Mojotone kit any good?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Jesse414, Jul 7, 2021.

1. Jesse414

Jesse414 Senior Stratmaster

So now that i have been forced to quit smoking and coffee. I decided to order a kit from mojotone to keep my brain and hands busy doing something that won't damage my heart....unless of course I end up electrocuting myself lol. So what you guys think of mojotone is there stuff ok? I ordered the champ kit without cab,speakers or tubes. I will build a cab and buy speaker and tubes from other locations. Its pretty cheep this way only $260 and some change. I am already second guessing myself thinking I should have went with the tweed princeton. But any way just wondering what you guys thought of mojotone and if anyone has any helpful advice to 1st time builder. Thanks in advance.

2. cpage86

cpage86 Strat-Talker

No experience with the amp kit, but I put a couple Mojotone pots in my G&L ASAT couple years ago, and they are very nice, smooth and have given me no issues.

Good luck with the amp build, sounds like a great project!

StratoMutt and Jesse414 like this.
  3. Nate D

Nate D Most Honored Senior Member

I understand they make really nice kits. Smart move getting a different speaker.

I’d take a champ over a Princeton 100 out of 100 times.

dante1963, StratoMutt and Jesse414 like this.
  4. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Most Honored Senior Member

I built their Studio One: https://www.strat-talk.com/threads/my-mojotone-studioone-amp-build.509447/

▲ ▲ There were several members here who chimed in and provided invaluable assistance.

A superb amp that is not quite like any other I could find. I really love the finished product. Was my first build.

What I did not like:

The turret board terminal placement was sloppy. It did not match the useful wiring diagram in a few spots. I did the best I could with what was provided. It all worked out.

The drilling in the chassis could been better. Did not match the holes for the board standoffs. I stupidly did not check those until I had done a lot of the build done. Check those first!!

The electronic bits were mostly good quality. I found one incorrect resistor after a complete inventory and testing of each part. I got the replacement with no problem.

Their customer support really came through big in the end, but there was a mix up in communication early on that irked me. Was easily fixed.

All in all I'd recommend them.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
    Jesse414 and Nate D like this.
  5. StratoMutt

Oh, congrats on quitting cigs! :thumb: :D

Stratafied and Jesse414 like this.
  6. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

Take your time and ask questions.

Jesse414 likes this.
  7. Chipss36

Chipss36 Strat-O-Master

Yes I think the are good!
    I built a few for others and recommend them.

Also built a deluxe reverb with most of mojos parts, before I started building my own. and use them for transformers. Good company.

Few suggestions.
    have a good solder station.
    have a good dmm.
    Check part values with a meter before you install them. Take one step at a time, Double check the layout, make sure that the part/wire is going to the correct place, then double check, do this, it will work the first time. And be very rewarding.

Trouble shooting it much harder to do than building the amp.
    Again a good solder station is really important, I have worked on 2 diy amps that the builder got everything correct, but had an underpowered solder iron, took awhile to figure this out, happened twice….lol the second amp I saw this on, I just had the builder reflow everything with my hakko. And his amp was up and working.
    Have also fixed a ton of cold solider joints. It’s all pretty much the same issue an underpowered iron.

the difference in the tweed Princeton and the champ is really nothing, both single ended 6v6 and a dual triode.
    A blackface Princeton is different.
    Bet it runs exactly the same transformers. You are building your own cab so you can make it what ever size you wish, and what ever speaker size you wish.

welcome to the rabbit hole…bring cash…

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
    StratoMutt and Jesse414 like this.
  8. Gedster

Gedster Strat-Talker

I’ve built a couple of their kits. A Tweed Champ (bout 10 years ago) and a BF Princeton Reverb last year.

The Champ was a good little kit and a nice little amp, although the crappy quality cloth push back hookup wire that was included is hopeless. If you get it even a little bit too hot making a connection, it gets brittle and tends to snap and I still have issues with that 10 years down the track. I should have sourced some better quality wire.

The Princeton kit was mostly ok, but as someone else mentioned, a couple of components were awry and I also had an octal socket break a pin on me…. Again, probably (a tiny bit) too much heat soldering a connection, but I think it’s just cheap crappy components. It shouldn’t happen. The hookup wire was a little better quality at least. Trannys and metalwork were all good quality.

The real benefit of the Mojotone kits (at least with the BF style kits) is the pre punched chassis and the printed faceplates and backplates, which you can source elsewhere, but add in the postage costs etc, it makes the Mojotone kit pretty affordable.

As suggested, double check component values as they go in and take your time, you’ll be fine. A Current Limiter is also a good idea before you fire it up to test it, as is a Capacitor Drain probe and a chopstick for poking around inside. Valve amp internals will kill you a whole lot quicker than smoking ever could! (Congratulations on that by the way - I smoked for 35 years and stopping was the best thing I ever did).

StratoMutt, Jesse414 and Lionpotato like this.
  9. Stevem

Stevem Senior Stratmaster

Just to keep the facts straight here, Mojotone does not make there own pots and the 1000s of other things they sell, so what brand of the many pots that they sell did you install in your guitar should I want to order them?

Jesse414 likes this.
  10. dbolt

dbolt Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I built the Tweed Deluxe and found it very complete and easy to follow. Wise choice going elsewhere for a speaker tho.

Jesse414 likes this.
  11. StratoMutt

I'm fairly certain they special order from CTS with their own specifications. 7% tolerance for one.

They do make their own pickups. I have a set of their P-90 Quiet Coils. They are the bee's knees.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
    Jesse414 and Chipss36 like this.
  12. Chipss36

Chipss36 Strat-O-Master

A 7% pot is a pretty select pot, being all gold is kinda cool as well.

Many sell selected spec cts for a premium, I am good with paying extra rather than sorting it all out.
    and having many low ohm leftovers.

StratoMutt likes this.
  13. StratoMutt

They are in the StratoMutt. They are not pricey really.

Chipss36 likes this.
  14. StratoMutt

I built a light bulb limiter on the cheap. Better to find if there is a short in the amp you built without damage.

Jesse414 and Gedster like this.
  15. jball85

jball85 Strat-O-Master

Buy a kit with everything included the first go around. It seems you have, so you're doing well. However, I would've gone with the Princeton. Kidding, I'm sure you'll love the Champ. First of many man, first of many.

Jesse414 likes this.
  16. jball85

jball85 Strat-O-Master

I've used CTS and Alpha. I actually prefer the Alpha's, but CTS in my experience will last longer most of the time.

I like the Alpha's because of the torque/feel and they offer more options taper and value wise.

Jesse414 and StratoMutt like this.
  17. StratoMutt

https://tedweber.com/amptechtools/snuffer-stick/

The one I bought and used. Works quite well.

Gedster and Jesse414 like this.
  18. Stratafied

Stratafied Dr. Stratster

Two tuff ones to quit, but everyday it will get easier, hang in there.

Jesse414 likes this.