1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Modeling Amps... Who really needs all those options?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by AxemanVR, Aug 23, 2020.

Does anyone really need ga-zillion tone options?

1. Yes! Every tone on the planet pleeze!

41 vote(s)
    41.4%
  2. I’m just happy my guitar sounds like a guitar!

58 vote(s)
    58.6%
  1. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Silver Member

I realize some people like to have choices, but I’ve never felt limited by my arguably less versatile tube amps...

dalezjc, Robins, Stratoman10 and 2 others like this.
  2. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

I use the modeling amps, and end up sticking with a simple mid-gain setting and a low gain setting. It’s nice having so many options though, as tastes may change.

and the built in effects are a huge bonus.

fos1, Brian H, TinyTree and 7 others like this.
  3. Jason D

Jason D Senior Stratmaster

I really just like an amp that has a very solid tone and then add a pedal or too. I don’t like many effects at all-delay occasionally, wah a lot, boost, and maybe some reverb. Just a good good driven sound that I can clean up with the volume is the simplistic sound I’ve gravitated toward over the last several years.

StummerJoe and Stratoman10 like this.
  4. AxemanVR

I get the fun of tweaking amp and effects models, but I guess I what I was really wondering is who out there actually plays everything from Country music to Death Metal?...

fos1 and Baelzebub like this.
  5. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast

Maybe studios really get mileage from them?

Jesse414 and guitarchaeologist like this.
  6. AxemanVR

`
    Good question... do major studios use modeling amps over real ones?

Do artists use the studio amps over their own?

`

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    circles likes this.
  7. Jason D

Jason D Senior Stratmaster

Studios, or musicians in the studio, typically use “real” amps unless a particular sound would come from a modeler.
    Musicians will use their own gear OR the studio’s gear depending what will work best for the track. That’s also why some major studios and producers can charge what they charge-they tend to have a hell of an inventory of cool equipment they’ve acquired over the years, everything from mics to amps, guitars to effects.

FrieAsABird and circles like this.
  8. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Senior Stratmaster

THIS. Plus, I have nothing but time. So I like to try to take one effect a day, usually with some delay or reverb, and explore all the different tweaks I can make and how they affect sound/tone. For example, today I discovered the different vowel sounds and how contrasting the #1 with the #2 or adjusting the depth varies it. Then, of course, I had to run through a couple different versions of those settings with different pickup positions.. I got lost for about 1.5 hours just doing that. But I got a good feel for that effect..and tomorrow I'll try another. Or maybe try that one the the EC and see how the TBX amd MBX can make some noise with it.

Will I ever use this stuff? Probably not. But I definitely won't if I don't know what's there. And besides....I got nothing but time......

9. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Senior Stratmaster

Yeah..like Tom Scholz..lol. See my "Came Across This While Surfin'" thread...

Jason D likes this.
  10. ajb1965

ajb1965 Old Enough to Know Better Gold Supporting Member Silver Member

The band I'm in covers a lot of ground but admittedly I use the same basic settings throughout the set. Low gain, mid gain, and high gain lol. I run a tube amp most of the time with the standard assortment of pedals but mostly just run a bit of delay.

At home on my own though, I do like to experiment. I have a couple of guitar synth pedals and play around with ambient reverbs and delays in stereo and starting to implement loops into it. It's fun and something different from just playing along with jam tracks.

Rudedawg likes this.
  11. Ruscio

Ruscio Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I think the idea is that even no single user plays that variety of styles, they can make one device and sell it to that wide a variety of users. Each of us probably gravitates to a relatively small number of tones we like, but they won't make separate modelers for each of us! Once they go digital, it's really not very hard to just throw a huge range of effects in there and make the device appealing to as wide a customer base as possible. Is amp/effect X, Y, or Z a deal-breaker for you? We've got 'em all, you're covered!

joe_cpwe, fos1, Baelzebub and 4 others like this.
  12. ajb1965

ajb1965 Old Enough to Know Better Gold Supporting Member Silver Member

Also starting to see amp sims being used more and more, especially in top 40. Some of the more recent ones are simply amazing.

Baelzebub and Stonetone like this.
  13. BuddhaFingas

BuddhaFingas Strat-O-Master

I bought a Vox VT20X modeler for my first amp.

I still havent outgrown it, but will someday soon add a pure tube amp once my skills mature more.

Nice thing about a good modeler is, for a beginner, its easy to discover what you like withoit spending any additional money. Free experimentation!

I dont use every opition yet, but I routinely use about 7 presets, and I would have to buy quite a pile of gear to get those 7 setups from components.

henderman, Rudedawg and Jesse414 like this.
  14. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

Me. Not every day but over time, I will play a very wide range of music.

Rudedawg and Jesse414 like this.
  15. guitarchaeologist

guitarchaeologist Papa Americano Silver Member

At least studio musicians that may need drastically different sounds from day to day. These guys and gals likely have a dozen or more amps for various needs.
    But, I think most of us, whether playing professionally or sitting in the den at home, are seeking to define our unique sound, and that doesn't necessarily require multiple amps or unlimited modeling.Like @nickmsmith said, we find one or two sounds that work and the rest is there if one wants it... at least that's been my experience. YMMV.

16. Jesse414

Jesse414 Senior Stratmaster

I had a mustang v1 when I got my first electric never really liked it. To many options I ended up tweaking settings for hours. Sold it and got a vox pathfinder I was much happier with that.. Now I just like to plug into my tube amp. I do have a few pedals I use sometimes. I'm way happier with way less options.

17. bobalu

bobalu Strat-Talker Silver Member

It's the built-in effects that sold me. They have evolved over the course of time from being "gimmicky" sounds and are now at a level of quality that matches pedals, and in some instances studio effects. I'm still exploring the capabilities of my Boss Katana II. I will say for straight forward sound situations, I still grab the Princeton or Deluxe Reverb as needed. Notwithstanding my love for the Katana, there is still something to be said for the plug and play simplicity of a classic tube amp in a gigging situation. :)

nickmsmith likes this.
  18. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Silver Member

ive used tube amps since the 80s, so yeah i like them alot.
    but i took a chance and got a helix.....and let me tell you it rules.

19. Blue Beagle

Blue Beagle Strat-O-Master

Me for one.

I like knocking a bit of Mayer, Clapton and Hendrix on a 'Fender' sounding amp. RCHP on a Marshall-y type with fairly low gain. Finally I spend most of my time playing Iron Maiden tracks.

So yeah, if there's a tube amp that can cover all 3 of those types of sounds well then I'd bet it'd cost a hell of a lot more than my Pod Go does (or my old Katana did).

Also surely you understand that the more things a product does well, the much bigger the target audience is?

Rudedawg, Stonetone and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  20. Blue Beagle

Blue Beagle Strat-O-Master

Got a Pod Go recently (essentially a mini Helix) and I'll never go back to traditional amps. Absolutely no need.

nigelr, Stonetone and heltershelton like this.