Mixing pickups

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by SonOfLerome, Apr 7, 2021.

1. SonOfLerome

SonOfLerome Strat-O-Master

Probably a bit of a noob question- but is it possible to put say, a fat 50’s in the neck, a 69 in the bridge and a stock MIM “vintage” in the middle position?

Part two of that question is are pickups position specific? Could I put any pickup in any position?

Thanks!

2. Ace38

Ace38 Senior Stratmaster

Yes, you could do that. Yes, you could put any pickup in any position...thats how they did it in the old days.

3. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Most Honored Senior Member

The only concern I could think of is if a given pickup has a reverse winding aka RWRP intended for the middle position. This allows for a humbucking effect in positions 2 & 4 with standard pickups. Leave a RWRP in the middle.

Hotter pickups may be best for the bridge location as they cut through, but you might like that in other positions too.

Aside from that, mix and match as you see fit - experiment.

4. BuddyHollywood

BuddyHollywood Strat-O-Master

I have a TV Jones Power'Tron humbucker in my bridge position, a Fender Tex Mex bridge pickup in my middle position and a Rose Robusta (50s vibe) neck pickup in my neck position. I chose to put the Tex Mex bridge pickup in the middle because the middle Tex Mex middle pickup is reverse wound. I didn't want the quack sounds to be hum cancelling. The bridge pickup already is.

The combination is great! I like having a little extra juice in the middle pickup. I can lower it a bit more and when I blend the bridge humbucker in a little it adds the high end sizzle of a good, fat sounding Strat bridge pickup.

StummerJoe and SonOfLerome like this.
  5. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

Absolutely! I've mixed Fender and non Fender pickups with great results. It's a fun experiment that can yield great results. And sometimes it doesn't. You won't know until you try.

6. Fenderbaum

Fenderbaum Strat-Talker

7. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Senior Stratmaster

You can mix most brands and positions. With passive p/u's no problem. It's when you start getting into active pickups and other newer designs that it becomes either really tricky or not possible.

StratoMutt likes this.
  8. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Mr. Serious Gold Supporting Member

I’ve got two Duncans and a Fralin in my Telecaster, and once I figured out their polarities it was a cinch.

9. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

After you've installed the pickups, then be sure to adjust heights by ear to balance when switching and get the best tones. May involve tipping more/less bass/treble. Up/down heights.

I'll start with the pickup covers flush with the pickguard and raise them until the best tone (often pretty close to full down), then raise the bridge to balance well with the neck pickup.

10. thatStratGuy

thatStratGuy Strat-Talk Member

I'm getting ready to order a Fralin Blues special. I have a Fender deluxe roadhouse with vintage noiseless pickups. It has the v6 pre-amp that turns the pickups active when you use it. I have no clue what it will sound like if I go active, but honestly, I don't use the pre-amp a ton and when I do I always forget to unplug and drain the battery. lol

11. EC Strat

EC Strat Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Yes absolutely! That’s part of the fun for it for me. Creating something more or less unique / something you can’t buy off the shelf that nails what I’m looking for - the tone in my head

I have one Strat with CS 69’s in the neck and middle and a SSL 5 in the bridge

another one has SSL 1’s in the N and M and a Seymour Duncan antiquity bridge

can’t get enough of those combos