1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Modeling Amps... Who really needs all those options?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by AxemanVR, Aug 23, 2020.

Does anyone really need ga-zillion tone options?

1. Yes! Every tone on the planet pleeze!

41 vote(s)
    41.4%
  2. I’m just happy my guitar sounds like a guitar!

58 vote(s)
    58.6%
  1. Lewbypls

Lewbypls Strat-Talker

Would you say that the pod go is a better purchase than the stomp or headrush gigboard?

2. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member

Who said marry?

3. Mr C

Mr C Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

The really interesting thing about digital apart from the continually collapsing cost of quality is the ability to use machine learning. Given some of the stuff, the guys in my wife's offices are working on I suspect we're pretty close to just asking your laptop to dial in the sound of 'X' recording and it will reproduce the tone exactly through a FRFR powered cab. All voice-controlled so no messing about with creating presets etc...

stratology likes this.
  4. The Strat Dude

The Strat Dude Posy rules!

We can have both if we so choose , can't we?

Ebidis, Bladesg and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  5. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

The only FX I use on my Katana is the Reverb and delay. I just plugged in my strat and dialed in a nice gritty Marshall tone using the “Lead” channel. Took minutes and it was quite fun. Paid $300 for my Kat 100. No regrets. My HR DeVille 4x10 was awesome but it weighed two tons

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  6. ThebiggestJerk

ThebiggestJerk Strat-O-Master

Note voting choices would be very appealing.

7. longboard blues

longboard blues Senior Stratmaster

Had a couple, from Vox and Roland, and tried a couple of others - didn't like any of them. The models don't behave like the thing they're emulating, and the effects are , IMHO, universally horrible. Small tube amp for me.

Cali Dude likes this.
  8. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Strat-Talker

People who need amp sims or kempers and multi-effects etc are usually:

1. People who play in cover bands with a diverse set
    2. Session players who are not strictly genre specific
    3. People who gig but need to travel light and cheap if the show does not pay much

This question reminds me of photography forums where heated arguments develop about why "I DONT NEED F*ING VIDEO!!!" on the latest Nikon or Sony ff dslr or mirrorless.

Its a slippery slope. At the end of the day you don't really need anything, just sing/shout and beat on anything with your hands.

9. Rudedawg

Rudedawg Strat-O-Master

Yeah really, you could end up on skid row drinking Woolite.....
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
  10. tery

tery Dr. Stratster

I find one setting that I like on any amp - and leave it there .

Ebidis likes this.
  11. Stratattack72

Stratattack72 Strat-O-Master

For me no . Noone needs all of that usually. If you play in a cover band which I have done you need some more flavors that cover a wider variety of music , but not endless options. My favorite on my Mustang IV I used to own version one was the Fender Bassman setting and use an outboard overdrive pedal. That was a great sound and not over complicated !

Cali Dude likes this.
  12. stratology

stratology Strat-Talker

Where's that coming from? Don't know about the other Kemper players here, but I certainly don't fit into that demographic. I've seen Kemper amps frequently in rigs of large Metal acts. Players as diverse as Pat Metheny, St. Vincent, and even country players like Michael Britt play Kempers.

Misfit and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  13. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Senior Stratmaster

I just want something that sounds good clean and takes pedals well. "Emulating" tones is something I do with amp settings and pedals. I'm not anti-solid state at all, but I don't want somebody else's presets to make guesses for me.

14. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

Do you use somebody else's presets on your pedals? You're modelling your sound just as much as somebody using a modelling amp models theirs. They're just doing it in one box. The preset business is just a distraction.

15. mutato

mutato Senior Stratmaster

My friend has the Vox VT20+ he got used for $80. Nice amp with all your modeling type settings and stuff. He bought it to use for small gigs at bars. Acoustic, bass and electric on some cover songs.

He had played with some presets but they always ended up sounding very thin. I was over his house the other night and fiddling with the controls. I noticed he always was using the power scaling knob as a master volume knob. That was pulling the power down to something like 3 watts. I told him to keep that up to full power (or close to) and use the proper volume and master volume controls. Gives better Bass response now.

But the thing is, there's almost too many ways to control volume on this amp (four ways!) and in the hands of someone not willing to read the manual (!), you end up with sucky sound. I set him straight! LOL

Vox top.jpg

Chont and BallisticSquid like this.
  16. nigelr

nigelr Senior Stratmaster

I have a Helix LT which I've gigged for the last 2-3 years and before that I had a POD HD. I have 4 main sounds plus 4 more I use occasionally, so I don't use 99% of what it can do. I bought it because of the sounds and the convenience.

When I was gigging with a previous band over a period of of around 5 years playing live once a week I had a JCM800, Soldano Atomic 16, Peavey Classic 50 and a Laney VC30 all fail on me during a gig or sound check.

I saw Steve Morse come out on stage at the start of a Flying Colours gig to play the first chord and........nothing. The tech rushed on but it wasn't until the song was almost over before any guitar was heard. In the late 90s I saw Trisha Yearwood at the Cambridge Corn Exchange play an acoustic set midway through the concert because the guitarist fried his amp and it took 20 minutes to get a replacement.

That's why I don't gig with tube amps anymore. Modelling sounds great and is way more reliable.

17. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Most Honored Senior Member

Steve Vai blew up an amp during a gig. Fast forward to about 3:50 in the video...suddenly, no guitar sound.

AxemanVR likes this.
  18. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

15 years ago i had a 2 x 10 120? watt line 6 with the big optional foot pedal controller/wah/volume.

and yeah when i put a mesa next to it and used the line 6 "mesa model" it could not compare in sound quality.

but only needing 1 cable between the amp and the board while being able to switch between many varieties of sound and effects easily for not a lot of money is not exactly a bad idea.

jtoomuch, nigelr and nickmsmith like this.
  19. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

You make a great point here. On the Katana user groups, forums etc there has been this ongoing debate of Master Volume all the way up, preset to taste and vice versa, coupled with the Power setting. I've often thought this of the modelers i've used that there's just more places for volume adjustment than necessary. The preset volume at full and control volume with the "Master Volume" knob argument doesn't make sense to me because you have no wiggle room to raise volume on a preset to match a volume that's louder on another. Lately I've been just putting my Katana on half power (50 watts in my case), set preset volumes to allow for up or down adjustment and use the Master Volume knob as my room volume. It's a very easy amp to dial in without having to putz around with a computer.

chicago slim likes this.
  20. stratology

stratology Strat-Talker

I had to cancel rehearsals after an hour due to Kemper failures and crashes. One Kemper update changed 1/3rd of my sounds to a degree where I would hit a note, and nothing could be heard for half a second, followed by a farting note. They had changed the way the amp interprets a specific parameter - imagine that after a MS Word update, all your 'E's are changed to 'F's in all your documents and templates - same effect. The only way to fix it was rolling back the OS, because, even after begging and pleading with them, Kemper support flat out refused to fix the issue. To paraphrase - "F's look much better than 'E's, f** off'.

When you look at rigs of pros using Kemper, you frequently see racks with 3 Kempers - 2 for backup, to avoid reliability issues.

Modelling amps are more consistent and less flaky than tube amps, but not necessarily more reliable. When you have a hardware issue with a Kemper, you have to send it to Germany, while a tube amp can be fixed by your local service tech.

Cali Dude likes this.