Mixed start to a week of gigs...

Mansonienne

Mod admin
Staff member
Silver Member
Dec 2, 2015
Paris suburbs, France
Last night we played the first of 4 gigs over a week (I'll miss the last one). It didn't start well at all.
- our bassist, who was playing another concert during the day, got held up and showed up 1/2 hour after we were due to start, while the café owner told us to start early, so we played for 40 mn with no bassist, totally messing up the setlist we'd planned.
- my amp (DRRI) went on the blink so I lost sound halfway through our second set. Switched to the singer's acoustic - later he broke the high E string on that. I eventually figured out that the Custom channel seems shot - I was was able to play through the Vintage channel for the last set. So now I have to get the amp fixed but have 2 more shows this week.
- we had sound problems and couldn't hear each other. The lead guitarist basically didn't play during one of the few songs I sang, and the other guitarist was playing something weird, which made it really hard for me to stay on key.
- it was really hot - around 36 C.

But despite all that, people were dancing on the sidewalk, clamoring for more, asking where and when we were playing next. I think we even got another couple of bookings out of it. Go figure.
So we ended on a high. I'm exhausted. Tuesday is Fête de la Musique, we'll play from around 7:30 pm until we drop or they kick us out. I hope we get the sound sorted out. I guess I'd better bring a backup amp and a mic...

IMG-20220619-WA0001.jpg

soulman969

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 5, 2016
Fort Collins, CO
Some nights are like that. We used to play a pub near my house where everyone knew us so we were always popular.

I used to tell people that some nights we could have walked into the kitchen, came back with a load of silverware, tossed it up in the air and let it hit the floor and the crowd would've still drank and danced to that. For some things there are no explanations.

Stu78

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 20, 2019
Scotland
Last night we played the first of 4 gigs over a week (I'll miss the last one). It didn't start well at all.
- our bassist, who was playing another concert during the day, got held up and showed up 1/2 hour after we were due to start, while the café owner told us to start early, so we played for 40 mn with no bassist, totally messing up the setlist we'd planned.
- my amp (DRRI) went on the blink so I lost sound halfway through our second set. Switched to the singer's acoustic - later he broke the high E string on that. I eventually figured out that the Custom channel seems shot - I was was able to play through the Vintage channel for the last set. So now I have to get the amp fixed but have 2 more shows this week.
- we had sound problems and couldn't hear each other. The lead guitarist basically didn't play during one of the few songs I sang, and the other guitarist was playing something weird, which made it really hard for me to stay on key.
- it was really hot - around 36 C.

But despite all that, people were dancing on the sidewalk, clamoring for more, asking where and when we were playing next. I think we even got another couple of bookings out of it. Go figure.
So we ended on a high. I'm exhausted. Tuesday is Fête de la Musique, we'll play from around 7:30 pm until we drop or they kick us out. I hope we get the sound sorted out. I guess I'd better bring a backup amp and a mic...

View attachment 570992
Sounds like 9 out of 10 gigs I've played, been there! 🙂 Sure it'll all work out fine. People were dancing and enjoying it so job done. 🙂👍

One_Dude

New Member!
Apr 3, 2022
Appalachian Wilderness
I have played several dates over the years that I thought were absolute train wrecks for one reason or another; yet some of those performances got the most compliments from the audience. We bandmates even said to each other "were they hearing to the same stuff we were hearing?" I can't explain it, sometimes it just happens; we always vow to be better the next time.

Play on,

One_Dude

Mansonienne

Mod admin
Staff member
Silver Member
Dec 2, 2015
Paris suburbs, France
Our final gig, a reception at the British ambassador's residence on Thursday, was our best - partly we had a better sound balance. The band did play a private garden party yesterday, which apparently went very well, but since I wasn't there (was watching the Stones in Hyde Park, London), I assume it wasn't the best one!! 😋

Baelzebub

Dr. Stratster
Nov 1, 2019
State of Disbelief
Our final gig, a reception at the British ambassador's residence on Thursday, was our best - partly we had a better sound balance. The band did play a private garden party yesterday, which apparently went very well, but since I wasn't there (was watching the Stones in Hyde Park, London), I assume it wasn't the best one!! 😋
How does one still feel bleak after watching the Stones in Hyde Park?

Latest posts