1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Modeling Amps... Who really needs all those options?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by AxemanVR, Aug 23, 2020.

Does anyone really need ga-zillion tone options?

1. Yes! Every tone on the planet pleeze!

41 vote(s)
    41.4%
  2. I’m just happy my guitar sounds like a guitar!

58 vote(s)
    58.6%
  1. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

One thing I like about the Mustang amps is that they have a "basic amp" preset for each different amp model. No FX or garbage. Just the basic amp. So you can use those to build your own presets, or just use the basic amp model, and tweak the knobs like you would on a real amp. It makes it pretty simple.

jtoomuch and johnnymg like this.
  2. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Senior Stratmaster

Yup, that’s the way I also use my Mustang v. 2.0. It’s a great little practice amp!

jtoomuch and Ebidis like this.
  3. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

The III has a full compliment of knobs. Had I realized how big a deal that is would have gotten a III.

4. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

Yeah, it does make a big difference, because you don't need to use the Fuse software. You can do anything that you can do in Fuse right on the front panel LCD screen.

However, once I have a basic amp dialed in the way I like it, I usually never touch anything but the treble, mid, bass, gain, volume, and reverb knobs. Just like a real amp.

Thrup'ny Bit and nickmsmith like this.
  5. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

Me too but I still know where I stashed that glorious Twin with the Crestline clean, the compression, and the bit of delay. Like a pipe organ it be....

Ebidis likes this.
  6. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Senior Stratmaster

Wow, 8 pages. I'm going to go ahead and commit the cardinal sin of commenting without reading the whole thread. Sorry.

It's individual. I am lucky enough to have found a singular tube amp that suits me and my style. I have a modest pedalboard with more options than I really ever use anyway.

But I did own a Katana for a hot minute and it was a blast. I can see the appeal. I even wrote a lick inspired by a random fuzz octave setting that I plan on using in a song eventually.

So to each their own.

RadioFM74 and Cali Dude like this.
  7. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

...that is a big part of why I dig them. YOUR PLAYING AND WRITING CHANGES WHEN YOU RADICALLY CHANGE YOUR VOICE.

Ebidis and Agtronic like this.
  8. Agtronic

Agtronic Strat-O-Master

100% agree with this. When my father picked up a Rocktron Voodu Valve for himself, I started messing with it and my playing went from blues to Satriani / Vai style. Something about how the tones your hear invoke different ideas in your imagination.

Stonetone likes this.
  9. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

Yeah. There is for sure some thing going on there...

jtoomuch likes this.
  10. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

To be fair though. You don't have to have a gazillion options to have a modeling amp. Look at Yamaha THR100 or the new Fender Tonemaster amps.

Anacharsis and Ebidis like this.
  11. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Senior Stratmaster

Yes to most of the comments that precede. I can see everyone’s point. My point was that when I moved from a modelling amp to a simple tube amp, I discovered what it is to have an amp that has its own voice… you can tweak it, adjust it, and it will change at different volume, but the thing has its own voice. And if you happen to love it, and make it the foundation of your sounds, it’s a wonderful thing. That’s what I meant. But I totally get the charm of having a little object capable in itself of giving you a broad palette of tones.

Cali Dude likes this.
  12. Bcorig

Bcorig Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

You’re describing the process of studying your equipment. Takes time and patience to explore.

Baelzebub likes this.
  13. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Senior Stratmaster

Precisely.

14. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

I prefer the amp be me rather than I be the amp. :D

RadioFM74 likes this.
  15. scooteraz

scooteraz Senior Stratmaster

I’m playing in a church band, and we went “silent stage” some years ago. So, the options are something portable like a Helix (or better more recently, a Pod Go), or lugging around an amp and attenuator and pedalboard to get the sounds and effects I want/need for the range of songs we play. Do I prefer the sound of a real am? Yep. But the divide is WAY closer than it used to be. And do I want to lug an amp, pedal board and attenuator around on top of the guitars/cables etc. Also, some songs require acoustic, and I can cover that in a Helix, etc, without a bunch of additional boxes. Plug into the guitar switcher, then Helix (Pod Go) and main cable. Done.

Do I need every preset? No. But, if I’m Line6 or Kemper or Fractal or Positive Grid any of the rest, I as a manufacturer need ALL of those sounds so I can cover everyone and sell to the broadest market. A million presets/amps/effects are not for a given player; they are there so EVERY player is covered.

Bob the builder and Chont like this.
  16. brians

brians Senior Stratmaster

The way I see it after reading all this,
    We are fortunate as guitarists to live in this digital age.
    Technology like this is relatively cheap, so why not embrace the options available and make it work for you.

If one loves that Tube amp, all good.

In my case, going to jams or friends, I really don't miss the weight burden of a beast of an amp and a pedal board and so many cables.
    I can take all my gear in a car boot ( trunk)

I'm going to sound like me, whatever I play through , so taking one amp with everything I need is just fine by me, and no one listening to us cares what equipment we are using as long as we sound ok.
    If we don't sound ok, the last thing we can blame is the gear.

Fwiw, I'm finding Boss and Blackstar really have it nailed in the modeling arena. I would buy a Helix in a heartbeat but I really can't justify the cost.

I feel sorry for the drummers, they don't have these labour saving options.

Stonetone likes this.
  17. mattlikespizza

mattlikespizza Strat-Talk Member

I just really enjoy not having to spend more money as I tweak my tone.
    I also have no interest in gigging, so the ability to run my sound out of studio monitors at apartment level volumes is wonderful.

I'm currently using Bias FX2 and I've been able to get some insanely good tones out of it. I recently demo'd the Cory Wong Neural Plugin and it somehow sounds even better.. It's insane for the cost, but I'm sticking with Bias for a while because it's entirely too easy to get caught up in that "holy grail" tone chase and neglect what actually matters. The guitar industry has a nasty way of selling someone else's "ideal" tone as the end-all-be-all. It took me along time to realize that It's rarely better.. it's just different.

I do wish I had a little back porch 5-watt vintage tube amp for noodling in the evening though.

Cali Dude likes this.
  18. stratology

stratology Strat-Talker

They do.
    ;)

I have used the Drumjam app on iPad in the past. Hard to find a a drummer or percussionist who sounds that good. And I can MIDI sync it to my TC Looper, and sync delay times in the Kemper...

19. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Senior Stratmaster

Do I need to comment when what I would say mostly been said?

It depends what you're doing with your music. At home for fun I really don't use many effects and prefer to just plug in and go. I can literally use the old transistor Park 25G I got for $50...it has a sorta crappy reverb, decent clean decent Marshall-esque distortion. Whatever.

In my 'I play in a cover band' mindset...it's very different. I use a Vox Tonelab modeling pedalboard for amp/tone presets, reverb, delay, and a tuner. Modulation effects I mostly run outboard. I run that Vox into the front of a tube amp (and I bring two amps). I'd also say that the amp/cab options are good because you do need to find the sound you like and what I've settled on jazz, blues, an metal players probably wouldn't.

I like the modeling pedalboard because its way cheaper and easier than individual pedals. I like the sound of it straight into an amp and plus I can still control my stage volume. If an amp dies, I do bring another along on stage. If the Vox died, I'd go straight into the 2 channel amp and get thru the night because on my pedal board along with the Vox Tonelab I have a TS-9 and a TC boost pedal. Not ideal, but serviceable.

Like a lot of people have said, on the modeler I also only have a couple basic amp tones I use and then tweak/add effects as needed. My clean is based on a Fender Pro and dirty is Marshall JCM800. I use a couple other things for specific cases when needed.

Bottom line is that for performing, live or recording, having some tonal options helpful. For personal playing having just a couple sounds, clean & dirty is all I need

20. l88vette

l88vette Strat-Talker

IMG_4587.JPG Still after 20 years one of the best modelers but it does have a pair of 12AX7 tubes. I mostly use it on the Super Reverb setting. Built like a tank and weighs like one but great tone.

jtoomuch likes this.