More than one tele?

Intune

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
I have a few Strats but only one tele. I don’t even look at any because I don’t think it would ever see any play time due to the one I have. Strats are Strats, all mine are very similar in specs but all sound/feel and play different I can justify buying more.

I think me being a bass player and searching for a certain tone, finally finding it with my current bass rig, I never look at any basses or bass amps ever. It’s the same with this tele, it’s tone, feel and build quality makes it so I don’t feel the need to look elsewhere because I know it probably won’t get played.

Anyone else have this feeling when it comes to a certain, guitar, bass or amp?

Last edited:

Mr Jagsquire

Strat-O-Master
Sep 26, 2020
Berkshire
Kind of....I don't feel the need to have more than one of a type of guitar, except building a back up for my avatar Strat because I've owned it for nearly 40 years and don't want to risk it at gigs. Even then it's 'back up' is deliberately as different as I could make it and still be SSS. They are '57 spec and early '60s spec (but with a fatter neck), but I wouldn't see the point in buying something like an AO50s or 60s even in a different colour because the differences would be too subtle for me: I feel I've got Strats covered, especially given the other guitars I own in terms of different pickup type options like HH or P90s.

I do have more than one Tele, though: One is an SS standard style Tele, another has a neck humbucker and higher output bridge pickup, plus a much fatter neck. The third is really a Gretsch replacement as it has a pair of TV Jones pickups I original had on a Gretsch which I decided I didn't like the feel of, so I put the original ones back on it and used the TV Jones on a self build Tele/Cabronita for a more familiar feel, but the sound I wanted.

I've got one acoustic and one bass guitar because that's all I need. Perhaps I should have been stricter with my electric guitar collection, but I had a good job and not many outgoings, so it was easier to succumb to GAS. Now I'm going into semi retirement I have to be much more careful with my money, so I'm even clearing out some of the gear I have to help keep me going until various pensions kick in. It puts a different perspective on having multiple guitars in subtle variations, especially as I tend to only play the 'back up' Strat at our gigs.

Guy Incognito

Senior Stratmaster
May 14, 2019
Here and now
I have a few Strats but only one tele. I don’t even look at any because I don’t think it would ever see any play time due to the one I have. Strats are Strats, all mine are very similar in specs but all sound/feel and play different I can justify buying more.

I think me being a bass player and searching for a certain tone, finally finding it with my current bass rig, I never look at any basses or bass amps ever. It’s the same with this tele, it’s tone, feel and build quality makes it so I don’t feel the need to look elsewhere because I know it probably won’t get played.

I have a Gibson Lucille. Though I currently also own an Epiphone Sheraton I only bought it to flip and haven't done it yet.

Otherwise I think I'm pretty set for 335 style guitars. There's nothing you can do on any of those other ones that you can't do on a Lucille. At least nothing I want to do.

When it comes Strats and Teles apparently there isn't a reasonable maximum number for me.

BuddyHollywood

Strat-O-Master
Jul 22, 2011
Venice, CA
I built my Telecaster during the 2020-2021 lockdown with a Broadcaster bridge pickup, a Twisted Tele neck pickup and a 4 way switch. It takes care of the "everyone needs a Telecaster" for me so I'm set. If Telecasters were my all time favorite guitars then I may want different variations.

stormsedge

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 7, 2012
East Tennessee, USA
I have seven Strats and six Teles...all different pickup combinations.
I haven't found a need for any other variations, except the other guitars :sneaky:.
First world...I get it 🎸.

Stu78

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 20, 2019
Scotland

I'm a bass player that learned how to play guitar. I own one bass and I am unlikely to buy another one anytime soon. Own one Tele, that'll do. Can never have too many Strats though. 😉

Intune

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
Yes all good points, everyone definitely needs a telecaster. So maybe this one does it all for me because that’s all I want and expect from a tele. This one is a 50’s broadcaster and has the dreaded dark circuit which I actually love.

Strats on the other hand it’s like I need a bunch for different reasons. Like I said they’re all very similar looking but different tone wise to justify many.

@ibdrkn1 I had a epiphone Lucille for a period of time. It would definitely fill my 335 needs. It’s on my used look out list.

Baelzebub

Dr. Stratster
Nov 1, 2019
State of Disbelief
I have two Teles. Main one is a Baja which is my go to but I keep it tuned to open G for Stone's/Keef stuff.

My backup, for everything else, is a 2007 Candy Cola American Tele with American hot pickups. Been thinning the herd and struggling over whether that one stays or goes, but it's so damn pretty and those American Hots are so crisp, I can't make up my mind one way or the other.

Baelzebub

Dr. Stratster
Nov 1, 2019
State of Disbelief
I built my Telecaster during the 2020-2021 lockdown with a Broadcaster bridge pickup, a Twisted Tele neck pickup and a 4 way switch. It takes care of the "everyone needs a Telecaster" for me so I'm set. If Telecasters were my all time favorite guitars then I may want different variations.
Sounds like a Baja setup. What kind of neck did you put on it?

Intune

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
Kind of....I don't feel the need to have more than one of a type of guitar, except building a back up for my avatar Strat because I've owned it for nearly 40 years and don't want to risk it at gigs. Even then it's 'back up' is deliberately as different as I could make it and still be SSS. They are '57 spec and early '60s spec (but with a fatter neck), but I wouldn't see the point in buying something like an AO50s or 60s even in a different colour because the differences would be too subtle for me: I feel I've got Strats covered, especially given the other guitars I own in terms of different pickup type options like HH or P90s.

I do have more than one Tele, though: One is an SS standard style Tele, another has a neck humbucker and higher output bridge pickup, plus a much fatter neck. The third is really a Gretsch replacement as it has a pair of TV Jones pickups I original had on a Gretsch which I decided I didn't like the feel of, so I put the original ones back on it and used the TV Jones on a self build Tele/Cabronita for a more familiar feel, but the sound I wanted.

I've got one acoustic and one bass guitar because that's all I need. Perhaps I should have been stricter with my electric guitar collection, but I had a good job and not many outgoings, so it was easier to succumb to GAS. Now I'm going into semi retirement I have to be much more careful with my money, so I'm even clearing out some of the gear I have to help keep me going until various pensions kick in. It puts a different perspective on having multiple guitars in subtle variations, especially as I tend to only play the 'back up' Strat at our gigs.

Maybe that’s what’s happening here. I’m still a few years away from retirement but have had a steady good paying job forever now. I mean I still had a budget for gear spending but I got what I wanted.

The last few years with the way things are going I’ve cut way back on gear and play what I have. I did acquire some key pieces I was after so the hunt was over in the guitar amp, bass and bass amp category.

It definitely has put a different perspective on gear hunts these days. Do I really need another something something is what I usually do now.

I only realized after playing this tele that I don’t ever look for another one or a variation of it.

Guy Incognito

Senior Stratmaster
May 14, 2019
Here and now
Yes all good points, everyone definitely needs a telecaster. So maybe this one does it all for me because that’s all I want and expect from a tele. This one is a 50’s broadcaster and has the dreaded dark circuit which I actually love.

Strats on the other hand it’s like I need a bunch for different reasons. Like I said they’re all very similar looking but different tone wise to justify many.

@ibdrkn1 I had a epiphone Lucille for a period of time. It would definitely fill my 335 needs. It’s on my used look out list.
If someone were to force me to choose only 1 guitar it would probably be the Lucille. However, I would probably also loose interest in music. Guitars are my only passion/vise & I get a lot of joy from having a variety of them. Only one is needed but all are enjoyed.

Intune

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
If someone were to force me to choose only 1 guitar it would probably be the Lucille. However, I would probably also loose interest in music. Guitars are my only passion/vise & I get a lot of joy from having a variety of them. Only one is needed but all are enjoyed.

Oh yeah one guitar, that won’t work. I love variety. I guess I’ve had so many over the years that I know what I want spec and tone wise. Maybe I’m just not a tele guy so this one is all I need. Which I’m fine with because it to me is the definition of a tele/broadcaster/nocaster.

However I still have plenty of Strats and a jag in case I get board. Then again every Friday is jam night and I’m playing my pbass 95% of the time. Sometimes someone will sub in and I get to play guitar.

dirocyn

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 20, 2018
Murfreesboro, TN
I did have 3 Strats. And the 3rd one I got was head and shoulders above the other two--so I gave one away and traded the other. Now I have one Strat. I've tried a few since I got that one--but nothing seemed enough better to bother with. Not yet anyway.

I have one Tele. I don't really need another, the one I've got covers it pretty well. I don't need another one. Until I find one I like better, anyway.

Stu78

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 20, 2019
Scotland
A recent acquisition. The only Tele I'll ever need. It satisfies my irrational Gibson cravings whist still being quintisentially a Tele. Covers a load of genres for what it is, workman like! I'm sure @Ebidis would agree. Owned a Deluxe a few years back which was great but the Custom is almost the perfect Tele design IMO. Here's both for comparision.
Screenshot_20220312-191851_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20220312-162039_Gallery.jpg

Telecaster582

Strat-Talker
Feb 21, 2022
Muskegon MI
It takes up my wall space having more of one. I find one I like, then keep it. If I do get two or more of the same, I try to get different models, for example, a regular Tele and then a Tele deluxe thinline. Or an HSS strat instead of the regular SSS. That's how I usually go about it.