Join Strat-Talk Today

Mojotone Studio One

Discussion in 'DIY Amp Forum' started by LarsN, Aug 2, 2019.

1. LarsN

LarsN Strat-Talker

Not much to report yet, but my next DIY Amp project is about to begin. This will be the third amplifier kit I've tackled, and it's the one I'm most excited about.

I love that cranked Marshall sound but don't think I'll ever be playing anywhere bigger than my home, so a 50 or 100w head is just too much. The Mojotone Studio One seems to be a great way to get those sounds, without needing hearing protection.

[​IMG]

2. TangerineDog

TangerineDog Senior Stratmaster

Shallow me... first thought: that looks absolutely gorgeous!
    Be sure to post a sound check ;)

Also, how likely, do you reckon, is it for someone like me (adequately adept with a soldering iron and at installing new lamps) to electrocute himself when building a kit like that?

abnormaltoy and Ditchgator like this.
  3. vid1900

vid1900 Senior Stratmaster

If you can solder, you can build an amp kit.

It's 1930s rocket science

93-Strat, StratoMutt and CB91710 like this.
  4. LarsN

LarsN Strat-Talker

Super easy honestly. The Mojotone 5E3 kit (which was my second amp build and posted in this forum) includes a lot more in depth instructions making it a very easy project. The Studio One kit includes a circuit diagram, and a full size rendered drawing of what it should look like, but otherwise no instructions.

If you can read a diagram and solder I'd dive in and build whatever amp you want to play. If not you might consider starting with one of the Level 1 Kits like the Tweed Champ 5F1

@vid1900 is 100% accurate. We're playing around with what was state of the art in the first half of the 20th century.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  5. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

My preference is the Princeton 5F2-A. It's essentially the same as the Champ, but with a tone control, which is a very effective treble control.

6. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Strat-Talker

I will be watching this develop ...check the values of the parts!

Yes, the Studio One is for real. Plenty loud for me - quite dramatic at full volume. SO MUCH gain on tap.

93-Strat and abnormaltoy like this.
  7. LarsN

LarsN Strat-Talker

Well It's assembled. I get ZERO output from the speaker though on either channel.

Voltages measured at the test points are written in blue.
    [​IMG]

vid1900, abnormaltoy and StratoMutt like this.
  8. LarsN

LarsN Strat-Talker

They are all a little bit low, but I noticed the same thing on my tweed, and it sounds fine. I figure none of these are exactly "precision" devices.

9. LarsN

LarsN Strat-Talker

I found it frustrating that the turret board provided didn't have the exact same layout as the drawing. If you look at the left side of the drawing you have the two yellow 22nF caps. next to the 500pF cap, and all those turrets are in a straight line. If you look at the image of my actual board you'll see some of those are drawn up to the middle of the board.

[​IMG]

I also found it frustrating that in at least two places the gap between turrets was wider than the legs of the components intended to bridge them.
    for example the 1.5Kohm resistor and capacitor on the right edge of the board. I ended up soldering an additional leg to the end of the component to make it long enough to bridge the gap.
    [​IMG]

Finally the polarized caps paired with resistors to bridge turret gaps (again like the one on the right above, and the one in the middle of this photo.) should have been the caps with two ends like the yellow models, rather than with both legs sticking out the bottom since they aren't being mounted into a circuit board. That's just poor component selection on Mojotone's part in my opinion.
    [​IMG]

circles likes this.
  10. LarsN

LarsN Strat-Talker

This kit may make for a fantastic amplifier once I've got it working, but as a kit I'm far less impressed with this one than I was the 5E3 I built first.

11. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Strat-Talker

The turret board is not well laid out. Almost as if they had their trainees do the punch-outs.

I had the same trouble with the too short leads. I just improvised.

Your observed voltages were quite similar to mine.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  12. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Strat-Talker

Did you happen to use lead free solder?

13. LarsN

LarsN Strat-Talker

Yeah, I used 2.0% Silver Solder

14. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Strat-Talker

Yeah, I thought ... I could see by the way the solder did not want to stick to the pots. Does not look like rosin core either.

Old timey 60 / 40 rosin core is the stuff to use. I'll venture a guess you have a wonky solder joint or two.

See the way the solder flattened out on the pots and grabbed the ground wire? Those are small blobs of solder.

upload_2019-8-7_19-27-0.png

circles likes this.
  15. LarsN

LarsN Strat-Talker

While I'm waiting for Mojotone to get back to me, I guess I'll put the iron on every joint, get it nice and molten, and put a little more in each one for good measure.

I should order some old school 60/40 rosin core (and by some I mean a box of it.)

16. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Strat-Talker

I'd redo with 60 / 40 - PM sent. ;)

From what I have read, you may need to de-solder some or all of the joints as 60 / 40 and lead free are not compatible.

Someone here should confirm or expand upon that. I've never tried to mix the two.

At the very least get some rosin to sure up the existing joints with the lead free. Even lead free will flow better with rosin.

17. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster Strat-Talk Supporter

No output at all?
    Did you used the channel switching PBC?
    If so disconnected it and check again. Wire the amp without using the switching.

All the best,
    Robin

18. LarsN

LarsN Strat-Talker

No output at all with either channel position. I'm not sure what I would have to move to completely remove the channel switching PCB from the signal path.

It can't be as simple as disconnecting the Shielded gray wire, and two blue wires wouldn't I need to connect the gray wire to somewhere?

19. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Strat-Talker

There is a lot going through the switch PCB. Have no idea why, but it does work quite well once you get the bugs worked out.

Removing it from the circuit for troubleshooting does not seem that easy. That was my first inkling as well. I was wrong.

20. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster Strat-Talk Supporter

The grey one is the clean channel signal.
    The dirty channel signal is coming from the treble pot going into the master volume pot.
    The blue cable from relay PCB going to the 22nF cap is the PI input going into the power tubes (signal input - power section).

All the best,
    Robin

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.