Modified my Blackie today

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by wrvond, May 27, 2020.

1. wrvond

wrvond Senior Stratmaster

I was looking online for a service diagram that would list the part number for a c. 1993 Ultra or Deluxe bridge assembly when I came across a service diagram for an American Deluxe.
    @gretev has a thread about the bridge tone pot mod and this drawing shows a setting that selects all three pickups at the same time. I thought this could be interesting if a person were to put two no-load pots in the circuit.
    Sadly, I'm out of no-load pots in my parts box, but decided to go ahead with the project on my black Strat with CS 69 pickups and a no-load in T2 position and a regular 250k tone pot in T1.

Here's the wiring:
    deluxe wiring.JPG

And here's the switching:
    deluxe switching.jpg

So, with the switch on and 5 way in position 4, all three pickups are on And T1&T2 are active. I'll admit I'm not quite clear on exactly which pickups are affected by which tone pots, but suspect T1 is strictly neck and T2 is middle and bridge. Setting T1 to '10' is pretty close to bypassed, but still, I would like to bypass it completely.
    I still need to take a few minutes to adjust the pup heights for equal amplitude, but even now position 4 gives a very full, rich sound that I am liking.
    So, out of curiosity, do you guys with the American Deluxes use the "all three pups" position very often?

Groovey and gretev like this.
  2. Michael919

Michael919 Senior Stratmaster

Interesting! Very cool. Thanks for sharing. Keep us posted on what you think.

wrvond likes this.
  3. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Strat-Talker

I have a MIM Deluxe Players Strat that has a push button that adds the bridge pickup to the 4 & 5 positions, and I really like the extra versatility of that guitar. I wouldn't call it my #1, but it's running neck and neck in the #2 position right now.

wrvond likes this.
  4. Michael919

Michael919 Senior Stratmaster

I need someone to explain this wiring.

It looks like the Stage A side of the switch is doing all the regular work of both sides, with the Tone's right off the pickup Input lugs and the Output to the Volume right off the Stage A Output. I see the neck and middle connected to tones, but not the bridge.

Stage B seems to be solely for engaging the bridge pickup with a jumper off the bridge input lug to Lug A on Stage B and then output to the Push/Pull off of Lug 3, connecting the bridge to the volume pot when engaged.

So, where does the bridge go to a tone pot 2? What am I missing?

wrvond likes this.
  5. gretev

gretev Strat-Talker

I don‘t think I have ever heard all three pickups at the same time on a Strat. I wonder what that would sound like. I am thinking fat like a humbucker. Let me know about the results, i am intrigued.

wrvond likes this.
  6. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

It just sounds a little fuller and rounder, but not much. I had a micro switch to turn on the neck pickup years ago, when it was a quite popular mod. It got removed eventually, because it didn't make enough difference to get used very often.

7. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

When you engage the S-1 switch on the American Elite Strat, you have even more tone alternatives that you don't get to hear every day.

• Position one: all three pickups wired in series
    • Position two: bridge and middle pickups wired in series
    • Position three: middle and neck pickups wired in series
    • Position four: bridge and neck pickups wired out of phase, with a special tone capacitor
    • Position five: bridge and middle pickups wired in series and out of phase, in parallel with neck pickup
    I use position 4 for pretty much all rhythm and position 5 for solos a lot as it increases volume and brightens it up a tad.

wrvond and Michael919 like this.
  8. Torvald

Torvald Strat-Talker

Interesting, but it seems like you can do all that and more with just a Fralin type blender pot, which to my mind is a simpler mod to do.

9. HighwayStar106

HighwayStar106 Strat-O-Master

I have one of mine wired to get the neck and bridge combo and it's a pretty cool sound, kind of like a Jazzmaster. It also gave a great blues sound with the tone controls on both pickups turned all the way down. I've never wired a Strat to get all 3 pickups at once, but it would interesting to try it at some point.

wrvond likes this.
  10. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

I'm liking no switches

Junior5.png

more and more. :D

wrvond and dublindave8456 like this.
  11. wrvond

wrvond Senior Stratmaster

When I put this guitar together, the pick guard had a hole between the tone knobs for some reason. Looking in my parts bin I had a used mini toggle. I must have had it in the plate at some time for some reason I can't remember. Anyway, to fill the hole, I put the switch in - not connected to anything. Installed a set of CS 69's and wire my usual Delta Tone circuit.
    Came across the previous service diagram. Couldn't leave well enough alone...

So yesterday I spent some time with the guitar and my amp (Champion 40) trying various settings.
    The bad news is that position 4 with the switch on (all three pups) is quite muddy. Adjusting EQ turns the guitar into a one trick pony because all the other positions become way too bright. There is some increase in roundness of the sound, but not enough to merit all the knob turning.
    The good news is that with the switch turned off, the Strat acts like a normal Delta Tone wired American Series with CS'69 pickups. So at least I don't have to go back in and completely rewire the guitar again.
    I'll leave it wired as is, with the switch in and maybe mess with it from time to time, but for now it'll be filed under "interesting" and "novelty".