Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Mod Questions about Classic Vibe 60's Strat

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by jatna, Sep 7, 2010.

1. jatna

jatna New Member!

Sep 7, 2010
    Oregon
    I am considering buying a classic vibe and modding it some.

I would like to know what size the hole for the tuners are and if these locking tuners: http://www.warmoth.com/Schaller-Mini...-P985C726.aspx or these: http://accessories.musiciansfriend.c...ELAID=26024109 would easily fit as replacements. If not, what locking tuners would easily fit?

Secondly, I would like to know what type of replacement pickguard to order, 11 hole standard or something else? Will this fit well for instance: Black/White/Black SSS Pickguard for Strat. ?
    What options should I pick on this page: Warmoth Custom Guitar Parts - Strat Pickguard to get a good fit?

Thirdly, I am thinking of putting in a Guitar Fetish tremolo kit. I have read contradictory information as to if I need the USA steel or the "made in Mexico" tremolo kit. Which is it?

Thanks if you can help.

2. zag1

zag1 Strat-O-Master

Dec 14, 2009
    Washington DC
    Those CV 60s Strats are nice. They use the 11 hole pick guards, but it's up to you what pickguard you want. I guess you don't like the one that comes with it. Can't tell you what size the holes are, but are "locking" tuners mandatory? The CV 60s Strat uses the same 2 1/16 string and mounting spacing as the MIM. I've never bought a trem from GFS, so I don't know in that dept. That guitar is really nice as it is. IMHO

3. capt_goodvibes

capt_goodvibes Senior Stratmaster

Sep 28, 2009
    Land Down Under
    Theres really no need to change anything on the CV60's, if you want a different color Pickguard Stewmac sell nice Pickguards that fit perfectly, I got the Mint Pickguard for my CV60's from them and it fitted perfectly, the Tuners are fine on the CV.

You should just play it a while, its a awesome Guitar exactly how it is

STEWMAC.COM : Strat Pickguards Single/Single/Single

This is the Trem you need

"Made in Mexico" Import Strat UPGRADE trem- Solid STEEL block

This is my CV60's with Mint Pickguard from Stewmacs, and my Sham Kamikaze

[​IMG]

And My CV60's and CV50's Tele with my homebuld 18watt Marshall Clone Amp

[​IMG]

SOL Guitars
    www.solguitars.net

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
    johnnymg likes this.

4. Tele like it is

Tele like it is Left is right! Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    If the CV comes with classic style tuners (Kluson type) then you'll need to ream the holes for any of the current type of lockers. According to Warmoth's site, the following brands have the follwing sizes:
    Vintage- 11/32
    Schaller- 25/64 or 11/32
    Gotoh/Grover- 13/32 or 11/32
    Sperzel- 25/64
    Planet Waves- 13/32

I know that the modern Fender tuners are the same size as the Sperzels, 10mm (25/64), but have different locater pins that need to be drilled for; 2 on the Fender, 1 on the Sperzel. Personally, I use, sell, and recomend the Sperzels for all guitars needing/wanting lockers.

As for the GFS trem, it will most likely be a vast improvement, and you should go with the MIM replacement size, I believe.

Pickguards are finiky, and none fit exactly the same. Almost all require a little fitting and sometimes dowling and redrilling of a hole. Use the 11 hole style and then make what mods you must to fit it. Start with a good quality unit from a name you know and trust.

5. jatna

jatna New Member!

Sep 7, 2010
    Oregon
    Thanks for the info. Could someone tell me what size the holes for the tuners are on the CV60?

6. ToneGuy

ToneGuy Strat-Talk Member

Mar 29, 2009
    Tennessee
    I agree with locking tuners for your CV 60's Strat. I have both the CV 50's and 60's Tele and on the 50's Tele I put Fender Schaller locking tuners. I think the GFS has a great price on the locking tuners at about $30. I stay in better tune with locking tuners. I also replaced the pickups on my 50's tele with Seymour Duncan Handwound Antiquity Tele pickups. They are one of the best set of pickups on the market. There was a huge change in tone for the better when I did this. I put a compensated tele bridge on mine, but you don't have that issue, you may want to put a bigger block in the tremelo and maybe go with a LSR Roller Nut... That really makes a difference on how well you can use the whammy bar. That is just about it. The electronics are ok, so no new switches or pots are needed out of the gate.

I have played both of the CV Strats and you are going to love it. Enjoy the GAS buzz.. lol

TJ

7. Tele like it is

Tele like it is Left is right! Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Does it have the modern style or the Kluson style (I'm guessing the Kluson)? The sizes would be 25/64" or 11/32".

BTW, I recomend the Sperzel's if you go with lockers. It pays to get the best!

8. EGrier65

EGrier65 Strat-Talker

Sep 10, 2008
    Hiawatha, Kansas
    The CV50/60 have the Kluson style vintage tuners. You could go with the Gotoh vintage locking tuners. That way the holes all line up and you wouldn't have to resize the holes. They should be a direct fit. These are the ones that come standard on a Classic Player strat. I like them on my CP50. String changes are fast and easy. They stay in tune well also.

STEWMAC.COM : Gotoh Locking Vintage Oval Knob Tuners

Dan_Q likes this.

9. spanker63

spanker63 Strat-O-Master

Nov 9, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Egrier,

I just checked out those tuners and while reading the reviews one states this:

"They forget to mention you are limited in the size of the low E string that will go through the hole. .049 and 0.50 are definitely out. They won't go through the hole. I had to use Lite strings, .009 to .042. Not happy"

Is this true?

I play 11s now, and i've been interested in the locking tuners for the quicker string changes. Its really the only thing i have an issue with with this guitar. It stays in tune just fine, its just I'm not too quick about changing strings with the vintage style tuners.

10. Hugh

Hugh Needs Mo Motown Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 26, 2009
    Louisville (KY)
    I took the 60's and 50's and built one. I didn't change tuners yet.

An '08 CV 60's neck and pick guard on an '08 CV 50's body. Stock CV neck plate, jack plate, pup covers, knobs, and tuners. Callaham Mexican Standard trem and Callaham aluminum shield plate, CTS 250k audio taper pots, Switchcraft jack and switch, Orange Drop .047 tone cap, Klein S6 p/ups.

pics
    Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum - Hugh's Album: Squeir Classic Vibe Upgrade

Pab. likes this.

11. fenson

fenson ----------------------

Jan 11, 2009
    Canada
    One thing about the CV tuners to be aware of is , the bushings are glued in. You will have to heat them up with a soldering iron to remove them. I forget what size holes they are do a search. Some they posted it in the past.
    Maybe in the Cv owners club?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
    Pab. likes this.

12. Pab.

Pab. New Member!

Dec 6, 2014
    Martinez, Ca. 94553
    I spent $200 on a Callaham bridge setup. There was no change in tone or anything else. So I installed locking Sperzels. They are really heavy. That guitar came to life! I am about to install a set of those on my 60th anniversary Classic Vibe. CV Squiers play well. Mine came with a Shawbucker and 2 Tex-Mex pups. It plays and sounds great. Wilkinson makes a very nice big block bridge for about $45. A bone nut and I am set. With a few tweaks, a CV Squier is every bit as good as an American Standard Strat.

13. Dan_Q

Dan_Q Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 26, 2016
    NW UK
    I have a 50's, and i havent felt the need to change anything except the tuners- mine wasnt very stable on the tuning side of things.

A few weeks ago I fitted standard fender (non-locking) gotoh made replacement tuners, and they went straight in. I'm not sure if the original bushes were glued in or not, but they did come out using the right size drift and a tap from the back side- you can damage the finish this way though so probably best to use the method as suggested by @fenson I say. The screw mounting holes were slightly mis-aligned for the new ones but with jiggery pokery they went on, without the need to re-drill. Tuning has been much more stable since- although its early days just yet.

I dont know anything about locking ones, but if they are available in a similar style from gotoh, I'd say try those would be worth considering. good luck! :thumb:

14. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Don't you think you should try the guitar as it is before deciding if anything needs replacing? It may not do, which could save you a lot of money.

15. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Certified Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    And I hate them. They're a nightmare to use and the break angle of the strings over the nut is wrong.

16. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    FWIW, I'm in the 'don't mess with it' camp. I think the CV is just about perfect. I wouldn't change a singe item on mine.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

17. Xtyfighterx

Xtyfighterx Strat-Talk Member

Mar 21, 2017
    Idaho
    Tuners are great that come with them honestly. If I was gonna mod out a guitar I’d pick a different platform honestly. Mine has the mint pickguard to hard to tell in the pic but it looks classy in person.

Here’s my CAR
    5894370D-32C8-421C-B8B1-6952F1D101EC.jpeg

johnnymg likes this.

18. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    I have a 2009 CV '50s Strat, it has the same vintage Kluson style tuners as the CV '60s. I still have the stock tuners on it, and have never had the slightest problem with them. As far as I can tell they are the same vintage style tuners used on the MIM and MIA Strats, and are solid and work just fine. Why change them?

As for the bridge, a MIM standard bridge (or any bridge with the same specs) will drop right in.