Monoprice indio guitars

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Kingmarc1982, Sep 10, 2021.

1. oyobass

oyobass Strat-Talk Member

Y'know, I never even noticed that difference in the spacing of the 12th fret dots. Interesting, I learn something new every day!

2. Bob Spumoni

Bob Spumoni Senior Stratmaster

There are planty of $100 guitars that get you a $300 instrument, plenty of $500 guitars that get you a wall hanging.

My $169 Grote, e.g., is about a $500 instrument. My ol' $100 (20+ yrs ago) Epi Lp Jr. is d---d near priceless.

3. Bob Spumoni

Heh. Those alder sx's have some kind of special relationship with gravity, don't they?

oyobass likes this.
  4. Bob Spumoni

I love cheap guitars. I'll have to say, though, that that is one buttugly logo they've got going on there.

oyobass likes this.
  5. oyobass

I kind of agree, but it is a huge improvement over the Monoprice logo they used to use...

Bob Spumoni likes this.
  6. oyobass

Yup. So dense that not even light escapes.

A black hole Strat. ;)

Thrup'ny Bit and Bob Spumoni like this.
  7. oyobass

Black hole Strat,
    won't you come,
    and crush away my spine,
    Black hole Strat,
    Won't you come,
    Won't you come?

Miotch likes this.
  8. Wound_Up

Wound_Up CUSTOM USER TITLE Silver Member

Doesn't bother me. I rarely even look at my headstocks. Reminds me of headstock snobs that think every guitar should have "an open book headstock". Come on. Seriously? Do you sit there and stare at the headstock while you play? Who cares if it's not an open book? I rarely even look at mine. Not enough to give a damn, that's for sure. And I play in my bedroom. So nobody'll be seeing it any time soon anyway.

9. Wound_Up

Wound_Up CUSTOM USER TITLE Silver Member

Can confirm. My $249 Indio would easily pass for a $500 guitar, IMO. MSRP is like $599 anyway.

10. oyobass

I decided to work on the string slots at the nut, they could be just a fraction deeper without causing problems. I like to cut them really close to the maximum depth I can get away with, since I find it affects playability intonation and feel at least as much as any other factor, especially if the rest of the setup is pretty well sorted.

11. oyobass

782301424132545brnf.jpg
    This was an improvement after the they were putting the whole Monoprice name on the headstock. It has been a steady improvement.
    I don't have any problem with the Indio logo, to tell the truth. It's different, but that just makes it better, IMHO.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
  12. oyobass

Feedback from the kiddo may take a little while. She was supposed to be cleaning her room and instead was caught playing guitar, (reminds me of a younger oyobass many years ago). The guitar was taken away temporarily until she can keep up with what she is supposed to do.

On the one hand, I wish she could stay out of trouble, on the other, I'm proud she is following in grandpa's now ancient footsteps.

I recall being grounded for an entire summer break until I cleaned my room. That was the fastest my guitar playing advanced up to that point, since my parents didn't take my guitar away. Got my room cleaned up quick before school started in September.

I kinda wish I was confined to the house for 3 months again with a guitar, (Didn't happen during Covid- essential worker here). Ain't gonna happen, because adulting.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.