1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

More Sparkle Out Of A Peavey?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Opj77, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Opj77

Opj77 Strat-Talker

Working to upgrade my Peavey Bravo 112. Supposedly an old poor man’s kinda not really Marshall clone. It is pretty mid heavy, by design. The speakers are the known weakness. I’ve tried a V30 and didn’t like it all. I really like the amp but I want to get a little bit more sparkle and low end, both. Can I achieve this with a speaker? Do American voiced speakers do well in these sort of amps? I can’t really afford to run through different speakers.

2. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

I'd suggest checking out the youtube channel Johann Segeborn, he has a lot of speaker, cabinet, and amp testing. One video he shows twenty-seven different Celestion speakers.

Make sure your guitar pickups are not muddy and causing you trouble, which can be improved with pots 'n caps swaps.

rockon1, Opj77 and Handsome McClane like this.
  3. Stevem

Stevem Senior Stratmaster

I would first try changing coupling cap C46 from its current value of .047 uf @400 volts to a .022uf at 400 volts.

This will knock out a fair amount of mid's and make the highs stand out more and the lows to some extent.

Sarnodude, Nick L Plate and Robins like this.
  4. Opj77

Opj77 Strat-Talker

If only I could do that!

5. Cold Shot

Cold Shot Strat-O-Master

Sounds like you need a G12T-75.

Opj77 likes this.
  6. rockon1

rockon1 Strat-O-Master

For the bravo Id go british. Stevem made a good suggestion.-check out some speaker comparisons.

My Peavey Ultra is pretty dark as well. I usually have the treble way up , mids cut back and bass at noon.

7. Cold Shot

Cold Shot Strat-O-Master

My Ultra 112 is dark as well. I put an Eminence Swamp Thang in it. It SLAYS.

Opj77 and rockon1 like this.
  8. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

Easiest thing to do is put a pedal in front of it. Or pedals. I get a lot of sparkle out of my Budda (an amp know for being a bit dark) using a Klon Clone in conjunction with a Plexi pedal. I quit chasing speakers after a couple of attempts and just try to mold the sound using the amp's controls, guitar's controls, pickup height and pedals.

Opj77 likes this.
  9. Opj77

Opj77 Strat-Talker

I’m afraid to make it even more mid pushed. I’ve watched dozens of speaker comparisons and realize it’s impossible to tell how they will fair in my amp.

10. Opj77

Opj77 Strat-Talker

I can’t tell if my amp is dark or thin. One minute it sounds muddy so I hit the bright channel and it sounds good. I come back later and turn it on, all of the sudden the bright sounds shrill. Ha.

11. Opj77

Opj77 Strat-Talker

How would you describe this speaker?

12. rockon1

rockon1 Strat-O-Master

Unfortunately you tried one of the honkiest speakers Celestion offers -the V30.
    It might be helpful to know what youre after- clean sparkle? Brighter dirty tone? On the gain channel I have the mids backed way down and the treble way up. Used to bother me to have to do so but not any more.

Paperback Rocker likes this.
  13. rockon1

rockon1 Strat-O-Master

Ive been playing my Ultra the last few days thru a well broken in G12K-100. Its a real sleeper in the Celestion line up. Good low end, solid midrange and not to bright (as in piercing) but not dark either. That said this one is well broken in and softened up in the last 10 years. I feel it was more aggressive sounding new.

Robins and Opj77 like this.
  14. JimmyDee

JimmyDee Strat-Talk Member

Have you checked out Weber? They have a huge line of speakers that emulate famous brands as well as many of their own voicing.

Their Blue Dog is a very popular upgrade for a lot of peavey owners that had the Blue Marvel as a factory speaker. I put one in my USA Classic 30 and was very, very happy with it. You should email their customer service guy; they'll ask you what you're looking for and make a recommendation. And they're all USA made!

Opj77 likes this.
  15. Nick L Plate

Nick L Plate Strat-Talk Member

I now buy Weber speakers almost exclusively -- WGS as well sometimes -- because they are makers who describe their products accurately. The other makers, like Celestions Eminence, and the online dealers are so determined to make sales that they describe everything with ridiculous language that is unhelpful and not even true. Chimey and full of air, yet also capable of massive thump and drive... loud yet soft, trebly yet bassy too... The samew is true of online forums, though there at least people are talking about the speakers in their own amps (and the amp is at least as responsible for the output as the speaker). Sometimes an outboard graphic EQ will let you shape your signal in a way that works better with your amp.

Opj77 likes this.
  16. rockon1

rockon1 Strat-O-Master

Guess Im a Celestion guy. Ive tried Eminance, WGS and Weber. Havent tried Scumback. I always return to Celestions.

Opj77 likes this.
  17. Opj77

Opj77 Strat-Talker

I did. They suggested the FG150 or something like that, with light dope. How does the Blue Dog sound?

18. tubejockey

tubejockey Strat-Talker

Try removing some of the doping from the surround on one of your speakers. Acetone does a good job usually. It opens up the high end a lot.

19. JimmyDee

JimmyDee Strat-Talk Member

It sounded great in comparison to the stock speaker. I realize it's a differently voiced amp than yours but the stock speaker was dark, muddy. I couldn't get it to breakup unless I had the thing dimed (although it sounded great when I did... there was no master volume on them). The difference with the Blue Dog was immediately noticeable after I installed it and it got warmer as it broke in. I think mine was a 50W. It just "opened" up the amp. I could get the speaker to breakup at gigable volumes instead of cranked.

Classic 30s were known to be mid heavy, but I can't say I'm familiar with your amp.

There's a decent discussion at this link: https://www.harmonycentral.com/foru...for-classic-30-weber-blue-dog-or-silver-bell/

You said your amp is a "poor man's marshall... sort of" so maybe it would benefit from a Silver Bell? I'm not familiar with the FG150, the 12F150 is an American voiced Jensen/Blackface Fender speaker replacement. You're looking for more low and high, right?

Opj77 likes this.
  20. Cold Shot

Cold Shot Strat-O-Master

Sorry for the late reply. I'd say it's a V30, but a bit more mid-dy and more old school sounding.

Opj77 likes this.