Join Strat-Talk Today

Mods to your Player Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by kingclark75, Oct 2, 2019.

1. kingclark75

kingclark75 Strat-Talk Member

Hi All,

Not that I plan to mod my Players Strat at all ( where have I heard that before ). What mods if any have you made to your players Strats?

2. DeMelo

DeMelo Strat-O-Master

I’ve never needed to mod anything in my guitars, except to fix something.

The way I see it, the company makes standard instruments for the average player. If you feel the need to change anything to better suit your playing, then you do it.

3. Tuner Sandwich

Tuner Sandwich Strat-Talker

The Players series are dang near perfect. But you know the saying, If it ain't broke, mess around with it till it is.

If I had one, the only thing I might change is some high ratio locking tuners like the fender ones. Drop in and 18-1. Or for a vintage-y vibe, the new tuners on the Performer series**. I think those are 18-1 and should be drop ins as well. I like tuners for some reason.

**ClassicGear is what they're calling them.

4. Mankonis

Mankonis Strat-Talk Member

Player strat is absolutely perfect. Me personally wouldn't buy it, but just because of the subjective reason. Neck is too slim.
    American Pro is the totally perfect guitar though!!!!

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  5. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

If I were going to mod a Player Strat, I’d do 3 and maybe 4 things.

1) Change the volume control to a linear (type B) control for a more even range from 1 to 10. This is my Standard go-to change for all Fender type guitars.

2) 50’s Gibson tone mod. Simple 2 wire change that stops the volume control from affecting the tone. Also a standard change I make to all my electrics.

3) Disconnect the front tone control from the middle pickup and just run it wide open. Adjust middle pickup height accordingly.

4) Maybe change the tone cap. Only if the original is too dark.

6. DeMelo

DeMelo Strat-O-Master

What exactly is the benefit of #3?

7. DeMelo

DeMelo Strat-O-Master

With the upgrades that Fender made to the "standard" Mexican series, now called player series, they are almost as perfect as the American Standard series was for 30 years or so. I wouldn't change anything on one unless I had a particular reason to do it.

Batstrat and Andrew Wasson like this.
  8. Andrew Wasson

Two things.

1) I don’t seem use the tone control on the middle pickup but I do use it on the neck and the bridge.

2) The tone circuit’s frequency centre is altered if it’s loaded by two pickups in parallel (compared to being loaded by one pickup) so removing it from the neck pickup prevents it from being loaded up in parallel in position #4 middle/neck.

DeMelo likes this.
  9. Andrew Wasson

Yep. I agree. It’s pretty much the perfect Strat, right out of the box. I’d still do my thing to it but that doesn’t take away from it being pretty much spot on, right out of the box.

10. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

I rewire a classic SSS with the Armstrong Blender which gives the ability to blend from stock SSS into HSH.
    Wiring only change, no new parts.

11. DeMelo

DeMelo Strat-O-Master

I own two strats, one is an American Standard that I never changed at all, and the other is a '94 Brazilian made Southern Cross series, which already had Fender Fat 50s pickups when I got it, and a previous owner had pretty much messed up the electrics trying to build a blender config, so I threw in an Emerson Custom prewired strat blender kit.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  12. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Senior Stratmaster

Other than having 5 springs and the bridge decked flat I wouldn't change a thing.The pickups sound great and I don't think these guitars need any type of mod.

13. Geddon

Geddon Strat-Talk Member

I always put locking strap pins on any guitar I plan to keep. Also something I noticed a little while back was when sitting and playing my guitars I kind of had to fight against it slipping down my leg as I played. So I thought some sort of grip would help. I came across these grip strips on amazon and they work great. So now I also put one of these on any guitar I play regularly. Here is an image of one on a strat I cut a hole in for quick pickup changes. The corner is cut because it is hard to get it to lay completely flat as it comes. It does kind of bend to whatever shape you adhere it to though.

Attached Files:

14. Raphael256

Raphael256 Strat-Talker

Keep it unchanged, just pickguard if you like

15. axejock

axejock Senior Stratmaster

I don't change anything on my Players! But I have bought a couple of Player loaded pickguards from Stratosphere for transplant into some of my older guitars!! Now that's an upgrade!

fattboyzz likes this.
  16. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Senior Stratmaster

$79.99 for pickups ,pots & switch ,wired an ready is a deal I couldn't pass up ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.