Morning guitar. Does anyone else spend any time playing in the morning?

T Bone Slort

"Was you ever bit by a dead bee?"
Silver Member
Jan 7, 2014
Gibsons, British Columbia
I'm retired. Old. I have NEVER used the swill. But I have a strum 1st thing after donning my rags in the morning, last thing before bedtime prepping at night and lots of guitar time throughout the day. I can't say I'm getting any better at it maybe becuz I'm a solitary player. But while my devotion baffles myself I am so grateful for it. My guitars and of course my beloved wife, make my every day really terrific!
I hear you. If it weren't for my guitars, being stuck in the house for over a year because of Covid would have been unbearable.
My routine for the past year has been playing guitar and making my wife laugh as much as possible (not hard because i'm a goof).

Esg877

Strat-Talker
Sep 27, 2015
Brazil
I didn't even realize I typed it like that. My son corrects me all the time. He is almost 6 and he loves that stupid, low-res game. He plays it like the people on YT, yelling at their screen. We set it on some constructor mode so he does mostly building and constructing things. There are a few YT'ers that he watches play. He definitely learns a lot about the game from them.

My wife wanted me to learn to play so I can help our son.

I told her...if I have time to play, I should play a guitar. I told myself that back when Playstation 1 came out, and I haven't played a game since then.

I know when my son is ready for more advanced games, I'll have to learn to play, and I know the guitars will gather some dust.

Seems to be a trend indeed all around the world. My daughter here in Brazil and all her friends play and watch "mindcraft" (lol) on YT all the time. I used to think it was stupid, until she showed me an entire village she had built from scratch, with complex houses, gardens, roads, towers, furniture, decoration and lots of little details that were downright amazing for the attention spam of a 7 yo. So I changed my mind about that game.

She also plays Roblox, and that one I learned to play w/ her, because it's not so boring and she is ecstatic when I do. I think it's a fair time to take out of guitar practice, considering that soon she'll be a teenager and will want nothing to do with me anymore. Have to enjoy those fleeting early years. :)

As for the OP question: night player here. I'm more inspired to play at night. I find playing relaxes me, and its a good way to get my head off the daily problems. I also think the blues and rock I play have a 'night vibe' to them, if that makes any sense. They would sound out of place in the mornings. I'd love to be a morning person, and I've tried many times, but to no avail.

Yaralag

Senior Stratmaster
Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
Most mornings for me (after walking the dog) begin with coffee and about a half hour on the couch, doing some finger strengthening exercises while I catch a bit of news before work. I was just thinking about how much I like to have my guitar with me while I drink my morning coffee. I built it into my work schedule. The only day I don’t do it is Friday...I have to be in early on Friday and wake up at 6:30 instead of 7. Not a morning person.
Quite often I play before everyone else is awake. It’s a time to focus and gets my day started right.

rzzzy1

Strat-Talk Member
Aug 3, 2020
Canberra Australia
For the last 30 years every morning is the same - 1-2 hours of scales, arps and related exercises, then another ~1hour of creative stuff. Then in the afternoon I get onto learning new things, composing..... Such is life for a guitar addict.

StummerJoe

Senior Stratmaster
May 10, 2020
Washington
When I saw the title to this thread I automatically thought of a joke that could so get me banned.:whistling:

Freakin' hard to resist!

CAR63

Strat-Talker
Sep 11, 2012
central calif.
For the last 30 years every morning is the same - 1-2 hours of scales, arps and related exercises, then another ~1hour of creative stuff. Then in the afternoon I get onto learning new things, composing..... Such is life for a guitar addict.
Sounds like work to me ! Should be fun !!

GuitarGeni

Strat-Talk Member
Mar 21, 2021
Woodstown, NJ
Most mornings for me (after walking the dog) begin with coffee and about a half hour on the couch, doing some finger strengthening exercises while I catch a bit of news before work. I was just thinking about how much I like to have my guitar with me while I drink my morning coffee. I built it into my work schedule. The only day I don’t do it is Friday...I have to be in early on Friday and wake up at 6:30 instead of 7. Not a morning person.
Yep. Pretty much all throughout the day, but morning is good if my hands aren't too stiff.

Tguitarfloyd

Strat-Talker
Aug 5, 2020
Tucson AZ
Yeppers....make some coffee when my eyes crack open around the break of noon. Prop 3 or 4 pillows and lean back with a Strat sans amp, playing and jamming along on my cellphone with Tommy Bukovac or Chris Buck or Matthew Scott or RJ Ronquillo or Baxter & Jonathan or Captain Lee and Pete or any other YouTube players that are jamming that day. That gets my day started on the right track.
Depending on the day I might go gig that night or play a set at one of the local Blues Jams. At 74, got to keep the chops honed to the proper degree. Sometimes I get to jam with Fender###, one of our Strat Talk members and a fine young Blues guitarist who also has amazing luck or skill at unearthing fine vintage planks.
Aah yes....life is what you make it!

BigDan

Strat-Talker
Jan 8, 2021
Columbia sc
I can't keep my eyes open at night. A morning practice session was my routine when I was working. Retired now but it worked for me then.
Now I play whenever I want.