More info on Korean Squiers any help appreciated please

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by balston11, Jan 2, 2021.

1. balston11

balston11 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I have added info on the mid 90s standard strats to my web pages. I could really do with our experts here having a look and clarifying or expanding on the info there the page is
    https://www.alston-family.co.uk/MIK/sqstrat.php
    From the heading Mid 90s a return to quality onwards although info or comment on any part of the page or any other pages is welcome too.

rafasounds and macoshark like this.
  2. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member

Thanks for this installment!

In the par. beginning with despite, there's an extra space/ typo (built by--Young).

Is it worth commenting further about the die cast Gotoh tuners in terms of lasting quality, or holding tune? I'm curious about that and have only demo'd them briefly.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
  3. balston11

Thanks I have re-written that paragraph as it didn't read right anyway but can't see the double space.
    The tuners is outside the scope of my site but might be worth you asking about in a new thread. You will get lots of opinions I'm sure.

Namelyguitar likes this.
  4. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

The ones on my friends pair of '89 Korean Strats were still fine after 30 years, they were his gigging guitars.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    Namelyguitar likes this.
  5. White Dog

White Dog Strat-Talker

Only Korean made guitar I have is a 1985 Harmony H80T Strat copy I purchased new. Still going strong today. Have replaced the string nut and knobs...plastic didn't age well and became brittle.

6. balston11

Roccobagadonuts from the Squier forum who knows more about Korean Fenders/Squiers than anyone I know has clarified some bits the site has been updated accordingly if anyone is interested.

macoshark likes this.
  7. macoshark

macoshark Senior Stratmaster

Good job, thanks

8. stratocarlster

stratocarlster Most Honored Senior Member

I always thought the logo on my plywood bodied S10 was gold, though having a closer look maybe it's an aged silver.

PXL_20210107_155823438.NIGHT.jpg

Viking likes this.
  9. stratocarlster

stratocarlster Most Honored Senior Member

Cruel, but fair I guess. It's true the S10 has pretty crappy hardware and electronics (though maybe no worse than an entry level MIJ) and a plywood body (though that doesn't stop mine from having a lovely resonance). The neck however is a delight. , Really well made with good quality rosewood board, a lovely tint to the maple, 42mm nut, and nice mid-C profile (very much akin to an American Std). When I bought mine 5 years ago, the frets were almost totally worn out. Somebody had played the snot out of it and it's easy to see why.

balston11 and Viking like this.
  10. l88vette

l88vette Strat-Talker

I have an'89 E9 Squier II with what to me is one of the nicest maple necks I've ever played. Korean necks were among the best and compare well to any.

stratocarlster likes this.