Join Strat-Talk Today

Mojotone Studio One

Discussion in 'DIY Amp Forum' started by LarsN, Aug 2, 2019.

1. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

If you can build one of those, you can build a Helix :D

Seriously... It was not that complex. The instructions are extremely well laid out and everything is very clearly marked and bagged. The kits are very modular in assembly, so you're working on small sections of the boards. The assembly manual is about 1/4" thick if that gives you an idea of how foolproof they tried to make it.
    The complex part is the calibration... I first built a DMM and calibrated that against the school's Simpson, then borrowed the school's signal generator and used both to calibrate the scope.
    I'm sure it's long gone out of calibration after 40+ years, but it's fine for empirical measurements... do I have signal or do I not? Is this signal bigger or smaller than that one? Is the polarity reversed?
    The last time I used it was probably about 15 years ago on a problem with a traffic signal controller.

Funny thing is, my buddy's dad built a Heathkit color TV. After he completed it, he took it to the Heath store in Anaheim to have it aligned. The staff was floored... they said that his was the first they had ever seen successfully completed without multiple trips into the store.

StratoMutt likes this.
  2. LarsN

LarsN Strat-Talker

My dad gave me all of his test equipment on my last trip up north... I came home with the following:
    • BK Precision Universal Counter
    • BK Precision Sweep Function Generator
    • BK Precision Signal Generator
    • BK Precision Oscilloscope
    All of them are old, but for what I'd like to use them for I think they'll work just fine. I'm looking forward to my probes arriving so I can do things like.... put a pure sine wave into the input side of a tube screamer, put the Scope on the output side and SEE what changes are made to the wave as it goes through.

Same thing with the Studio One. I want to be able to visualize the distortion... especially when I find a setting I like :)

CB91710 and StratoMutt like this.
  3. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Strat-Talker

Let your ears do the deciding! Have a great time with the amp!

4. LarsN

LarsN Strat-Talker

So, I think one of the best things to come out of my troubleshooting adventure, is if I ever decide to add The Mojotone FX Loop board to my Studio One amp... I know exactly where the preamps meet the power amp on the board.

I don't know if I'll do that or not, but the thought has crossed my mind. I kind of wonder what it would take to add a line level out for recording as well. I don't think that should be so hard. I think I could adjust the Ext. Cab jack for that purpose.

Robins and StratoMutt like this.
  5. CB91710

Interesting you should mention the fx loop board.
    I'm not sure how well it would work post-master on the gain channel. Their examples have it between the treble and master pots on the Marshall circuit, and just ahead of the .22 coupling cap on the non-master.
    Probably not a lot of difference since the levels and impedance should be comparable at the switching board.

6. LarsN

LarsN Strat-Talker

7. CB91710

Sounds awesome!

8. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster Strat-Talk Supporter

Thank you for sharing the sound. Great clean tone.
    About the FX loop, don´t forget that loop is totally transistor driven. But it really is a good option for a transparent loop. You would put silicon stuff(transistor) pedals into the loop anyway.
    You could use a tube loop like in the ENGL amps - great stuff, you can dial them from series to parallel with a turn of a pot.
    But that would add another tube into your amp and you can´t buy such an FX loop and you would have to build your own.
    There´s PCB FX loop available at TubeTown, Germany using small mini tubes but again, the Mojotone is the exact loop Friedman is using in all his amps. Dave knows why he is using it.

All the best,
    Robin

LarsN likes this.
  9. LarsN

LarsN Strat-Talker

I'm working on getting my DAW and Interface routing configured properly. If I manage to do so, I should be able to play some previously recorded DI samples by people who can actually play the guitar and re-amp them through the Studio One. Then record amp + cab.

I just need more coffee to figure out all the knobs to get there, and it's too late tonight to be drinking coffee.

Perhaps tomorrow.

StratoMutt and Robins like this.
  10. LarsN

LarsN Strat-Talker

Here are a couple of clips I played through the clean channel on the Studio One tonight.
    I've only been playing the guitar for about three months at this point, and my guitar instructor JUST gave me these songs on Monday. Jimi I'm not unfortunately.

Signal chain for those into this sort of thing:

Solar Guitars A2.6W - Neck Humbucker pickup.
    Mojotone Studio One - Clean channel
    Shure SM-57 into Scarlett 4i4 Gen3
    Recorded in Logic Pro X.

Robins and CB91710 like this.
  11. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster Strat-Talk Supporter

Great samples but what about the crunch and screaming overdrive tones?
    I know and sorry for asking a lot. The amp has a great and direct tone and I can hear it´s potential but you have to unleash the fury \m/

Life is good,
    Robin

12. LarsN

LarsN Strat-Talker

I'm going to need a friend to come play, or a good DI track for OD/Lead tones. I simply lack the skill to really do it justice. That might happen this weekend, we'll see.

Robins likes this.
  13. LarsN

LarsN Strat-Talker

I suspect with a bit more work playing around with settings this could be even better.
    A friend of mine provided a DI track that I re-amped with the Studio One on the lead channel for y'all.

Robins and CB91710 like this.
  14. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

Cool, you can't tell that's not a big amp.

LarsN likes this.
  15. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

This is getting under my skin...
    Been
    Dreaming solder....
    Dreaming bread boards....
    Dreaming I have the money...
    Dreaming I set the guest room alight...

Gotta tell ya...
    Thank you
    Sincerely...
    My fantasies have migrated from
    29 year old Golf widows

LarsN and Triple Jim like this.
  16. LarsN

LarsN Strat-Talker

It really does sound huge in the room. I believe that's a big part of why Mojotone built the 1 Watt amp. To get that sound out of a JCM800 or Dual Rectifier you would have to crank it most of the way up, at which point being within two counties of it indoors hurts. :)

Then again i might just be getting old... :)

Robins likes this.
  17. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

Maybe, but with age often comes wisdom. I like half a watt or less when I'm playing.

18. LarsN

LarsN Strat-Talker

For a tube amp at home. If you wanted to buy something rather than build it, I really think the Blackstar HT-1 and HT-5 are where it's at.

Although really a Boss Katana 50 is tough to beat, especially for the price.

19. CB91710

I really like my Fly-3, but what I don't like about Blackstar is (on the smaller amps) they replace the normal tone controls with the ISF control.
    It's convenient for a little bedroom amp, but not as versatile as would be needed for recording.
    They do this on the HT-1... the HT-5 is discontinued, they currently step from the HT-1 to the HT-20.

20. LarsN

LarsN Strat-Talker

I bought the HT.40 MK.II before I started building amplifiers. With the 4w mode, it works great. It's just quite a bit more expensive than the HT-5 would have been.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.