Mint 1967 Champ

bsman

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 4, 2014
Storage B
Champs (of any vintage, frankly) and their clones are - to me - about the the very best choice for playing at home and even useful for playing out, if miced up or in a quieter setting.

Stevem

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 3, 2014
NY
There great, and 95% of the time depending on the output tube that's in them they sound there best cranked up through the stock 4 buck speaker they come with, just Mic it up !

In fact for live they are small enough to sit in there own nearly sealed off acoustic box for Micing purposes so that you get minimum bleed thru of other instruments.

PCollen

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Feb 13, 2014
Florida
I may be able to get my hands on a mint original 1967 Champ. What do think about these little monsters?

If you're into collecting vintage amps, fine. Truthfully, my little LT25 ($149) can do what the Champ does, fullfill the same purpose for me, and much more. Of course, it has absolutely no visual stage appeal or wow-factor. I have a friend that paid over $1000 for a new, hand-wired tweed Fender Champ a few years ago. After playing though it in his living room I left thinking his money could have been better spent.

Last edited:

Jimgchord

Strat-O-Master
Jan 29, 2016
New york
I think if you are a collector, thats great. But if you just want a home amp to play, a good clone will be far less expensive and more reliable. And dont buy into the hype that they sound best dimed, they dont. At all. 4-6 is where you want to be.

T-Rey

Strat-O-Master
Sep 17, 2020
Georgia
I say go for it if it's what you want and a fair deal. My buddy just got a drip edge Champ no too long ago and it's a really great sounding amp!

teleamp

Strat-Talker
Silver Member
May 21, 2009
Prairie Hill, TX
Some times you luck out and get one with all original parts/tubes/and speaker that sounds really sweet. I love them with strats for low volume clean playing. The stock alnico speaker should be well broken in.

Gedster

Strat-Talker
May 11, 2021
NSW Australia
Any Blackface Fender amp will probably continue to increase in value in coming years. 67 was still early enough that the CBS bean counters probably hadn’t had time to “refine” the design, so it’ll still have a lot of Leo in it and so it’s likely to maintain its desirability for a long time to come.

Grab it. I’d reckon you’ll probably double your money in 10 years.