Most cost effective method to ship from the US to Australia?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by GlockandRoll, Jan 14, 2022.

1. GlockandRoll

GlockandRoll Strat-Talk Member

Have a guitar on Reverb that an Aussie buyer is interested in, and wants a shipping qoute, but i've never shipped there and it looks like UPS is crazy expensive and looking for alternatives.
    Thanks in advance.

2. jvin248

jvin248 Most Honored Senior Member

I've always heard it is crazy expensive to ship there. Some Australian guitar players know this, expect it.

Will the regular US post office give you a number? Sometimes they are less expensive (sending other freight there anyway).

I just bought some rusty and heavy tractor parts from a state away and the seller sent it via USPS for a third what UPS quoted.

3. GlockandRoll

I haven't thought about USPS, I guess they do ship out of the states?

4. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I answered a similar question over on Squier-Talk last week. ;)

I typically use Pirate Ship https://www.pirateship.com/ for favorable rates on USPS and UPS when shipping books. I am well and painfully aware of the shipping situation between the USA and Australia. I had a high-dollar book, shipped by a 'consolidated' shipping service, in limbo for 5 weeks before it landed at its AU destination.

With USPS, currently, it's highly unlikely you can ship a guitar to Australia. They're only offering the highest-end international rate and, IMO, you'd probably drop dead upon seeing the cost, which won't happen because they won't ship that size parcel with that service.

It's an unreliable time for international shipping, particularly to AU, but I'd do a free sign-up with Pirate Ship and use their UPS rates. There are other shippers and services, some you can access and some you can't as an individual, but I recommend UPS via Pirate Ship as the least hassle and most likely to be delivered in your lifetime. Pirate Ship's UPS rate is lower than going direct to UPS.

Triple Jim likes this.
  5. GlockandRoll

yeah, I always hate the questions I get from Aussies on reverb, asking if I can discount the price so they dont have to pay so much taxes.
    I'm like "Dude, I can put that you paid $100 on the shipment manifesto, that's between you and your ****-ass government, but I'm not taking less than X" lol.

stratocarlster likes this.
  6. Uncle Bill

Uncle Bill Strat-Talk Member

What about ShipNerd

7. MugHimself

MugHimself Strat-Talker

Just curious what would the shipping cost?

8. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Strat-Talker

Wait six months, see where covid is, then reassess.

Dave Harmon likes this.
  9. BuddhaFingas

BuddhaFingas Senior Stratmaster

Ground freight.

10. Cymro

Cymro Strat-Talker

I had some guitar parts sent from family in Florida to the UK via USPS last week. Took less than 5 days door to door with full tracking.

11. GhostJam47

GhostJam47 Strat-O-Master

book a cruise and pack it in your bag :p

12. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Don't do that. AU customs isn't stupid and they'll make your CUSTOMER suffer for YOUR fraud. It's bad business.

13. Blue Beagle

Blue Beagle Senior Stratmaster

I always remove the option of international buyers on Reverb.

Yes I’m limiting the potential buyers to just the UK but it’s not worth the effort shipping internationally. The gear always sells for what I’ve got it listed for, it may just take a couple more weeks.

FrieAsABird and GlockandRoll like this.
  14. GlockandRoll

Looks like USPS Global Express is the fastest and cheapest way, but they still want $310. UPS was $450. I mean, I get it, it's a big box at 44x18x6, but it's a light guitar in a padded gig bag and doesn't even weigh 18lbs. Strangely enough, it seems like more and more, most of the questions I get from Reverb are from Australia, and there is a reminder when replying to them, that they are from Australia from the reverb system. It sounds like someone in country needs to get busy making guitars!

15. GlockandRoll

I'm not commiting fraud. I'm just replying to them that what they owe their government and what they owe me are mutually exclusive. I don't care what he has to pay the commie bastards, it doesn't affect what I'm selling my guitar for, not one bit :)

stratocarlster likes this.
  16. stratocarlster

stratocarlster Most Honored Senior Member

A lot of people try to sell their guitars, particularly anything old/collectible, for crazy money here so it can work out much cheaper buying from the US even after wearing the high freight charges. Not that I would be brave enough to take the risk!

17. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

FedEx has always proven the best for the several thousand guitars I have shipped over the years.