Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Monitor or Amp?

Discussion in 'Home Recording Studio' started by jojosmith, Nov 9, 2017.

1. jojosmith

jojosmith Strat-Talker

Nov 4, 2014
    UK
    Was playing at home last night and my amp doesn't sound right. It's a Roland Micro Cube practice amp, and I've abused it for around 10 years. Not sure whether to buy another amp or some speakers.:confused:

I'm moving towards speakers. I only ever play at home or around friends houses/garages. At home I lpay plugged in to the laptop mainly and use Presonus. I also generally wear headphones. If ever I tried to play through the laptop into the amp it never sounded right, hence why I am thinking of monitor speakers. I've only ever owned amps and it seems weird not to have one, but for me i'm not sure if it is essential.

Any suggestions? My budget is only around £150.

2. TheDuck

TheDuck Senior Stratmaster

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    I assume you are using software amp sims, so you'll want to avoid using an amp in you can.
    You can use a powered speaker like the Tech21, or a modeling amp.

I use JBL LSR305 monitors. They sound great, but aren't nearly loud enough for a jam, even with a whisper quiet drummer. To give you an idea of their volume, my Logitech 2.1 computer speakers are much louder. Though the monitors clarity is superb, they are meant for reference monitoring, not volume.

There's a few modeling amps that will be cost effective and loud enough for a jam. They will also sound far better than the sims in Presonus.
    Boss Katana, and Fender Mustang (old version, not GT) would be my first choices.

3. TheDuck

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    @jojosmith - Yea, thats the little one, I had one for a while. Sounded great when direct recording, but its speaker is the weak link. It just doesnt sound good turned up.
    If you plan on jamming with a drummer, get the Mustang III V2

Its rated at 100W, though it can still sound great at "bedroom" volumes. It also has a good speaker and an effects loop, and XLR outs for connecting to a console. If you are ever so inclined.
    it also has an LCD screen, so you dont need to have it connected to a computer to "deep edit" the presets.

4. jojosmith

jojosmith Strat-Talker

Nov 4, 2014
    UK
    Thanks @TheDuck I think I will go for Mustang. Might go for the little one as it's cheaper and mainly used at home. The drummer that I play with (on rare occasion) has an electronic drum kit he uses so not a problem volume wise.

How do you think the amp would sound (not taking into account my sh!tty playing:))when plugged in to my Audiobox and Studio One?

TheDuck likes this.

5. TheDuck

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    You wont need the Audiobox interface. Run the M1 direct via USB into your computer.
    The speaker is the amps weak point, so I think the recorded sounds I got were much better than the sounds the amp produced through its speaker.

You'll want to get Fender FUSE software (free) to be able to edit your presets. The M1 doesnt have all the physical controls needed for editing, though the software does.

I use Pro Tools, so I am not familiar with Studio One.
    @Dadocaster is a Studio One user, I'm sure he would answer any questions you might have about it.

6. nigelr

nigelr Strat-O-Master

Aug 28, 2014
    Switzerland
    Any sounds in Studio One will come from your amp, so get the sound that you want and you'll be fine. I've used Studio One with all sorts of amps over the years and the software is never the problem. Set the sound you want on the amp, get a decent level into Studio one and away you go.

7. jojosmith

jojosmith Strat-Talker

Nov 4, 2014
    UK

8. jojosmith

jojosmith Strat-Talker

Nov 4, 2014
    UK
    Things move slowly around here...finally bought the amp @TheDuck .Got the mustang I V2. I am redecorating and relaying all the downstairs flooring and skirting. Got 14 people stayinghere over Christmas for around 4 days so under a bit of pressure. The amp could be a serious distraction. If i can resist I'm not going to play until I've finished all the work - I reckon 2 more weekends. Or maybe...;)

Again thanks for the advice.

TheDuck likes this.