Modern Proco RAT 2?

hamerfan

Strat-Talker
May 11, 2020
Bavaria
I've been on the hunt for the 'end all be all' distortion pedal for my board, and I think this is it for me. After going through countless other gain pedals and OD combos, I decided to give this one a shot and am pretty pleased with it. It's got a useable function pretty much any way you set it, depending on your rig of course. I particularly like it with the distortion set to about 2 o'clock, Filter at 9, and level to taste. Plus it stacks well, which is always a plus. For the price, Proco Rat 2 hard to beat!
I am on the same trip and discovered a barely crunchy Tubescreamer into a Rat. Now i look for DIY clones at pedalpcb.com and aionfx.com into a double sized enclosure. Will be a fun project.
For how a TS into Rat sounds look here at the end (12:50 min) playing with a TS10 into SK10 (Rat clone)

Last edited:

hamerfan

Strat-Talker
May 11, 2020
Bavaria
New Rats sound good. They sound better in a band mix than in the bedroom.
I currently have only a Fat Rat because I like it at 18v, which other Rats won't do. It sounds exactly like the 1987 Rat I had.
I did swap in an LM308N chip.
I like the Fat Rat mode for strats.

Eric_G

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 10, 2021
Quebec
I am on the same trip and discovered a barely crunchy Tubescreamer into a Rat. Now i look for DIY clones at pedalpcb.com and aionfx.com into a double sized enclosure. Will be a fun project.
For how a TS into Rat sounds look here at the end (12:50 min) playing with a TS10 into SK10 (Rat clone)

If you have interest for the SK10, pedalpcb released their board last week… just saying.

hamerfan

Strat-Talker
May 11, 2020
Bavaria

Baelzebub

Dr. Stratster
Nov 1, 2019
State of Disbelief
I've been on the hunt for the 'end all be all' distortion pedal for my board, and I think this is it for me. After going through countless other gain pedals and OD combos, I decided to give this one a shot and am pretty pleased with it. It's got a useable function pretty much any way you set it, depending on your rig of course. I particularly like it with the distortion set to about 2 o'clock, Filter at 9, and level to taste. Plus it stacks well, which is always a plus. For the price, Proco Rat 2 hard to beat!
One of the sites...maybe that Pedal Guy, did a demo on the new Rat that encompasses every incarnation since they first came out, and demo's the differences in each setting. Something like 7 or 8 Rats in one. That might satisfy your hunt.

HazyPurple

You've gotta get up!, to get down!
Silver Member
May 5, 2020
UK
I went thru a phase of buying cheap clones.

This Amuzik isn't the worst one out there and has vintage-turbo modes;

IMG_20220806_132634991.jpg

4pickupguy

Strat-O-Master
Sep 22, 2014
Texas
I've already bought the pedal. Are the modern ones not the same as the classic ones from the 80s/90s?
The components in the modern version are no where near the quality of units made in Kalamazoo in the 80’s/90’s. I ran out and bought a modern V2 when I started playing again after about 17 years. It was harsher and buzzier than I remembered, but since I had been away for so long, I didn’t question it. I bought a 94’ Vintage reissue rat at a guitar show and walla. I now have quite a collection of great sounding Rats. Two stellar examples are the Jam Rattler and the Chicago Stompworks Mr. Vermin ($75). Many others out there but yes, the V2 is hit and miss at best. Rats however, rule!!