Modelers, effects and whatnot

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by esharpe123, Aug 15, 2021.

1. Stonetone

Stonetone Most Honored Senior Member

Cant go wrong with any products from the helix family WIN_20210815_17_31_54_Pro.jpg

2. s5tuart

s5tuart Perfecting time travel since 2525

Haha!
    Neither of those sound fizzy to me but the second does seem slightly more processed to me.
    I'll bet I'm wrong :p

3. Hal Nico

Hal Nico Senior Stratmaster

For me it's not an,"Either Or". If you have the place to be able to use amps/combos and mic them then great. I however live in a quiet area and have a good neighbour so being able to use Amp modellers means I can keep the volume down and still get great sounds.

If I ever went back to playing live I still have an old 100w Fender transistor combo that I would use but might stick one of my Amp modeller/FX pedals into it.

I have a Zoom G1on and now using a NUX MG200 used on these,

:)

4. pkailas

pkailas Strat-Talk Member

I am currently using a Line 6 Helix through a powered monitor speaker. I love the flexibility, but to be honest, I cannot get the true amplifier harmonics to sound quite right. I'm still waiting on my EVM 5150III EL34 x 2 combo. Once I get that I will be able to get a better handle on the modeling. I have a feeling that adding Line 6 through the clean channel will give me a better result.

I suspect that while modeling is great, you still need a great amplifier to get the best result.

Cyberi4n likes this.
  5. Cyberi4n

Cyberi4n Strat-O-Master

I powered mine with a Harley Benton class D rack amp into a 2x12. Never had any problems getting harmonics, but you’re right, the ‘warm’ tube amp feeling wasn’t quite there. Even though you’re able to model things like “hum” and “sag” and a myriad other things…..

6. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

That’s how they get you. All the guitar players in the 60’s and early 70’s had the best tone because they just plugged into amps.

7. metrokosmiko

metrokosmiko Strat-Talker

I'm pretty sure that old time guitar players in the 60s would've killed for something like the Katana.
    Affordable, sounds great, lightweight and sturdy, has most if not all the sounds you could need, you can record it, gig it, practice with it.

This is such a useful and well thought product that for a second you'd be fooled into thinking that profit was not the main driving force behind it.

StratUp likes this.
  8. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Senior Stratmaster

The problem is that you are approaching the subject with logic and common sense.Unfortunately humans want ALWAYS something to complain about...its engrained in our dna...especially when things are very good the need to complain gets stronger rather than weaker.....guitarists nowadays have countless tonal and recording options, even in their privacy of their own home that back in the day barely existed in studios and yet....they are still dissatisfied with their gear.....you simply cant win:D.

9. brashboy

brashboy Strat-Talker

I have the original (primitive) Line 6 Flextone, which has like 15 amp emulations. It still sounds gooooood. Especially the JC120 sim - I had a JC120 many years ago and though I loved it dearly, sold it b/c of the weight. I cannot tell the difference, really.

10. StratUp

StratUp Senior Stratmaster

They didn't have the option. Look at how fast new effects like Fuzz, Wah, etc were jumped on in the 60's.

Meanwhile, few could afford multiple amps to play and get different sounds or they might have done it... and amps took lots of space. A lot of pros would try multiple amps until they found their sound or would hook up with an amp maker who worked with them.

How many effects do you think Jimi would have tried and would have on his "board" today?

Lastly, most of us are trying to imitate multiple artists. Most artists don't have that challenge.

jd35801 and Scott Baxendale like this.
  11. stratology

stratology Strat-Talker

In terms of ease of use: it is so much easier to store and recall an exact sound with the Kemper than it was with my previous setup with a tube amp and huge pedalboard.

Ane when I practice and have an idea, sorting things out to start recording literally takes under 10 seconds now.

I still have a wonderful Fender Tweed Twin, but haven't switched it on in over a year...

12. Scott Baxendale

If Jimi was alive today he’d probably be playing a jazz Archtop or something? He used a fuzz face, Univibe and a crybaby Wha. He’d probably still have the same tone. If you study Jerry Garcia in 1967 he played a Strat straight into a twin when he died he was playing the Wolf guitar through a midi pedal board with something like 70 pedals in it through a crazy preamp/power amp combo and yet his tone sounded almost exactly like his Strat through a twin. All the best bands in the 60’s and 70’s had great guitar tone(much better than in the 80’s) and it was because they used guitars plugged into amps for the most part. I have a massive pedal board but I always hated it and prefer to use no more than three or four pedals on most gigs and keep them off most of the time.

jd35801, Black59 and Stonetone like this.
  13. Scott Baxendale

I could never use something like that.

Black59 likes this.
  14. jwag

jwag Strat-O-Master

Interested in this topic myself, I’d like some type of modeler or modeling software for recording. I’d like to participate in the improv challenge, my iPad doesn’t do my amp/pedals much justice. It’d also be fun to record in general.

15. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

I sound like me through anything. Worked pretty hard to get there.
    If you can play...you'll sound fine through anything.

16. Stonetone

Stonetone Most Honored Senior Member

ahhh well Scott, Modeling is not for everyone which is why i always say, it always comes down to the individuals preference, no wrong no right

Cheers
    Stone

17. Wayne Adams

Wayne Adams Strat-O-Master

I use a Boss GT-10, because it gives me the ability to have multiple patches. We play, or have played at one time, everything from George Jones, Waylon Jennings, and John Anderson to AC/DC, Styx, and REO Speedwagon, to Gin Blossoms, The Cars, and Pink Floyd. And everything in between, in any given night. I would much rather be able to step on a couple of switches than have to adjust my whole rig between songs. It’s been a long time since I could “set it and forget it”.

jd35801 and Hal Nico like this.
  18. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Guitar Player Platinum Supporting Member

Yeah, the talk of endless menu scrolling often sounds like it's coming from an unfrozen caveman with OCD. It doesn't take much to get a few sounds set up.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
  19. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Guitar Player Platinum Supporting Member

I really, deeply, profoundly do not care what other people choose to play through. I have one floor modeler (a GT-1000) and a bunch of simple amps. I like both.

20. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

A lot of times these modelers are easier to navigate around than Facebook or an iPhone. If you know how FX work which many players do, you can get something going pretty quickly.