MN serial number?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Baelzebub, Nov 21, 2020 at 12:14 PM.

1. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Senior Stratmaster

Local ad for a "50th Anniversary" Strat with an MNXXXXXX serial number. Doesn't come back from the Fender site and has a Made in Mexico marking. Nothing else on it indicates any connection to the 50th Anniv.

I've seen MX numbers before but don't recall seeing any MN's. Anyone got info on this?

2. FrieAsABird

FrieAsABird Strat-Talker

I have seen quite a few MN... serial numbers, mostly on models from the mid 90s to mid 2000s if I recall correctly- if my memory serves me correctly, I saw a first version Jimmy Vaughan Signature with a MN serial a few years back. Maybe somebody else will know more?

Baelzebub likes this.
  3. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

MN = Mexico 90s......first number is year it was made (ish, could be a bit of overlap).....strange you've never seen MN because they're on all Mexico made guitars from 1990/91 to 1999......

In 1996, Fender put a 50th badge on the back of the headstock of ALL guitars, so a lot of people think they have some kind of special anniversary model when it's just a regular Standard....

got pics?

4. Baelzebub

Not so unusual really. I'm relatively new at all this and have been cramming a lot into my head over the last few months. Might even be that I'd seen one but it didn't register.

Here's the ad:

https://wilmington.craigslist.org/msg/d/leland-fender-strat-50th-anniv-sss/7234631287.html

No badge or marking on the neckplate or anything I can see what makes it a 50th... and the first number is 6, so I guess that would jibe.

Guitarmageddon likes this.
  5. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

Yep, this is just a 1996 Standard, nothing more 'special' - tuners are changed.....and are badly aligned, looks messy.....they're not all straight....

arcticstrat likes this.
  6. Baelzebub

Yeah..I noted that. Thanks, as always.

Guitarmageddon likes this.
  7. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

There is a little oval medallion on the back of the headstock for the "50th Anniversary of Fender's Founding" - sorry the photo comes up as an "X" when I tried to post it, but look at the photo of the back of the headstock in the ad.

For what it's worth Fender MIM serial numbers were "MN" plus 1 digit for the year plus a 5 or 6 digit number during the 1990s and "MZ" plus 1 digit for the year plus a 6 digit number in the 2000s - Fender just put an "M" in front of the Letter/Number prefix they used on USA models during that time. Of note MIM numbers run from mid-year to mid-year, so this MN6 prefix was used from roughly July 1996 to July 1997. In 2010 Fender went to their current "MX" plus 2 digits for the year plus the 6 digit number (in roughly July 2010, after using up the "MZ9xxxxxx" numbers).

As always there are weird exceptions - the MIM Artist Signature models added an "S" prefix in front of the "MN" or "MZ" part, and some of them wound up using the "SMN" prefix until the mid-2000s.

arcticstrat likes this.
  8. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Silver Member

My 1996 Fender Standard Telecaster headstock “50th Anniversary” badge:

22757ABE-8B63-4E89-85AB-84DA8E73069A.jpeg

macoshark and arcticstrat like this.
  9. arcticstrat

arcticstrat Senior Stratmaster

Yep, it’s a ‘96 thing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Except for the Fender MIM Traditional black label line.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AxemanVR likes this.