Morning guitar. Does anyone else spend any time playing in the morning?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Justin226, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Justin226

Justin226 Strat-O-Master

Muscle memory is a real thing!

2. Stratman84

Stratman84 Strat-Talker

I plan on playing tonight until the wee morning hours... The wife just made up a blender of margaritas and sat down at the piano... The sound of “Moon Dance” is filling the air... Time to get my Bass on... I Love Friday Nights!

3. Justin226

Justin226 Strat-O-Master

Ah man, I’m so happy for you. It’s a real blessing to have a musical partner. And margaritas!

Stratman84 likes this.
  4. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

i used to sit on the porch with coffee and my 12 string acoustic on the weekends. time to start that again !

Stratman84 and Bob the builder like this.
  5. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

Most days I play in the morning.

And in the afternoon.

And in the evening.

publius and Bob the builder like this.
  6. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Same here. Headphones 95% of the time. Not my preference, but way better than not playing at all.

Thrup'ny Bit and Mouse like this.
  7. mthatcher61

mthatcher61 New Member!

I am up at 5:00 AM also . On the weekends I will sleep in till 5:15 :) In the weekdays I play till 7:50 and then I go to work. I LOVE playing in the early morning. I have a small amp but I also use an ME80 to headphones. I also have the Waza Air headset too. I like the ME80 because I can input my iphone or ipad for itunes and youtube. Great for learning. The Waza gets kind of hokey when its bluetoothing from my phone. Especially if I'm rewinding youtubes and slowing them down.

8. Tanneman

Tanneman New Member!

I only play when I’m drunk. And I can’t force myself to start drinking that early. Fine suggestion, though.

9. Boyd L

Boyd L Strat-Talk Member

Some of my best "futzing and noodling" time. Usually begins during the second half of the first cup of coffee.

10. keys88

keys88 Strat-Talker

I’ve worked from home for years (graphic design and photography). My guitars are set up in the same space as my studio so they’re always within reach. I don’t plan out a specific playing schedule, but I usually take a couple breaks throughout the day to stretch my legs and play for a bit. It’s also a great creativity booster whenever I’m stuck on a project.

11. zedax

zedax Strat-Talk Member

I pulled that short straw too. Fret hand pinkie & if pick hand would hardly be a problem.. Had injections and snapping twice but it returns. No pain whilst playing The contractures can burn occasionally Reduces fret stretch whist modern rock employs it ever more. Sod's Law but hey, not arthritis, Big C or rigor mortis. Plus side is that I am handsome, charismatic & talented liar. I play whenever I get a chance and the inclination which is 30-60min. winter & maybe in Summer. What's the point - it's all been done at a standard unattainable and gigging impossible. I ran a covers band in London.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021 at 8:52 AM
    T Bone Slort likes this.
  12. Hydr0

Hydr0 Senior Stratmaster

I started a new job this year. I leave my apt at 7am and usually get home after 6:30pm, mentally exhausted. After a couple hours speaking to my wife and eating dinner, it’s been about an hour of mindless TV and back to bed. My playing time has suffered. I wake up at 5:30am, but thinking is waking up earlier to get some morning practice time in before work, haven’t tried it yet though. Playing a couple hours on weekends isn’t enough, I find I’m a more pleasant person when I play a little guitar each day. I’ve gotta do something, but cutting back on work isn’t an option for me now. Oh yea, gotta figure out a 30-45 min workout in there at some point too, probably even more important than guitar. Anyway, there are worse problems in the world, I’ll figure it out...

13. publius

publius Strat-Talk Member

Yes I enjoy the 'Quiet" time the very early pre dawn hours provide. We older fellows as some may know tend to fall asleep earlyish in the evening and wake up earlyish in the morning. Depending on the season
    this is my habit rising anywhere from 3 A.M. till about 5 A.M. Once I shake away the arthritis from the fret hand and left shoulder I will generally play and or practice / fiddle about on the Champion 110 Practice Amp in the
    downstairs den, with numerous pauses to refill the coffee cup.... and although they do not deserve it, spare the neighbors the joy of my eclectic stylings from the upstairs tubes.
    I also have a seldom used small Fender Bronco Tweed Solid State Amp in a middle upstairs bedroom placed there to spare the neighbors with the additional sound buffers ( beds, couches &c.)
    which will sometimes get the early morning call. Both of those have headphone jacks which I do not use. I am eyeing to add to the collection a Fender Pro Jr, Blues, Jr.
    or maybe a VOX AC10-XX whatever.... for a smaller morning tube player. All bets then are off.
    As seems to be a general consensus among a good many responders..... Morning, Noon, Afternoon, Night. Yes..... and on whatever guitar is in place when I pass by.
    Sometimes I just can not resist and grab from the stand the nearest available axe and go man, go.

T Bone Slort likes this.
  14. mthatcher61

mthatcher61 New Member!

"this is my habit rising anywhere from 3 A.M. till about 5 A.M. Once I shake away the arthritis from the fret hand and left shoulder I will generally play and or practice / fiddle about on the Champion 110 Practice Amp in the
    downstairs den, with numerous pauses to refill the coffee cup.... and although they do not deserve it, spare the neighbors the joy of my eclectic stylings from the upstairs tubes."

My too, I used to play strictly fiddle in the morning (thank God the wife sleeps with a noise machine and ear plugs), but now that I am getting back into the guitar, specifically the strat, I am bouncing back and forth between the two. (the Strat is winning the tug of war) . A slave to two masters. I'm looking to get a small tube amp as well, either the Blues Jr (maybe too loud), pro Jr, 57' Custom Champ, for the tube goodness or the Champion 600 or GDEC for the options. One thing for sure is I want to be able to use my pedals. Some amps are better than others with Pedals?

15. Stevn

Stevn Strat-O-Master

yes. In the morning. When the neighbor sleeps. :)
    Everyday “the crew” is waiting. 260289CE-B2AC-495E-A4F9-B88B3FD9BC83.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021 at 3:17 PM
  16. cglasford

cglasford Strat-Talk Member

If I didn't have kids I would. I like to do it on the weekend in the summer, with a cup of coffee on the deck while the kids play in the back yard.

T Bone Slort likes this.
  17. ClosetSciFiGeek

ClosetSciFiGeek Strat-Talk Member

I live in a terrible urban area and traffic is a nightmare as is parking where I work so I have softened all those blows by coming in to work dumb early, getting good parking and an easy commute and I leave a classical guitar in my office. I sit and play Bach, Sor, etc.. until I "clock in". I call it eating my veggies (playing my classical guitar) because it makes all my other playing better. They say that the first thing you do every morning is the most important because people aren't awake to stop you from doing it yet with other priorities that will inevitably take over. I get dessert when I go home (I beat my wife home and can turn up the amp) plug in my Strat to my Marshall Silver Jubilee clone (Ceriatone 2550) and get the Led out or other somesuch stuff I am playing at the moment!

T Bone Slort likes this.
  18. T Bone Slort

T Bone Slort "Was you ever bit by a dead bee?" Silver Member

Yikes, sounds like your's is much worse than mine.
    At least if I don't go too hard on it I can control the contracture with rest, although I can never get my ring finger to lay flat with the others.
    I've read that it has something to do with Scottish ancestry, somehow I'm not surprised :whistling:

19. Rutiger

Rutiger Strat-Talk Member

I'm retired. Old. I have NEVER used the swill. But I have a strum 1st thing after donning my rags in the morning, last thing before bedtime prepping at night and lots of guitar time throughout the day. I can't say I'm getting any better at it maybe becuz I'm a solitary player. But while my devotion baffles myself I am so grateful for it. My guitars and of course my beloved wife, make my every day really terrific!

Stevn and T Bone Slort like this.
  20. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Strat-Talker