Monoprice indio guitars

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Kingmarc1982, Sep 10, 2021.

1. Kingmarc1982

Kingmarc1982 Strat-Talker

These things are like 100 bucks. I think I am going to get one! I don’t think there are bad guitars just bad setups. Basswood body. Rosewood fretboard and maple neck. Ceramic pickups. How bad can it be?
    I think it will be fun to see how great I can get this guitar to be. Not set in the style yet. I’m thinking an offset or a telecaster. Already have a strat. Butttttt could get the Strat because they really are a lot of fun to work on. Also. The monoprice tube amp. I’ve heard great things. And for the price. Why not? Celestion speaker Tubes. Sounds good to me!

2. MrClint

MrClint Strat-Talker

Go for it. I'm in pretty deep on the Monoprice gear. The 15W tube amp has worked out really well for me, I'm also happy with the DLX tele and Cherry Burst DLX ash strat. The guitars I've bought so far were setup and highly playable right out of the box.

3. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

I got an Indio Cal Dlx Strat for 182, correction...196 delivered. bucks delivered to my door, incl. a decent gig bag. (after seeing a clip of Clint playing one).

Ash body, Wilkinson trem. setup fine right out of the box. ABS nut but cut right. No reason to replace it. Pickups sound fine. Amazing what you can get for under $200. (These were 229, but I hit a sale).

If I have any complaint it's a bit heavy at over 10lbs, likely due to the thick body....but otherwise...playable right outta the box.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
  4. mikej89

mikej89 Senior Stratmaster

5. Stratafied

Stratafied Dr. Stratster

I’m a Monoprice fan, I have a stage right amp. These products are the same as Harley Benton.

simoncroft, 3bolt79, CB91710 and 2 others like this.
  6. MrClint

MrClint Strat-Talker

The 15W Monoprice stage right is a rebranded Laney amp.

3bolt79 likes this.
  7. Kingmarc1982

Kingmarc1982 Strat-Talker

Well I just ordered monoprice looper pedal and fuzz pedal. Reviews looked solid and loved the price. Can’t wait!!

3bolt79 likes this.
  8. Dougeryb

Dougeryb Strat-O-Master

I've never played one but:

3bolt79 and fattboyzz like this.
  9. Exhead

Exhead Strat-Tinkerer Gold Supporting Member

If you ever see one of the Indio Helix models anywhere snatch it they are very nice guitars.

3bolt79 and Kingmarc1982 like this.
  10. Wound_Up

Wound_Up CUSTOM USER TITLE Silver Member

They're not all $100. I paid $250 for my Indio 66 DLX Plus Goldtop and it's phenomenal. Setup was perfect out of the box. Frets level and ends rounded and polished. Alnico 5 pickups. 7.7 lbs. Full mahogany body with over 1/2" thick maple cap. It's a great guitar.

3bolt79 and Exhead like this.
  11. Wound_Up

They're actually both rebranded Laneys. It's a rebranded Laney Cub 12R. Monoprice had it, then HB licensed it out and started selling them with their name on them, too.

That's the only thing they have that's the same as HB. Everything else they sell is different from anything HB sells. So I guess it'd be more like "this product" lol

I intend on buying their $249 335 clone next. If. You think their $100 guitars are fine, you should try their top of the line guitars. Their 335s have apparently been selling so well they just added 4 more colors as well as classic red and a black burst over a flame top

3bolt79, Exhead and Stratafied like this.
  12. Stonetone

Stonetone Most Honored Senior Member

[​IMG]

3bolt79 and Exhead like this.
  13. Wound_Up

And they are. Mine was absolutely perfect. Needed nothing out of the box except tuned up and played. Even, came with brand new D'addario 9's on it. My 15w combo came with JJ Tubes, as well.

Stonetone likes this.
  14. Stonetone

Stonetone Most Honored Senior Member

Did it come with a KFC Bucket ? :D:D:D

muttonbuster likes this.
  15. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Senior Stratmaster

Its all about the right price....100 bucks or lower is a good price to get a strat copy from the land of fake fighting and real viruses.You can change a couple of things...dial in some others and you can have as good a strat as pretty much anything out there....

16. Mikeylefty

Mikeylefty Be Kind Silver Member

If you can scrap together some more money you could buy a Fender Affinity or Sq. Classic Vibe and have less to fix or replace; and a strat shaped headstock!

3bolt79 and fattboyzz like this.
  17. Boubou

Boubou Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Meh.
    First, with the shipping to Canada, the price of a guitar is doubled what you guys pay for.
    Second, depends where you want your money to go. If you cant afford the high prices, fine. For me i will keep buying the originals, not the copies. Original is what paid for my working life and retirement so......

18. Bob Spumoni

Bob Spumoni Senior Stratmaster

The Monoprice 5w Stage Right amp is remarkably good. A great circuit and even a surprisingly good speaker. That and an old Roland Cube 30 are my default practice amps.

19. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

This reminded me that I wanted to pull my Cal DLX apart. Only reason I didn't out of the box was it was set up and played so well, but I'm really curious about the pots.

Okay..so full sized pots and same PCB type 5 way. Not much slack in the ground wires so hard to see, but sure the pots are no-names.

Pups are Alnico V's and sound good slightly higher than vintage with a slightly hotter bridge, (6.2, 6.6, 7.0). Surprised to see it's got a swimming pool rout already? It's a solid one piece ash body so why's it so damn heavy? Not much I can do there, if anything, for a little weight relief. I'm open to suggestions if anyone has any.

The tuners on it are better than these and the trem is a 2 point Wilkinson with a decent block, although it's black so I can't judge the quality of the metal it's not as thin as the one in the vid.

I think the CAL IDX in the cherry burst is normally $229 but if you can pick it up on sale it'd be a little less than twice that $100 guitar and you could do a few things, but just for a backup you don't really need to. It plays and sounds fine. And the setup out of the box was great. Even the float was only a few cents off.

It's also got a slightly flatter radius at 13.75", C profile neck (.90-.94), and rosewood board on nice piece of maple.

Clint posted a video awhile back that you can pull up and hear it.

MrClint likes this.
  20. MrClint

MrClint Strat-Talker

The out of the box maiden voyage of my cherry burst DLX: