

StratEdgy and Kerry Brown like this.

5. StratEdgy

StratEdgy Strat-Talk Member

Jul 13, 2017
    NW Coast USA
    The times they are a changing!

From my perspective, sound reinforcement has gotten really great, and almost pervasive at small venues that still support live music. Usually the 'music' is just incidental to the main activity (socializing, drinking, trade show, BBQ, fundraiser, beerfest, farmers market, craft faire, wedding, wake, etc... ). Most music that people listen to 'now', is only a viritual recorded performance via the internet. In either case, a mic'ed 5W tube amp with a great speaker is about the perfect tool. Unmic'ed, it is loud enough for you and the band to hear on stage without you, or your audience, going deaf. As you play live at larger and larger venues, the sound system will scale accordingly, so a 5W amp still works.

So... get the best low power amp with the best speaker you can find.

6. Stratkins 51

Stratkins 51 Strat-Talker

Jan 16, 2016
    Somerset,England
    Good point,i've no idea-someone will though.You should get an answer soon.

7. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Certified Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    The output stages would have to be completely redesigned, in that process the whole point of the tube amp would be lost, may as well buy a headphone amp for $20.

Tone Guru and Stratkins 51 like this.

8. Boppy

Boppy Strat-Talker

May 29, 2011
    Toronto
    It sounds like some of you guys are playing friggin' stadiums.
    I've gigged clubs/bars even outdoor parties/events with a Fender Champ 12. It's hardly ever cranked past 6 or 7.

Thrup'ny Bit and wildhawk like this.

9. wildhawk

wildhawk Most Honored Senior Member

Feb 12, 2014
    Here
    Do you have a PA?

How big are the venues?

I wouldn't want a dimed Twin anywhere by me.

:eek:

10. Kerry Brown

Kerry Brown Strat-Talker

Mar 5, 2014
    BC, Canada
    I wear earplugs when my 20 watt amp is past five. Can't imagine playing a twin at five let alone dimed.

11. wildhawk

Feb 12, 2014
    Here
    Some equate quality of sound with quantity of volume aka the louder the better.

:rolleyes:

liltimmy and Thrup'ny Bit like this.

12. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    Nobody I know has gigged with anything bigger that 50W in years, they never dime them. Few still use tube amps, those that do use Princetons or Deluxes and all the bands have their own PA systems.

wildhawk likes this.

13. jimyjazz

jimyjazz Senior Stratmaster

May 15, 2015
    New Zealand
    Some very good points dado ...

14. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    Marshall Class 5 has headphone option as does the Vox AC 4 I think.

15. Vindibona1

Vindibona1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I didn't read all the pages of replies. But I have a Blues Jr. Tweed and yes, it would be the minimum for gigs, but should be adequate. I've played mine, unmiked at an outdoor gig (with small audience) in front of a 65 piece concert band. It was loud enough. My stepson in NYC has a regular Blues Jr and has toured with it and plays with his Alt Music band unmic'd and it is loud enough for a small venue.

FWIW, I use my Blues Jr as a clean amp, so I have changed out one of the tubes in V1 from the standard 12AX7 to a 12AY7 for more headroom, turn the master all the way up and dial in the loudness with the Volume control. Notice that that control is marked "Volume" NOT "GAIN", though most people intuitively use it as a gain, which you can. If I want dirt I use pedals which are much easier to control and adjust as the acoustic requirements change from place to place.

If you're considering a Blues Jr, play the black Tolex model next to the Tweed model. You'll hear a distinct difference. To my ears the Tweed has a much nicer sound.

Good luck.

16. wildhawk

Feb 12, 2014
    Here
    Same.

Half stacks. 212 combos, etc. are endangered species around here.

Saw a 50w Marshall in use at a motel parking biker rally couple summers back. Guy was a long way from 10.

17. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    Most places won't allow excessive noise these days, the neighbours know their rights and licensing, once lost is hard to get back. The days of going home with your ears ringing and a pain in the chest from 4000 watts of bass amp in a 40ft square room are long gone.

18. liltimmy

liltimmy Senior Stratmaster

Venues range greatly in size. Most have a pa, half don't have monitors. A lot of odd shaped and layed out places where a twins power is mitigated by the muddiness of the room. The drummer is pa shopping now. I will still be cranking the twin.

Some of the smaller venues let me play loud. You can't complain when bands are working for small guarantees, percentage of the bar, and tips. I play how I wanna. A couple venues are lame for various reasons so i actually crank to obnoxious levels in those. Mostly to drown out background noise. On 6th if you aren't loud you won't draw people in off the street cause they won't hear you, so there is a money factor there. Other bands are loud there. You want to hear them over your band? Bring your blues Jr. Volume helps make money.

Also, load in is a headache. Only a very dim person is gonna try and tote 10k worth of pa gear down there. They block off the streets and you can't get it out. Also, there are bands before and after you. They always run late. You don't have an hour to set up. More like you should have started 15 minutes ago.

I cranked last night. I will crank tonight. Most of you dudes are rock and rollers who think dimed means the guitar volume is maxed out. You gotta ride it. Dynamics let you deceive ears into thinking its quieter. All how you use it.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017

19. Gladius

Gladius Strat-Talk Member

May 17, 2014
    China
    It's the power of marketing and too many people who don't know giving an opinion. If you're in a situation where a 15 watt tube amp can cover your bases that's fine but I'd seriously questions the amp sounding as good as it's higher wattage peers.

The issue isn't volume, it's headroom and the ability to get good tone. No itty bitty output transformer has the iron to put out big boy tone. Special amps like Princetons exist but a half stack with the volume on two is going to have a better tone. There will be more depth, headroom, and the space will be filled more efficiently.

And yeah, you can point out individual amp models that this doesn't apply to but at any volume a stack or high volume combo will sound better than a mini amp.

Dalendl likes this.