Join Strat-Talk Today

More Monkey Business

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Monkeyboy, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

These are pics of jewelry I made prior to cleaning my act up, prior to getting into the
    die making that I've been at for 30+ years. The squash blossom necklace dates back to 10th grade.
    I made it at home , with the help of tools and skills learned in ...machine shop:D:thumb:. It got me right into the jewelry making class, no questions asked :cool:
    pearl  flower bracelet.jpg
    Also a bracelet:
    spiky bracelet.jpg

necklace.jpg

sb necklace.jpg

jvin248, duzie, Stratbats and 12 others like this.
  2. AncientAx

AncientAx Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Mad skills Monkey !!!!

BallisticSquid and Monkeyboy like this.
  3. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

wow!

Monkeyboy likes this.
  4. ukoldgit

ukoldgit Senior Stratmaster

Whoop Whoop:thumb:
    [​IMG]

Monkeyboy likes this.
  5. Silvercrow

Silvercrow Senior Stratmaster

GOOD LORD! EXCELLENT pieces MB! I'd proudly purchase any of those and present them to my wife as a present!! IF you ever think of going into the biz- please PM me. Seriously, my wife LOVES sterling (and almost any kind of jewelry) and for 28 years and counting I seek out unique and one-of-a-kind pieces for her collection. She waers them all! (not all at once...LOL)

Thanks for sharing!

It NEVER fails to amaze me the talents and giftedness of so many of our members, both tangible and intellectual! What a COOL place this is!

Brian

6. Bodean

Bodean Just A Simple Man Strat-Talk Supporter

7. Monkeyboy

8. Bodean

Bodean Just A Simple Man Strat-Talk Supporter

Lovnmesomestrat likes this.
  9. Monkeyboy

Aw shucks :cool:

So....jewelry making these days (since 1987 when I started the die making biz) is strictly for my wife , and sometimes curiosity.
    I almost sold the silver necklace I posted pics of last week, but she decided she wanted to keep it.

But I'll tell you what.... since she doesn't wear bracelets ….and I like making them.... I will keep a back
    burner on in my brain. I got burned out working for The Man making semi-mass production pieces, and
    so now everything would be one-of-a-kind. Not cheap.

What about these ?
    I made these as experiments earlier this year, and they'd never do more than sit
    here looking cool. I'd let them go. It's 2 bracelets , sterling , made from twisted and roll-flattened wire

twist b pair.jpg twisty best b.jpg twist b 3.jpg

10. Bob Spumoni

Bob Spumoni Strat-Talker

It's uplifting to come across someone with legit genius. Reminds me of this guy, the value of whose stuff is skyrocketing:

Newspaper article about Edgar Thomas Cullen Fish
    Wellsboro Gazette, 4 December 1975, p.12
    ONLY HALF AS OLD by W. S. Taylor
    There lives a man in Wellsboro who will reach the still venerable age of 100 years on December 8, 1975. Incredible when you think about it, but he has seen the passing of just over half the history of his country to date. You and I have seen such wonders in our time that even men walking on the surface of the moon seems to hold little awe for us. But how many remain who remember the first demonstration of a working television set in 1929, or the first commercial radio broadcast in 1920, or radio’s invention in 1895. Who recalls the advent of the telephone in 1876? Well, he can’t remember that either, but he was around. Learning to walk and talk and being spoiled by Ma and Pa. He saw the transition from the horse to the horseless carriage, from balloon to jet, from washboard to automatic washer, from clothes pins, ropes and poles to dryer, from cotton, wool and silk to nylon and dacron, from abacus to pocket calculator, from kerosene lamp the fluorescent, from “calm yourself, sir” to “cool it, baby”. He has seen his country through three major wars, a “police action” and an eleven-year-long “military involvement.” This man is Mr. E. T. C. Fish, and he currently resides at the Green Home on Central Avenue. He was born and raised in a small bungalow on Broad Street in Tioga, the only boy of six children. For over sixty years in the workshop-kitchen of that home, he maintained a national reputation for his beautiful craftsmanship in hand-hammered brass. The art was self-taught through long years of hard work standing at the narrow workbench before the window. At times during his productive life, he was commissioned to produce special items such as a pair of large altar vases for a cathedral in London, England, perhaps his most ambitious project. The products of his craft numbered in the thousands, candlesticks, napkin rings, trays, dinner bells, and candelabra. Letter openers, fruit bowls, ashtrays and ingenious pivoted candlesticks that double as wall sconces. These and many others all of his own design. Although self-employed, his discipline was such that he worked an eight-hour day, six days a week, resting on the Sabbath, Sunday, according to his Episcopal upbringing. Today, the products of his hands are scattered all over the world in the possession of customers who often traveled hundreds of miles each year to see his latest display and purchase another unique piece. All of his work day was not always devoted to his brass work. He was an excellent watch, clock and jewelry repairman, also self-taught, and he frequently made critical cogs or escapement parts by hand. In addition, he was a highly skilled furniture refinisher and always in the summer had one of the largest and best-tended and most productive vegetable gardens in town. Over the years, a reputation as a pretty fair “Yankee horse trader” was earned by Mr. Fish who said he would never take unfair advantage of another man but was not averse to allowing a “sharpy” to take advantage of him. In this manner, he says, he was able to acquire several of the beautiful antiques with which his home was furnished. His productive years ended at ninety when he was hit hard by one of the exotic flus of recent years. His strength to work was sapped and never returned, although his strength of character and spirit has never faltered. He remains mentally sharp and active, in spite of failing eyesight and hearing, and has a deep affection for people. His greatest pleasure today is in conversation, and he still listens attentively, a habit acquired through a lifetime of interest in current events and his state and nation coupled with a readiness to learn from his peers. But he can tell such tales of days past and his own life, gleaned from a phenomenal memory, as to hold a listener almost spellbound. His reminiscences are most often filled with humorous incidents, as his wit was always, and remains today, a strong feature of his personality. Asked how he managed to live to such and age, Ed is most likely to attribute it to chewing tobacco (which he doesn’t actually chew but just holds in his mouth). He admits to no real logic to support the theory, but says if you don’t try it you’ll never know. The life and times of Edgar Thomas Cullen Fish are certainly worthy of compilation in at least one good-sized volume, but such will probably never happen. The stories of friends, experiences and events of his life have for years been of particular fascination to this writer and he is their only available source. If you should drop in to visit him, be sure to ask him to tell you something of his experiences in the mountains of Tennessee, something of the escaped murderer perhaps, or of the man who was shot dead while seated next to him on the front porch of the commissary. He’ll enjoy the telling, and you will enjoy the listening. Next year we will celebrate the bicentennial anniversary of the birth of the United States of America, and on December 8th of this year wouldn’t it be nice to celebrate the centennial anniversary of the birth of E. T. C. Fish? He’s only half as old.

Monkeyboy likes this.
  11. Monkeyboy

Finished Lotus Bracelet One.jpg

Landscape Bracelet 2.jpg
    Also, I have this very unique design thing . Even though I made and sold a few dozen dies for people to make similar pieces if they wanted to, I haven't seen any if they did. The components are not silver, and the dies I made these parts with are gone, but I could put a silver back plate on this unfinished one, instead of the copper back plate it's shown with . Many hundred dollars.
    The finished one is mine for posterity or whatever.

12. Bob Spumoni

Bob Spumoni Strat-Talker

I keep my picks in a little brass try he made, right alongside my recliner, on top of my Blues Junior.

Monkeyboy likes this.
  13. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    Well crap, now you've gone and proven you do have a useful side to you. WTF dude? Mind blown. :p

14. Lovnmesomestrat

Lovnmesomestrat Strat-O-Master

I have to agree with Brian, these are beautiful pieces of work my friend!

Very impressive and even more so that some of that dates back to your high school days.

LMSS

3bolt79, Silvercrow and Monkeyboy like this.
  15. Monkeyboy

That's a really interesting bit; thanks !

3bolt79, Silvercrow and Bob Spumoni like this.
  16. Monkeyboy

deliverance.gif

Yeah I just come here to throw poop, mostly :D;):thumb::whistling::D

3bolt79 and Lovnmesomestrat like this.
  17. Monkeyboy

pwe.jpg

3bolt79, CalicoSkies and Bodean like this.
  18. Believer7713

Believer7713 Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

Absolutely beautiful work.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

3bolt79 and Monkeyboy like this.
  19. Monkeyboy

So, while I'm on my favorite subject, me, here's a vid of the kind of tools I make now (since 1987, for
    many thousands of jewelry makers and metal artists). I have my own niche with these tools. Traditional
    tool& die makers won't mess with such low-tech tooling, and the craftspeople I sell the dies to generally don't
    want to make their own, or can't do it well.

TVvoodoo, Hairy Bear, Bodean and 2 others like this.
  20. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Awesome work.

3bolt79 and Monkeyboy like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.