Monoprice indio guitars

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Kingmarc1982, Sep 10, 2021.

1. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

Is the weight on yours high Clint?

2. soulman969

soulman969 Most Honored Senior Member

In at least some cases bad enough for a friend of mine to have returned two of the three they sent him. The last one was mostly salvageable with some effort.

My opinion is this. It's a $100 guitar and that's what you get. A $100 guitar.

Ebidis and Chipss36 like this.
  3. MrClint

MrClint Strat-Talker

Haven't weighed it to be honest. It's got some heft. Definitely my heaviest guitar.

4. MrClint

MrClint Strat-Talker

You make a good point. Here on the West coast at least, the Monoprice return policy is very good.

soulman969 likes this.
  5. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

I'd be curious to know if you get around to it sometime.

6. MrClint

MrClint Strat-Talker

OK, no worries. Mine weighed in at 9.2 lbs, with wiggle stick, using my seldom used (by me) bathroom scale. It's heavy enough to function as a sledge hammer in a pinch. LOL
    [​IMG]

7. soulman969

soulman969 Most Honored Senior Member

My buddy had no problem returning them for another 'til we finally got one where everything lined up correctly and it could be set up properly. Monoprice was very accommodating which kinda says they admit their QC is somewhat hit or miss.

If you get a decently built one they're good enough for their price to be made playable.

MrClint likes this.
  8. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

Damn..that's lighter than mine by a pound at least. Oh well..reading soulman's posts I think I'll be happy with a heavy one with zero issues and set up right. Thanks.

MrClint likes this.
  9. MrClint

MrClint Strat-Talker

All this strat talk has me practicing with mine this weekend. Hopefully a new video will shake out. :)

Kingmarc1982 likes this.
  10. oyobass

oyobass Strat-Talk Member

Just ordered a pair of blue burst SSS strats, hopefully I have no problems with either of them, since it appears I got the last 2 until Oct 8 restock.

Of course I'll do a full set up to see if I need to do a fret level or just return it.

I got one for me and one for my granddaughter. The neck on her FirstAct guitar is too wide for a beginner, although it is set up well. Out of all my guitars, she prefers my SX strat, so hopefully this will work for her.

I'll eventually put a split-rail single-sized humbucker in the bridge for her, since she loves AC/DC's sound, but it should work ok for her until then.

At 13 years old and already 6' tall, she might grow into the FirstAct, but a strat is so much cooler, better looking and more ergonomic. She is already taller than me, but her hands aren't as big, to the new guitar should be helpful.

11. oyobass

The guitars arrived when we were out at the state fair. Afterwards, when we were pulling into the driveway, I asked my granddaughter if she could help me out by doing a chore for me. She looked dubious, but went along with it to humor grandpa, lol. When we got inside, I handed her a pocket knife and told her to pick a box and open it. Her confused look quickly turned to happiness the farther along she got with her "chore".
    The guitars are as perfectly set up as any I have received out of the box, better than the vast majority. The nut on each, despite having minor rough edges had the string depth cut expertly. Intonation was fairly close, but changed anyway, once I put a fresh set of Super Slinkies on it.
    Attached are a few shots of my guitar and the kiddo unboxing hers. I had to send the granddaughter home with her guitar before I could set it up much, besides tuning it up and stretching the strings out. When she comes over next we'll have a project to work on together.:) PXL_20210919_023647662.jpg PXL_20210922_172313376.PORTRAIT~2.jpg PXL_20210922_172541056.PORTRAIT.jpg

Caedarn, Wound_Up, vid1900 and 7 others like this.
  12. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

Nice to hear that they arrived as well setup as the one I got.

You didn't say, but it looks from the pics like the fit and finish are also up to par, which was also my experience.

Great color!... Wanted to ask, how was the weight? And what type of bridge is that? As stated earlier in the thread mine was a bit heavy and had a Wilkinson but that looks a bit different. Not that that would matter if I was that young and 6"! I'm sure it's well within tolerances.

I'm looking forward to hearing your, and her, comments on how they play and sound.

13. oyobass

The fit and finish are quite good. The setup actually disappointed me, in that it left me very little to do. I enjoy turning a sow's ear into a silk purse. The Indios have been very silky to start with.

The trem is the typical cheap import style, with a block just big enough to function, but it seems to function well. It has cast saddles, but again, very functional. The bridge came decked, which is something new for me, having had only Floyds and Bigsbys in my past. I had thought the 6 screw bridges were maybe better than Bigsbys, but vastly inferior to a Floyd, (just like I used to ignorantly think single coils were inferior to humbuckers). Real world experience trumps all, as they say.
    A little lip balm on the string trees and nut and you can come back to pitch very well. You can also tune to drop D without throwing the other strings out of tune, something that a Floyd or Bigsby couldn't dream of.
    Indio Trem.jpg

Playability is top notch. I tightened the truss rod about a quarter turn, reducing the relief to a little more than a sheet of paper worth, (I was a wanna-be shredder in the '80s :). I could go lower, but not without impacting the guitar's tone negatively/ choking out its dynamics.

Action at 12th.jpg

Sound wise, cheap ceramic pickups sound like exactly that. The ceramics in my SX hss/Floyd Strat are much better than these. I hadn't felt a need to change out those, but I think I'll order a set of Pale Ale pups from Bootstrap for the Indio.

To say I'm happy with this guitar would be an understatement. Along with my NUX MG-30 modeler, it has been one of the best music bang for the buck investments since I got my $150 SX 6-string Jazz bass from Rondo Music many years ago.

14. rockon1

rockon1 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

15. rockon1

rockon1 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

the finishes on cheap guitars has never been better imo.

105427250_10217842412114879_2543053344405702030_o.jpg

Miotch, Bob Spumoni, Exhead and 2 others like this.
  16. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

All that pretty much mirrors my experience.

I took a look at those on the Monoprice site after your post yesterday and couldn't believe they were only $100. I got a CALI DLX which typically lists for $229, on sale, $196 to my door. I think the added cost is reflected in the Wilkinson trem and Alnico V pickups mostly...maybe a little for the ash.

I originally purchased it thinking it would be a good platform for polishing skills...fret leveling and such...and as a "testcaster" for pickup swaps and other mods, that I could use without fear of losing much if it ended up FUBAR,

But it was just too serviceable a guitar to do any of that out of the box...so I get your disappointment.

But hey...it's a happy sort of disappointment. I'll find something else to suit that purpose, play with this as is until I run across a young person who needs a bit of direction and/or encouragement and gift it to them.

Wound_Up and oyobass like this.
  17. Exhead

Exhead Strat-Tinkerer Gold Supporting Member

I have one that I will be working on soon as it has issues but I got it almost for free. Cali Blue like the one pictured in this thread.

oyobass and Baelzebub like this.
  18. oyobass

I forgot to mention the weight- Nothing exact, but it's lighter than my les paul copies, definitely lighter than my boat anchor SX "alder" strat. A buddy picked the Indio up and called it light, but he's a Les Paul player. I'd guess between 7.5 and 9 pounds.

Not very specific, I'm sorry... Next time I see the scales AND I remember to use them, I'll let you know :rolleyes:

Baelzebub likes this.
  19. Wound_Up

Wound_Up CUSTOM USER TITLE Silver Member

My Indio is phenomenal. Out of the box, it needed nothing but tuned up and played. Action was perfect. Relief was right on spec. Fret ends were rounded and polished so there was no pointy bits. Intonated perfectly. Even came with D'addario 9s on it.

TBH, it was set up so well that I left the D'addario strings on it and played it that until they were well past dead lol. I didn't want to change strings for fear of messing up the setup lol. It all, worked out though. New strings didn't affect it at all. I absolutely love my Indio DLX Plus Goldtop. It came with alnico 5's and full size Alpha pots. Rosewood fretboard. Weighs in at a very light 7.7 lbs. It couldn't be any better, TBH.

I was this close ~~> <~~~ to buying a white Cali Classic for $99 tonight but I didn't. Their black burst flame Boardwalk(335 clone) is on sale for $200, also. They're both still in my cart. I want one of each but I want a sweet Epiphone Les Paul more, I think.

fb1af4b6-fc9d-4e33-8693-d471adc35196.jpg

Here's that Boardwalk. I wonder if that headstock is specific to that guitar or if they'll start putting it on the 66 Classic and DLX Plus, also.

Screenshot_20210924-210714_Walmart.jpg Screenshot_20210924-210708_Walmart.jpg Screenshot_20210924-210733_Walmart.jpg Screenshot_20210924-210725_Walmart.jpg

I've tried to ask Baelzebub about his but I never get an answer.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
    oyobass likes this.
  20. Wound_Up

Wound_Up CUSTOM USER TITLE Silver Member

Nice! I just realized how narrow the 12th fret dots are on that neck. You don't see that on import guitars normally. They're usually spaced pretty close to the edges. Wow. I thought they looked pretty close in Monoprice's stock pics and your pic confirms that they are quite narrow compared to anything but Fenders I think.

oyobass likes this.